News Stand up’: Dogs’ big issue ‘reared its head again’ — and Barrett has run out of patience

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Trent Barrett is done making excuses for his halfbacks and wants either Jake Averillo or Kyle Flanagan to stand up and take ownership of the Bulldogs attacking end of sets.

In the aftermath of his side’s 16-16 draw with the Knights in their second last trial before the season kicks off, Barrett admitted his side are still struggling with their fifth tackle options, an issue that plagued them all last season.

“Yeah, look, it was a funny one tonight,” Barrett told Fox League.

“I said pre-game I was worried, or, not worried, but our set ends were going to be really important.

And it was what we had problems with last year. And it reared its head again tonight. That’s why Burton’s been brought to the club.

“He’ll obviously be our dominant playmaker, our dominant kicker. But we need the [No.] 7 to stand up.”

Jake Averillo, who was Barrett’s preferred halfback for much of 2021 started the trial at No.7, but only managed 31 run metres and nine tackles with zero try or linebreak involvements.

Flanagan, who has fallen out of favour with Barrett since being let go by the Roosters and brought to the club on a substantial three-year deal, had zero run metres, zero try or linebreak involvements and an error in limited minutes.

In Burton’s absence, starting five-eighth Brandon Wakeham was probably the pick of the halves with 23 run metres, an offload and a linebreak assist.

However neither of the three are consistently creating opportunities for their teammates to score when in good field position, which will place plenty of pressure on Burton to carry the team’s attack.

Barrett admits his side need to get better at icing the end of their sets or they won’t climb up the ladder in a hurry after finishing last season with the wooden spoon.

“I thought we were scratchy in parts of our attack; not a lot of continuity there, which I thought would happen,” Barrett said.

“But we got a fair bit of good ball there at the back end of the game, and we just need someone to stand up and take control of the side.

“They’re young, I get it. But that’s the job, and we’ve got some work to do this week.”

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Each half will look a lot better next to Burton and with Fox etc in the team. Still, it's a shame none of them appear to have improved on their weaknesses in the offseason and none of them took the opportunity.

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If ado car and dufty come into the spine we will have more potency.
We don’t have weeks again to waste with deciding a 6 and 7 pairing it’s madness,Flanagan again a flop.
Let’s hope Barrett can put a rocket up them out attack is still woefull !

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
It's just a trial and you have to wait til Burton, Fox etc are back and a few weeks into the season til we get a definitive answer as to what team we'll be and how they gel.... But it was still slightly concerning to see the same predictable attacking structures, very little support play and too many basic errors or poor decisions. At least our line speed in defence was better..

Hopefully the attacking issues are addressed soon. As much as the players need to step up and prove themselves, Baz and the rest of the coaches probably have more to prove after last season. They can't just rely on better talent to get results. The structures and coaching need to improve too..

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Pull the trigger Barrett dufty and Burton pairing will do wonders.
And throw ado Carr to fullback.
dufty is not defensively capable to play 6 in the front line with the edge defenders running at him. Leave at fullback, we just need to solve the 7, lets wait until Burton plays on Monday night.

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Baz knows he needs to fix this shit yesterday because Gus will not tolerate mediocrity for much longer. I wouldn't be surprised if Baz is flicked before the end of the season if we keep attacking like this. I don't care how good our defense is, or how many attacking guns we have in our side but if our fucking forwards keep getting the ball at first receiver in the opposition 20 it's going to be a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG year (for us fans....Baz will be sacked before round 20)

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Remind me again why we blew big money on Kiki and didn't make an offer for Reynolds?
He'd be the ideal halves partner for Burton.. I think us and other clubs were scared off by him wanting 900k for 3 more years at his age and with his knee issues.

He's been playing through injuries for years. Souths would barely let him train during the season so he could play games.. He's still a great player though and Souths will regret not keeping him. But those were their concerns and the way other clubs were probably thinking.. He's barely trained for Brisbane the last few weeks with similar issues.. But when he plays, he's one of the best halfbacks in the comp. And he's shown he plays through pain and injuries..

Last edited:

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
He'd be the ideal halves partner for Burton.. I think us and other clubs were scared off by him wanting 900k for 3 more years at his age and with his knee issues.

He's been playing through injuries for years. Souths would barely let him train during the season so he could play games.. Obviously he's still a great player now and Souths will massively regret not keeping him. But those was their concerns and the way other clubs were probably thinking..

He's barely trained for Brisbane the last few weeks with similar issues.. But when he plays, he's one of the best halfbacks in the comp. And he's shown he plays through pain and injuries..
Thank you.

Now the real question, any halfbacks available for 23?

Philmus

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
There were some serious issues last night but give it another 6 days, see how the team goes against Cronulla with the actual starting backline + Hetherington and also the one we've all been waiting for - Burton in the halves. Then we can make a serious assessment of where we're at.

I agree with Baz that one of these plodders need to take ownership of the 7 jumper and actually prove they want it and I'm pretty disappointed with Averillo's performance last night considering he knows the club has pinned its hopes on him playing 7 and he's had a season in 21 and a full preseason in 22 training there and he dished up absolute dross. I haven't seen them train this offseason, but maybe playing next to Burton who will become the dominant half, Averillo will improve as that's who he's been training with? Maybe with Cook at 9 whos far more competent in attacking football than JMK, it'll help Jake and Matt come 5th tackle?

We'll have to wait and see before we make any rash decisions. I hope for the club's sake that Jake actually fucking has a go Monday coming

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Averilo has been training there all offseason, so i think he will start with Burton. All the halves were terrible last night, Wakeham was the worst, the issue i have with BBO is he is still very young and he needs time in reserve grade. You dont want to kill him off, let him run the reserve grade team and get his confidence up.
It is only trial one, starting 17 next week. I would be more worried if Okinburr is in the starting 17 myself.

The__GM

Kennel Established
Reaction score
“I thought we were scratchy in parts of our attack; not a lot of continuity there, which I thought would happen,” Barrett said.

“But we got a fair bit of good ball there at the back end of the game, and we just need someone to stand up and take control of the side.

“They’re young, I get it. But that’s the job, and we’ve got some work to do this week.”
Good - so he should call them out. We sucked. The only player who looked to try and poke holes at the D and try and get us into an advantage was Josh Cook from Dummy Half. No one else tried to step up into first receiver and make something happen or build a set when we had some pressure on them in the second half. After last season there are no more excuses for 'youth' or 'inexperience'.