Trial Team News Bulldogs VS Knights

LoneWolf

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
It’s good to hear from the coach that our attack was last year and not much improved this game , even though it was a trial , focus would have been on finishing sets off .. we didn’t .

We started poorly and individual errors cost us . Almamoti you can excuse as he’s at least a season or 2 off first grade and his defensive reads needs to improve dramatically but Okunbor and Averillo is exactly the same shit we got last year .. sub standard performance with infrequent glimpses of quality .

Defensive structures looked solid looking forward to seeing our full left side in action

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Penrith played there reserve grade team, and it was smoother than what we dished up
I was impressed with Panthers and Dragons ball movement this weekend, very smooth

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
dont think the coach is the problem when the players themselves can't do the job on the footy field
It's all by design though. We literally ran that double block play every tackle in the oppositions red zone and the ball either died with the forward at first receiver or died with the half if the ball eventually made it to them because the defence was already in their face and had slid across. We were flat, lacked intensity and lacked any off the ball movement. Even the try Dufty setup was nothing flash, just bare basic ball movement well before the line finished off with a good long ball to a totally unmarked winger, I don't even think we had extra numbers lol.

There's obviously issues like JMK's awful service, lack of Yeo like ball player and sloppy errors, but I don't think we did anything more than play through motions tonight in attack....however if this IS what we plan on doing this season then Baz will be out the door and we will have a new coach for 23.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also JMK played against Knights FG team.

Cook was on when the seconds were playing so the standard is obviously lower.
This is a very important distinction. Cook should have dominated (if he was as good as JMK) since he was against mostly non-first graders. He still looks promising and showed some good IQ by causing 2 turnovers.

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
It's all by design though. We literally ran that double block play every tackle in the oppositions red zone and the ball either died with the forward at first receiver or died with the half if the ball eventually made it to them because the defence was already in their face and had slid across. We were flat, lacked intensity and lacked any off the ball movement. Even the try Dufty setup was nothing flash, just bare basic ball movement well before the line finished off with a good long ball to a totally unmarked winger, I don't even think we had extra numbers lol.

There's obviously issues like JMK's awful service, lack of Yeo like ball player and sloppy errors, but I don't think we did anything more than play through motions tonight in attack....however if this IS what we plan on doing this season then Baz will be out the door and we will have a new coach for 23.
The Dufty try reminds me of the try Flanagan passed for in rd
1 last year against Newy. Even a front row forward could have passed it along. Our attack is going to be shite this year

Bulldogz82

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He does look a natural 6 with that brilliant vision & cut out pass.
He will take some heat off Burton you would think because as it stands it looks like Burton will be doing all the organising, all the 5th tackle options and creating for the outside backs

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
It's usually the case that the back up players lift alot more in trials then the ones that have a spot secured, it's no excuse though. Very disappointed with Thompson today. For the money he's on he should be offering up alot more doesn't matter what players are around him
Did Thommo really run for 12m or was that a piss take? If true then that’s a piss take from him

Reactions: rfs

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
It's usually the case that the back up players lift alot more in trials then the ones that have a spot secured, it's no excuse though. Very disappointed with Thompson today. For the money he's on he should be offering up alot more doesn't matter what players are around him
Was he injured? Disappointing from Thommo but as stated we had no ball due to ill discipline and were playing mistakeathon footy.

Bulldogz82

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did Thommo really run for 12m or was that a piss take? If true then that’s a piss take from him
It might be right lol coz we had no ball first 20 min and I don't think he touched it when he came back on....very average for any salary let alone what he's on

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
It’s good to hear from the coach that our attack was last year and not much improved this game , even though it was a trial , focus would have been on finishing sets off .. we didn’t .

We started poorly and individual errors cost us . Almamoti you can excuse as he’s at least a season or 2 off first grade and his defensive reads needs to improve dramatically but Okunbor and Averillo is exactly the same shit we got last year .. sub standard performance with infrequent glimpses of quality .

Defensive structures looked solid looking forward to seeing our full left side in action
Defensive efforts were better collectively but was just individual lapses that cost us three tries

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
This is a very important distinction. Cook should have dominated (if he was as good as JMK) since he was against mostly non-first graders. He still looks promising and showed some good IQ by causing 2 turnovers.
I agree.

He was better than most around him but he is yet to make the step up in class.

Lets not forget how Deitz carved up in last years trial against the B team.

Not saying that Cook can't make it, just saying that comparing his performance to JMK the quality of the opposition needs to be taken into account.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
We had fuck all ball but he isn't dominant enough, Knights front row ran through him all game.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Will will rely heavily on our left edge and kicks in behind for them imo
1 last year against Newy. Even a front row forward could have passed it along. Our attack is going to be shite this year

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Yh, so like I'm saying we're either going to approach the real thing differently or we'req actually that bad and Baz is on the chopping block lol. I don't rate Baz but I'll try and be positive atleast until we play one competition game :tearsofjoy:

Bulldogz82

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
One positive to take out of tonight was the line speed in defence for the full 80, they really got In the knights face which took some heat off the rubbish attack