Official Gus on Twitter

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
That's pretty aewsome from the club if that's how it played out. Plus doesn't burn a bridge if he ever had the chance to return in the future.
And it gives players confidence that if circumstances change, as they do in all clubs, that Gus is a guy who understands the players, admin and club, and finds a way to work it out best in all their interests and most importantly do what's right by them.

I hope Nic was happy with the way it was handled but we can probably expect him to have a MOM performance against us first game against Raiders. Our opposing winger should be fired up to best him on that day and do his best to not let that happen :grinning: Such is the beauty of competitive sports.

Last edited:

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Fuck I hope Gus is lying here. Flanno is a disaster and the sooner we get him off the books the better. I'm sorry but I dont believe for one second that Gus rates him as a NRL half. Gus has one of the best eyes for talent and if we can see that Flanno is a dud then Gus would have spotted it from a mile away.

Shopping him off to England seems like our only option.
I'm not praising Flanno. But before the Roosters signed him and when we signed him there were a hell of a lot of people on here that jizzed over his signature. I only saw him in one juniors game before he played for us and thought the commentary team gave him huge raps for doing nothing. So I guess that whatever potential he showed as a youngster, the fact that his dad was an NRL coach probably meant that he stopped working on skills when he got to a passable level in the lower grades. I still have the feeling that a huge art of his issues now stem from the fact that neither he nor his father think he needs to improve much. Maybe if the coaching staff and Gould can change that line of thought he'll actually take some lessons on board and improve.

But if he's still here as depth this season so be it. Just hope he doesn't impede more promising youngsters.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not praising Flanno. But before the Roosters signed him and when we signed him there were a hell of a lot of people on here that jizzed over his signature. I only saw him in one juniors game before he played for us and thought the commentary team gave him huge raps for doing nothing. So I guess that whatever potential he showed as a youngster, the fact that his dad was an NRL coach probably meant that he stopped working on skills when he got to a passable level in the lower grades. I still have the feeling that a huge art of his issues now stem from the fact that neither he nor his father think he needs to improve much. Maybe if the coaching staff and Gould can change that line of thought he'll actually take some lessons on board and improve.

But if he's still here as depth this season so be it. Just hope he doesn't impede more promising youngsters.
To me the big problem with Flanno is that he grew up playing structured footy and the modern game has gone away from that. It’s more off the cuff these days and he doesn’t have the running game or instincts to take advantage.

There are plenty of young halves like that though. Apart from Walker I can’t name too many young halves who have come through in the past few years.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score

Not a chance, both of them are constantly searching for ways to improve. KFlanagan never stopped training for this season, no off season, training everyday bare a couple at Xmas, he has been working on his fitness, improving his kicking and practising with ball in hand. He has always been the same. As for SFlanagan he never stops learning, you don't get to progress from being a plumber to a premiership winning NRL coach standing still.

Always a Bulldog

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
To me the big problem with Flanno is that he grew up playing structured footy and the modern game has gone away from that. It’s more off the cuff these days and he doesn’t have the running game or instincts to take advantage.

There are plenty of young halves like that though. Apart from Walker I can’t name too many young halves who have come through in the past few years.
The lack of halves has also got a lot to do with how junior RL is played and administered. Warning a generalisation follows, the little guys with skills and vision get bashed out the game by the time they are 16. Only a few brave (or crazy) ones survive.

Always a Bulldog

billy beane

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

I remember watching a game when he was playing for Newtown and the real star was Blayke Brailey, but all the wraps were going to Flanno.
May be the same game as i have only seen him play once as a junior as well. Was at Leichardt if memory serves.

I don't think he stopped working on his skills, but rather he just dosen't possess them.

He is simply the son of a head coach who was overhyped. Did you ever see Bob Fulton's son play ?

What is surprising is the Roosters and Bulldogs took a chance on a player with such a limited skill set.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The lack of halves has also got a lot to do with how junior RL is played and administered. Warning a generalisation follows, the little guys with skills and vision get bashed out the game by the time they are 16. Only a few brave (or crazy) ones survive.

Always a Bulldog
Yep very good point.

That’s why the knights bought A Johns back. Look at the size of their talent pool and they have barely produced a decent half in 15 years

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's pretty aewsome from the club if that's how it played out. Plus doesn't burn a bridge if he ever had the chance to return in the future.
That's why I smh at people making a big deal out of what Gus said several weeks or months before Cotric left. Things changed. We wanted to sign Mahoney and Kikau. The latter is less important of a position, but getting one of the better hookers trumps a winger.

Gus will (usually) tell it how it is to players. I can imagine the convo..."We'd love to keep you Nik, but we really need to strengthen our spine. So if you think you'd be happy to go to another club, we'll organise it." Nik: "I understand Gus, I wouldn't mind going back to Canberra. Since leaving, the pandemic has hit and seeing family is more a priority now. If you could sort out a transfer back there I'll do that." Gus: "No worries mate. We will do what's best for you and the Bulldogs."

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Always a Bulldog
I've had conversations about this factor with my housemate. The 10m rule coupled with the introduction of unlimited interchange meant that the game became a lot more reliant on size than skill. Despite the interchanges being reduced over time it's still the case at the higher levels where monsters are the standard.

Once upon a time the big fellas were an asset early in the game but a defensive liability later on when the small elusive players became dominant.