Brooks vs Flanagan rugby league eye test

Snake

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who cares about the Dally M? It's decided by News Ltd journalists who know nothing about the game and only ever give points to spine players.

What has he done the last two seasons since then? He's regressed badly. Not what you want to see from a supposed star half who earns 850k a year and who is nearly 27.

I'm not saying he's the worst player in the world. He has skills. But he's not worth what he'd cost and he's not a good fit for our team.
He was very good in 2018. I don’t think you can take that away from him.
The Sally M points system is not perfect but is still a reasonable measuring stick IMO.
But I do agree he has regressed since then and I can see the concerns. He should be peaking not going backwards

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
He was very good in 2018. I don’t think you can take that away from him.
The Sally M points system is not perfect but is still a reasonable measuring stick IMO.
But I do agree he has regressed since then and I can see the concerns. He should be peaking not going backwards
The Dally M's isn't necessarily the best player in said position, it's how much you contribute to the win for your team throughout the season. Brooks wasn't the best halfback in 2018, but according to the voters, he was the halfback who contributed the most while being in an average/bad team. When you have multiple good players in 1 team you steal points from each other. It's still an achievement but it's also 3-4 years ago. He's a player who's plateaued and on the decline.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
So why aren't any clubs signing GI? or any other washed up players for that matter? A one season wonder who struggles under pressure who's now 27? Sign him up. A club should sign Napa because he's played origin and was one of the most aggressive players in the NRL years ago... a change of scenery is all he needs! My point is it doesn't matter what Brooks did in 2018... he's been trash ever since. Joey Leilua got Dally M centre of the year, why aren't we signing him?
What an idiotic comparison. Brooks is still 26 and hasn’t even hit his prime. He has a lot of talent but needs to be at the right club With the right coaching.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
To the few in favour of getting Brooks how are we funding his estimated 600K pricetag??? Not impossible their looking to piss a couple of blokes off behind the scenes over the offseason but i hope it's to make room for the Cheese :grinning: Ain't worth 600k on exposed form imo AND we have a surplus cashmunching no 7 already....

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
To the few in favour of getting Brooks how are we funding his estimated 600K pricetag??? Not impossible their looking to piss a couple of blokes off behind the scenes over the offseason but i hope it's to make room for the Cheese :grinning: Ain't worth 600k on exposed form imo AND we have a surplus cashmunching no 7 already....
No way I'd give him 600k a season. He's worth 400k a season if we can get Flannagan's salary off the books.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
As the other bloke said, I’d be ok with brooks as a gamble for a year or 2 tops if it was done by Flanagan and Allen moving on.

Them Together would be 700k+ that said I wouldn’t pay him close to that ffs.

While he clearly has something to win halfback Of The year a few years back and I do think he’s been someone to suffer due to the tigers I’d still rather bbo get some time and save 600k+.

If brooks was 400 maybe 5 possibly a go.

Otherwise yeh I’d go for some quality elsewhere if we could free up Allen and flanos coin especially when we lose stimson rfm wakeham and dwz cap back.

Id be pissed if we let go of cotric or Thompson for a trade to brooks etc. fick that.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
What an idiotic comparison. Brooks is still 26 and hasn’t even hit his prime. He has a lot of talent but needs to be at the right club With the right coaching.
I can't call you an idiot otherwise I get into trouble but you genuinely think Brooks winning the Dally M in 2018 matters. How can you say my comparison is idiotic. What about Dylan Napa being 29 and Leilua being 30. Brooks is in the same category as those 2 just a different position. Anyways what Brooks has done years ago is irrelevant and judging him on 19/20/21 is where it's at. The TIGERS want to get rid of him ffs...

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I can't call you an idiot otherwise I get into trouble but you genuinely think Brooks winning the Dally M in 2018 matters. How can you say my comparison is idiotic. What about Dylan Napa being 29 and Leilua being 30. Brooks is in the same category as those 2 just a different position. Anyways what Brooks has done years ago is irrelevant and judging him on 19/20/21 is where it's at. The TIGERS want to get rid of him ffs...
No it's not the same thing. Dylan Napa was given 3 years and failed. Joey is 30 and plays a position that we have players better than him in already.

Brooks plays in the most important position in the game and we have the worst starting 7 in the NRL. Brooks is way better than any halfback that we currently have.

So yes it's an idiotic comparison. Brooks improves us. Napa and BJ don't make our top 17.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
No it's not the same thing. Dylan Napa was given 3 years and failed. Joey is 30 and plays a position that we have players better than him in already.

Brooks plays in the most important position in the game and we have the worst starting 7 in the NRL. Brooks is way better than any halfback that we currently have.

So yes it's an idiotic comparison. Brooks improves us. Napa and BJ don't make our top 17.
Brooks isn't way better than any halfback we have and he's also one of the worst halves in the NRL. He also will have a ~400k+ price tag (the only reason why he's that high is there's no point Tigers letting him go for anything less). I would take Averillo, a running five-eighth, over Brooks. I'd rather give more time to Averillo and BBO then be stuck with Brooks.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Brooks isn't way better than any halfback we have and he's also one of the worst halves in the NRL. He also will have a ~400k+ price tag (the only reason why he's that high is there's no point Tigers letting him go for anything less). I would take Averillo, a running five-eighth, over Brooks. I'd rather give more time to Averillo and BBO then be stuck with Brooks.
Averillo a better halfback than Luke Brooks...

Good-Fellas-Hilarious.jpg

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Averillo a better halfback than Luke Brooks...

View attachment 32583
Yes, and Averillo's a five-eighth. Brooks is honestly very bad, I don't know what you're seeing personally. I guess you've been watching Brooks 2018 season on replay instead of his 2019/20/21 seasons and especially his last game of the season this year. Averillo completely outclassed him btw in a worse team.

amapusae

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is all meaningless, can you actually imagine Gus signing Luke brooks ?

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
They're not going to pay more than 200-250k max. He's not worth 600-650k. He's worth half that much, if that.. It'd be horrible cap management to sign him for that much and then potentially miss out on a genuine star when they become available because of it.
I think he can be a much better player than he has shown at the tigers. Just look at Moses. Even Tedesco went from someone who showed flashes of brilliance to one of the best players in the competition.

Id rather Brooks for 600k than Flanagan for 500. Obviously we aren’t getting him if Tianjin isn’t part of the trade. Unless we get rid of Cotric or someone else on big coin.

it’s probably not going to happen, but I’d take him on a short term contract to see what he can do if we could free up the space.

Blessings to you and all those you have interactions with, Fam. Namaste

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Yes, and Averillo's a five-eighth. Brooks is honestly very bad, I don't know what you're seeing personally. I guess you've been watching Brooks 2018 season on replay instead of his 2019/20/21 seasons and especially his last game of the season this year. Averillo completely outclassed him btw in a worse team.
Averillo couldn’t steer a rail car, Fam. Many blessings and namaste.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Averillo couldn’t steer a rail car, Fam. Many blessings and namaste.
neither can Brooks. Averillo's been a halfback for 1 season. Brooks has been a halfback his whole career.