Need to get some fear back in our pack

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
True, but you need other players around the halfback for it to work. They can’t do it on their own. I think with the signings we’ve made we’ll have a stronger team than the knights. In addition, the knights did end up finishing the regular season in 7th spot which isn’t as bad as you make out they are
I just don't see it with Pearce, he has played about a million games and he just isn't a leader and doesn't seem to have the sort of positive influence you'd want him to have on some on the less experienced guys. The Knights may be a better team with him on the field but I don't think he's someone we need to actively recruit.

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
True, but you need other players around the halfback for it to work. They can’t do it on their own. I think with the signings we’ve made we’ll have a stronger team than the knights. In addition, the knights did end up finishing the regular season in 7th spot which isn’t as bad as you make out they are
As the statistics published here by someone recently showed, Newcastle had the best penalty differential in the league. When they played the Broncos last week, and things didn't go their way with under 50% possession, their true ability was shown up.

Kalyn Ponga to me is massively over hyped. His defence is poor and he is often out of position when kicks are put through, which the Broncos exposed.

He hasn't got ALL the skills of a modern fullback. I can see him moving into the halves at some stage but I hope he has a hard hitting back rower defending inside him like Tonie Carroll did with Lockyer. While Lockyer wasn't a weak defender it was clear "Happy Joe Happy" wanted him to make as few tackles as possible.

senshidog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tariq Simms and put him at lock. That frees up Jackson for second row again.

We have decent depth.

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score

We have decent depth.
Why would you buy a State of Origin edge forward to play him in the middle, then move the current Bulldogs player of the year from the position he's been playing to another position where he was basically ineffective?

ATT

Kennel Established
Reaction score
My opionion. I’d put it into the bank at this stage. Gives us options as the year progresses if we get a gun performing out there skin. Or we get a injury to a position or a star comes on the market we have cash and a position open. If we spend it all and fill every spot it stops development and stops the above being in play. Makes the kids strive believing there is hope. If and a big if over the year non come to fruition. You front load someone on the bigger contracts and or pay bonus to you star who on the market may feel underpaid. Makes them feel loved. Don’t go waisting it because you can

kmr07

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

We have decent depth.
He’ll surely be asking for more than Elliot was on. Rather save the $ for a 7 or 9

Turvey Chip and Chase

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What do you think Sims would cost? If it was reasonable I think he’d add good experience and aggression.

mid also upgrade Burton.

David holland

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
According to Gus we have roughly 700k to spend for 2 positions. I believe a couple other players will be moved on to get a big signing or 2.
Move on the dead wood ,I'd be suprised to see what Waddell is on

enoughsaid

Kennel Tips Winner '04
Reaction score
Sims is a grub and a flat track bully..
loooks good up against average players

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
My opionion. I’d put it into the bank at this stage. Gives us options as the year progresses if we get a gun performing out there skin. Or we get a injury to a position or a star comes on the market we have cash and a position open. If we spend it all and fill every spot it stops development and stops the above being in play. Makes the kids strive believing there is hope. If and a big if over the year non come to fruition. You front load someone on the bigger contracts and or pay bonus to you star who on the market may feel underpaid. Makes them feel loved. Don’t go waisting it because you can
Exactly. The next season doesn’t start for 6 months yet so many on here want us to buy the first bloke available.

I reckon a fair few of our contracted players will be given permission to negotiate in the off season with other teams. Doesn’t mean they will go but I highly doubt the 28 players we have will be with us in Rd 1 next year.

The same applies to other clubs. There is normally a fair few players that come up for grabs once end of season reviews are done

Reactions: ATT