500k - What are we going to use it on?

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I got Silent Impact race 5 no.7 Kembla out of the Waterhouse Bot staple trailed well paying 4.20 into Anamoe race 8 no. 2 Kemble short odds paying 2.25 although Stay Inside scares me into Mo’unga Flemo
Tiger Of Malay is the other one in R5 with a good chance.Re R8 i think (and their are some good ones your right)Remarque not drawn great and Converged who has drawn well are dangers, Stay Inside also is a little disadvantaged dry track and the wide gate.Only 10 horse starting now so maybe not a big deal.I got $3.30 all in for Anamoe on Monday hopefully that will remain overs all the way to the collect stage.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Gus is like that fat guy on money ball, everyday he is analysing the roster and seeing where we can add value (whilst losing overpaid plodders)

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
2022 the club has 7 players to cover halves and dummy half (Cook, JMK, Burton, Wakeham, Averillo, BBO, Flanagan) unless one or two are moved on i cant see the value in buying anther 6, 7 or 9.
Still short of backrowers suited to new rules

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Smith is unlikely to leave the Storm for 2022 even if we free up the cap because the Storm want a like for like swap remember and I doubt we have anyone the Storm want quite frankly. We should chase Cheese for 2023.

I think we'll sign Asiata in a few days. We virtually offered to buy him but were a bit short of cap. He would be close to minimum wage. Good replacement for Elliott. Will leave some money up our sleeve to contribute to Pearce IF we want him. I'm not a big fan of Pearce but agree we're throwing Burton to the wolves if he doesn't have an experienced organising half next to him next year. Only then will we get the best from Burton.

It would only be worth pursuing Pearce IF the Knights will let him leave early (for 2022). He will be 33 next year. Not interested in signing him for 2023 at 34 and 35. If we're seriously interested in Pearce then I'm sure we will move on Flano and / or Wakeham to free up the remainder to pay Pearce because we won't need 5 potential 7s on our books (ie: Pearce, Flano, Wakeham, BBO, Averillo)

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
We need to spend it on some experience in the spine or an edge forward.

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cotric,Flanagan ,Allan,Waddell
Get rid of them that’s another 1.3 million to spend lol

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Not even close. He is easily going to be commanding 750-800k in the open market and that's probably a minimum in his purple patch
500k first year with some heavy TPO's??

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No chance we have cap space for a Cheese or a Pearce, plus we have enough bodies on contract to fill those roles. Maybe Tariq could be a shot, he's getting on but he'd at least teach our younger backrowers how to hit hard.

Doorey, RFM, Stimson all in their last year next year. Same with Wakeham. Expect big seasons from them, its a contract year

kmr07

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Didn't really work out for the Knights though?
True, but you need other players around the halfback for it to work. They can’t do it on their own. I think with the signings we’ve made we’ll have a stronger team than the knights. In addition, the knights did end up finishing the regular season in 7th spot which isn’t as bad as you make out they are

kmr07

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
2022 the club has 7 players to cover halves and dummy half (Cook, JMK, Burton, Wakeham, Averillo, BBO, Flanagan) unless one or two are moved on i cant see the value in buying anther 6, 7 or 9.
Still short of backrowers suited to new rules
Of those 7 players could you name one that would be in the top 10 in their position? Burton likely will get there but he cannot do it on his own.

I think you’re under estimating the value of a quality experienced half. Just look at the top 4 teams, Hughes, Cleary, Reynolds, DCE. All rep quality halves

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Of those 7 players could you name one that would be in the top 10 in their position? Burton likely will get there but he cannot do it on his own.

I think you’re under estimating the value of a quality experienced half. Just look at the top 4 teams, Hughes, Cleary, Reynolds, DCE. All rep quality halves
Possibly - but i believe that Burton will be that quality half - hopefully one of the others will become a quality half. Ideally one or two - Flanagan hopefully - will move on freeing up space n cap for an experienced half.
I still believe that regardless of halves successful teams need quality forwards and whilst next years pack are a huge improvement on this years pack - it is still a strike forward or two short of the top packs.
Who knows who will be the next half to have a break out season and become an experienced quality half - but i would be fairly sure that they will only do it behind a pack of forwards that dominates with and without the ball.