Luke Thompson consolidated thread

Disposable Hero

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This article is come solely from his agent. Dogs are pissed off at him and refusing to be bullied into extending him. Thompson doesn’t want to leave his manager thinks he should be upgraded (more commission for him) but dogs pretty much shut the phone in his face this is his agenda being pushed in the Media with some added spice
Thanx for the heads up Sleepy.

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I don’t want to pot Gus already but is this not potentially a horrendous piece of business?

Thompson is elite, and by this time next year I reckon will be established as one of best middle forwards in the game. Is 750-850k really that far off his value? I think it’s pretty close to the sweet spot.

We’ve just signed TPJ to reportedly near identical money to what we’re paying Thompson. In my opinion the signing of TPJ at the price is very poor recruitment on its own. If it furthermore comes at the expense of Thompson then it escalates to a horrific piece of business.

Let’s just hope this isn’t true.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Thompson is happy to stay for the money his on. His Manager is in his ear saying go cash in now before it’s too late. Dogs aren’t willing to play this game any player is replaceable. There’s only two forwards that are worth anywhere near that much. Payne hass and maybe fisher Harris.
Who is his manager?

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I don’t want to pot Gus already but is this not potentially a horrendous piece of business?

Thompson is elite, and by this time next year I reckon will be established as one of best middle forwards in the game. Is 750-850k really that far off his value? I think it’s pretty close to the sweet spot.

We’ve just signed TPJ to reportedly near identical money to what we’re paying Thompson. In my opinion the signing of TPJ at the price is very poor recruitment on its own. If it furthermore comes at the expense of Thompson then it escalates to a horrific piece of business.

Let’s just hope this isn’t true.
I think Thompson is good value to us at 725k (not 850k if true) but I wouldn't have him in the elite category personally, potentially maybe. I'd have him in that quality bracket underneath tho. I'd say Vaughan at ~400k is worse value than Thompson at 725k. If I was to call an article BS it'd be this one.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
850k is already overs

He hasn’t returned anything on that investment and is a liability with getting suspended now

Full freight to nab a marquee player is fine with me otherwise do a Storm and demand a trade etc

Gus ain’t falling for this shit the agent is trying to pull

seven07

Kennel Established
Reaction score
This article is come solely from his agent. Dogs are pissed off at him and refusing to be bullied into extending him. Thompson doesn’t want to leave his manager thinks he should be upgraded (more commission for him) but dogs pretty much shut the phone in his face this is his agenda being pushed in the Media with some added spice
Good on ya sleepy.

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Same manager as John Bateman by the sounds of it...
Hope he stays, he's been our best by a long way this year and once he gets some pigs like Vaighan and TPJ alongside him he'll look even better.

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
release Thompson from the remaining 2 years of his contract AND still pay $350K of his yearly salary to play for another club... this is bad comedy
Or it could just be the Telegraph's Bum Chum Coach Hasler wanting to get Thompson for $500k - Des using his journalistic contacts.

Matthew G

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
DO NOT GET RID!!!
Canterbury prop Luke Thompson has attracted interest from rival NRL clubs after his English-based manager could not secure a new, long-term deal with the Bulldogs.
While wanting him to complete his contract at Belmore, Canterbury would consider releasing Thompson early should he procure a lengthy deal elsewhere.

The Bulldogs know there is interest in Thompson.

Thompson has two years remaining on his current Bulldogs deal but his agent, Andy Clarke, has been contacting NRL clubs trying to gauge their interest in the giant British forward from 2024.

The Daily Telegraph has been told Wests Tigers have shown a keenness in Thompson, who earns around $850,000 a season.

Watch The 2021 NRL Telstra Premiership Live & On-Demand on Kayo. New to Kayo? Try 14-Days Free Now >

Luke Thompson’s manager is trying secure his clients long-term future in Australia. Picture: Getty Images.

Luke Thompson’s manager is trying secure his clients long-term future in Australia. Picture: Getty Images.

Clarke wants to nail down Thompson’s long-term future in Australia. He contacted Canterbury hoping the club would agree to an extension.

Yet with a crammed salary cap, Canterbury was unable to tell Clarke they could extend Thompson beyond his current deal. Thompson has an option his way for 2023.

If he can obtain a four-year deal for Thompson, Clarke may ask Canterbury for a release.

FROM OUR PARTNERS

Watch the 2021 NRL Telstra Premiership on Foxtel Find out more
The Daily Telegraph has been told Canterbury is right on its salary cap limit for next season.

Rival clubs would want Canterbury to pay around $350,000 a year to take Thompson.

Canterbury can send out its new-look squad next season with any financial pressure but would struggle to sign any new players - or even upgrade a player - given how tight their salary cap has become.

New Bulldogs general manager of football, Phil Gould, is closely monitoring and reworking the club’s cap. Thompson leads the club’s stats every week but an early departure would free up some cash.

Luke Thompson has been one of the Bulldogs best forwards in 2021, but a move would free up salary cap space. Picture: Alix Sweeney.

Luke Thompson has been one of the Bulldogs best forwards in 2021, but a move would free up salary cap space. Picture: Alix Sweeney.

Canterbury is adamant Thompson is not being shopped around - it’s more Clarke trying to settle his client’s long-term NRL future.

Clarke is said to be looking “at all options”.

There are no guarantees Canterbury would allow Thompson to leave early but the club would carefully consider any approach.

There is at least one other Sydney club which has been approached about Thompson.

Thompson has told friends he wants to stay at Canterbury and be part of the expected revival next season.

The Bulldogs are open to moving a player or two while they work to reshape their salary cap. Canterbury has one spot open for next season.

Thompson has established himself among the finest forwards in the NRL desire playing in a wooden-spoon side. He overcame a bout of homesickness just last year.

In September last year, Thompson said: “I’m fully committed to the Bulldogs.”

Thompson will play prop in Canterbury’s match against Newcastle this Saturday on the Gold Coast.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Sure he evolved quickly into one of the best but his manager is a smarty, a deal is a deal, we cant keep getting screwed over.

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Hes good.

Name kne player that churns out numbers like he does by them selves.

People wanting him to do this and that, the bloke is playing in a pack that NO ONE AVERAGES OVER 100 METRES LOL. Actually I think Jackson has just cracked it.

None of the top props have a squad like that.

Jackson_1994

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I sent John Khoury a message he responded with the following responses .

Hi only believe what comes from the club thanks.

He gave me the right info regarding BBO when I asked about him with the re-signing of BBO make what you want with the info but I reckon it's just his manager trying to get more money out of the club Even in the article Thompson is happy at the club

Fuck I hate player managers bunch of shit cu*ts

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Hes good.

Name kne player that churns out numbers like he does by them selves.

People wanting him to do this and that, the bloke is playing in a pack that NO ONE AVERAGES OVER 100 METRES LOL. Actually I think Jackson has just cracked it.

None of the top props have a squad like that.
Thompson averages 2.5 metres/minute. Haas 2.6, JFH 3.3, JWH 3 and AFB 2.9.