Storm table a rich offer for Brandon Smith

XR6T

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Storm tables rich offer to in-demand hooker, per report
‘The Cheese’s bottom line looks set for a substantial boost.

In-demand Storm hooker Brandon Smith has reportedly received and offer of a $600,000 a year deal to remain in the Victoria capital.

According to a report from The Daily Telegraph on Thursday afternoon, the deal placed before the 25-year-old rake is set to kick start a bidding war between the Storm and at least six rival clubs.

Should a collective of teams including Sydney and Canterbury remain determined to sign Smith, the larrikin affectionately known as 'Cheese' could see his pay wedge climb as his services are will effectively be auctioned on the open market.

Melbourne Storm Training Session

Speaking to News Corp, Smith's manager explained that he was taken aback by Melbourne's opening offer.

“I was pleasantly surprised with their offer,” said Smith’s manager Stan Martin.

“It is certainly a lot higher than I thought it would be. I was really surprised and I think they are aware of what it will take to keep him.”

Although Smith has expressed a desire to play as a starting nine for an NRL side, journalist James Phelps was of the belief that back-up hooker Harry Grant will also remain under Craig Bellamy's guidance.

“That is part of the problem,” Martin said.

“And that is the reason we put him on the market originally. We don’t know how they are going to play him at Melbourne and that is fair enough because they have Harry Grant.”

Irrespective of the tabled deal, Martin continued by saying that there were more suitors in the market than just the Chooks and Dogs.

Phelps revealed that the Tigers and expansion hopeful Redcliffe had also contacted him in regard to the Waiheke Island wrecking ball.

“We have fielded a number of expressions of interest,” Smith's manager said.

“Yes. There have been six clubs. Easily.”

NRL Rd 20 - Dragons v Storm

While the Storm have signaled their intentions, Smith is still expected to sit down with these aforesaid sides when he is afforded the chance after November 1 of this year.

“We can’t sign any contract with anyone other than the Storm until the 1st of November,” Martin said.

SEE ALSO: Cronk issues strong warning to players who refuse vaccine

“We can discuss options but we can’t sign. He has another year to go on the contract. I will give them an indication of his value. As an agent I would like to think he could get a million but $800,000 may be a more realistic target.”

Smith and the Storm are set to face the Sea Eagles on Saturday night.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Storm tables rich offer to in-demand hooker, per report
‘The Cheese’s bottom line looks set for a substantial boost.

In-demand Storm hooker Brandon Smith has reportedly received and offer of a $600,000 a year deal to remain in the Victoria capital.

According to a report from The Daily Telegraph on Thursday afternoon, the deal placed before the 25-year-old rake is set to kick start a bidding war between the Storm and at least six rival clubs.

Should a collective of teams including Sydney and Canterbury remain determined to sign Smith, the larrikin affectionately known as 'Cheese' could see his pay wedge climb as his services are will effectively be auctioned on the open market.

Speaking to News Corp, Smith's manager explained that he was taken aback by Melbourne's opening offer.

“I was pleasantly surprised with their offer,” said Smith’s manager Stan Martin.

“It is certainly a lot higher than I thought it would be. I was really surprised and I think they are aware of what it will take to keep him.”

Although Smith has expressed a desire to play as a starting nine for an NRL side, journalist James Phelps was of the belief that back-up hooker Harry Grant will also remain under Craig Bellamy's guidance.

“That is part of the problem,” Martin said.

“And that is the reason we put him on the market originally. We don’t know how they are going to play him at Melbourne and that is fair enough because they have Harry Grant.”

Irrespective of the tabled deal, Martin continued by saying that there were more suitors in the market than just the Chooks and Dogs.

Phelps revealed that the Tigers and expansion hopeful Redcliffe had also contacted him in regard to the Waiheke Island wrecking ball.

“We have fielded a number of expressions of interest,” Smith's manager said.

“Yes. There have been six clubs. Easily.”

NRL Rd 20 - Dragons v Storm

While the Storm have signaled their intentions, Smith is still expected to sit down with these aforesaid sides when he is afforded the chance after November 1 of this year.

“We can’t sign any contract with anyone other than the Storm until the 1st of November,” Martin said.

SEE ALSO: Cronk issues strong warning to players who refuse vaccine

“We can discuss options but we can’t sign. He has another year to go on the contract. I will give them an indication of his value. As an agent I would like to think he could get a million but $800,000 may be a more realistic target.”

Smith and the Storm are set to face the Sea Eagles on Saturday night.
I read last week they offered him 730K a season so if it's 600K then brilliant. Gives us much better chance of success and we could potentially get him for around 800K (similar to Thompson).

Glad his manager is well aware and openly talking about the "problem" of him being stuck behind Grant if he remains at the Storm. I'm sure he's in Smith's ear reminding him about that fact also. Bigger deal the bigger commission he receives.

Cheese should also remember the Storm are likely paying Grant more than this 600K already and in his next contract they'll likely be offering Grant twice what they're offering him. They'll have to to keep other clubs away.

Last edited:

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
If he commits to storm and grant stays fit, he will be 28 and never truely dominant and fully established at hooker imo. Needs to go somewhere where he is top dog, or alternatively just accept it's #13 at storm if Harry is fully fit

Flanagun

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Hey Brandon,

I'd stay at the Storm. 600k is all you're worth and your value will depreciate if you go elsewhere. Or if you're feeling greedy, I'm sure the Roosters will top up your new salary with a few brown paper bags. Please don't come to the Bulldogs.

Yours sincerely,

K Thanksbye

Last edited:

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Steady on mate 13 million hahahhaa, got them calculations from Des have we ?
They will probably get a cap advantage in some way since they're building from scratch.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I wouldn't pay 1 million for him...he is good and we are desperate but 1 million for a player who can't play 80 minutes?
he can easily play 80 minutes, but not worth the price tag. he will stay at storm and he would be crazy not too. Lock is his spot

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
They will probably get a cap advantage in some way since they're building from scratch.
Yes but by the time the new team comes in 2024 he will be in his 30,who’s going to pay that sort of money for him then.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Unless he signs with us .. WHO GIVES A FUCK.. how many times do we have to hear about this guy? Not saying He is not a quality player. But there is no I in team, and we are the Mighty BULLDOG.. with or WITHOUT him. Just move on until it’s official.!!