Rumour Brandon smith done deal

silva

Utility
Reaction score
All those qualities are great.....but first and foremost we need a hooker who can delivere the ball efficiently and get our backline running smoothly....i just don't think he's the guy.....especiall considering how much it would take to get him to gamble on us. I'm not sold on him.....let's see if a) we get him and b) he proves me wrong.
He’s the best hooker in the game atm you merkin

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Watch him closely. He can not pass off the ground. Always has to do a little shuffle towards the defensive line first. The reason he looks so good at melbs is his team regularly dominates the ruck and always get a good 10 metres when attacking
He's such a running threat that he holds the markers up and creates space between the marker and A defender which in turn gives the middle forwards some space to run at, creating momentum in the ruck and allowing a side to dominate in the middle.
Even Elliott will look better for having him in the 9 jersey, but I'd rather see Elliott in Amy other jersey than a Bulldogs one.

silva

Utility
Reaction score
No he isn't.....he's just playing for a well oiled machine.....grant came on and looked twice as good as soon as he took the field last week
Yeh ok well oiled machine that’s why. Bellamy has been starting him over grant all season for a reason

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
He's such a running threat that he holds the markers up and creates space between the marker and A defender which in turn gives the middle forwards some space to run at, creating momentum in the ruck and allowing a side to dominate in the middle.
Even Elliott will look better for having him in the 9 jersey, but I'd rather see Elliott in Amy other jersey than a Bulldogs one.
that's assuming the defensive line is back the 10, which for us, it won't be....give me goof efficient service to his running threat any day of the week.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Yeh ok well oiled machine that’s why. Bellamy has been starting him over grant all season for a reason
grant has been injured for the vast majority of the season....lol at you thinking Smith is bellamy's preferred dummy half

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
All those qualities are great.....but first and foremost we need a hooker who can delivere the ball efficiently and get our backline running smoothly....i just don't think he's the guy.....especiall considering how much it would take to get him to gamble on us. I'm not sold on him.....let's see if a) we get him and b) he proves me wrong.
Melbourne seem to score a lot of points with his service so I don't think it's an issue. I agree that's probably the weakness of his game but his running game out of dummy half is up there with the best and no other hooker provides the impact in defence he does.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Brandon smith has agreed to terms with the dogs not official yet but Brandon has agreed dogs are close to coming to an agreement with Melbourne. All will be announced after season completion. Dogs have put in an unmatchable offer
That matches up with what I've been saying for a month now. He will talk in November and the dogs haven't given up for him for 22 or 23.

Hope it happens.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Melbourne seem to score a lot of points with his service so I don't think it's an issue. I agree that's probably the weakness of his game but his running game out of dummy half is up there with the best and no other hooker provides the impact in defence he does.
my concern is we will have to contend with a much tighter (or non existant) 10m, which won't give him the luxury of time. I am worried his service will be exposed more here that at melbs. No doubt his running and d are strong, but i don't think he's the guy to get out backline moving smoothly. I think his service will actually put pressure on our young halves.

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Broken all point scoring records this year, i know the rule changes have allowed it but if it were JMK there instead of Smith you'd have to think they wouldnt be scoring as many

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We pay Smith 800-850K a season. He gets 70-120K extra a season over what the Storm are offering (and probably similar from Roosters), he gets to play his preferred 9 position and gets to hang around with JAC still. (also no new Brisbane team coming anytime soon now, Roosters unlikely to offer a decent swap)

Cotric to Storm. We pay 150K a season freight for 2022 and 2023. They pay Cotric 500K a season

800-850K + 150K freight = 950K - $1M but minus Cotric's other 500K off our books we're getting Smith for 450-500K a year for 2022 and 2023 minus Cotric.

Advantage for the Storm is they get Cotric at a discounted rate for 2 years. If they make us wait til 2023 we sign Smith and they get ZERO out of Smith leaving besides his freed up salary. Unlikely they'll be getting a player of Cotric's value then at 500K a season. When Hynes leaves they need another high value back. Meaney aint going to cut it. They're losing Brenko Lee also remember.

Last edited:

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
I thought Bellamy came out and said

9. Grant
13. Smith

Isn't that public knowledge?
yep, i think he has always wanted smith at 13 ......the team has been going well with smith at 9 and grant is still feekling his way back from injury, so bellamy is in no rush to shift him.....all the more so because he's looking to convince smith to extend....but grant has always been his pick for 9.

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We pay Smith 800K a season. He gets his preferred 9 position and gets to hang around with JAC still.

Cotric to Storm. We pay 150K a season freight for 2022 and 2023. They pay Cotric 500K a season

800K + 150K freight = 950K but minus Cotric's other 500K off our books we're getting Smith for 450K a year for 2022 and 2023 minus Cotric.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I thought Bellamy came out and said

9. Grant
13. Smith

Isn't that public knowledge?
Grant overall is the better hooker but Smith still starts ahead of him right now. A combination of Smith and Grant is better than anyone of them playing 80 right now.