Is Barrett the coach to get us a Premiership?

GUSLER

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Judge him rd 10 next year. Dont even waste your time and energy thinking bout it now. Our squad is a joke at the moment. Our spine wouldnt start for any other team. Gus will do what's needed in the end.

likeadoggy

Banned
Reaction score
when you’ve got no creativity,no running game, poor defensive reads and a lack of line speed by the same people every single week, at some point the coach needs to be made accountable.

Plenty of coaches would get more out of this time but barrett sits there looking like he’s doing a shit

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
This would have to be the worst season, with the worst squad, to come in and be a new coach. Covid + rule changes + defective officiating regime means it has been an extra hard season to be a bottom 4 team. Add to that the challenge of trying to keep blokes heads in the game when half of them don't have a contract for next season, and the fact that he has gone most of the season with out a Football Manager. Respect to Barrett for keeping his chin up and turning up every day with a positive attitude despite all the challenges. In terms of attitude and mental toughness, he is a good leader. Whether he can get the team next year working together with systems that can beat the best teams is another question, but he should be given the time and space to figure it out. Masters in any field get to the top by making and learning from mistakes along the way.

likeadoggy

Banned
Reaction score
This would have to be the worst season, with the worst squad, to come in and be a new coach. Covid + rule changes + defective officiating regime means it has been an extra hard season to be a bottom 4 team. Add to that the challenge of trying to keep blokes heads in the game when half of them don't have a contract for next season, and the fact that he has gone most of the season with out a Football Manager. Respect to Barrett for keeping his chin up and turning up every day with a positive attitude despite all the challenges. In terms of attitude and mental toughness, he is a good leader. Whether he can get the team next year working together with systems that can beat the best teams is another question, but he should be given the time and space to figure it out. Masters in any field get to the top by making and learning from mistakes along the way.
how do you not turn up with a positive attitude when you’re getting hundreds of thousands of dollars a year?

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Guys there is a few of you who want Trent Barrett to be sacked. The big question is who could come in and replace him? I would put this out there -‘Brad Fittler’, he said if he could have his time again as a full time coach he would do things so differently - hemnow knows a thing or too after coach Orgin. Before you get angry about who I think, who else is out there - not much to choose from.’We don’t want anyone too old either, like a Wayne Bennett, Craig Bellamy type. They are going to have to be around for a long while to fix this mess. Maybe Tim Sheens. We need experience but not someone who is looking to wind down in the future. If it was 12 months ago, I would’ve said Craig Fitzgibbon but he got snapped up by the Sharks. I think we need a coach who’s tough but fair. I think Baz is too nice a guy to put a rocket up players when it’s needed. I don’t remember many successful coaches who were really chummy with the players when the chips were down.
WE need to give TBaz a fair go !!!
Not do what the Andersons did to Dean Pay in the first few weeks of 2019, they sounded out their son Ben as his replacement but when it did't work out they gave him a 1 year extension by that time Pay knew he was a dead man walking, then we missed the November 2019 rebuild for 2021 season that eventually led to the Anderson's regime falling :frowning:

Last edited:

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
If Gus sacked two coaches at Penrith including Hook who at the time had them in the top 4 then I’m afraid Baz is on borrowed time if we continue to lose games and concede 30ppg

OldDogFan

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
In answer to the thread question.... Yes. With a decent roster I think Baz is a much different coach than when he was the head coach at Manly. For those that want him gone, why? No one, not bellyache not skelletor, no one can coach this rabble. They are not under 8's they should know the fundementals of the game and where their position fits in. Napa ffs is supposedly an origin class player but still makes u/8 mistakes. It leads me to believe that half the squad are taking the p!ss and don't give a fvck because they are not being re-signed. That's where the problem lies.

sleepy dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Guys relax honestly just calm down with the sack Barrett threads this argument has no substance and sorry to break it to you but this staff and board are in for the long haul they won’t be making any drastic changes especially to our head coach he will be given all the tools needed to succeed. These threads are mute it won’t be happening

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think Averillo has improved - how?
Thompson has improved - getting back to where he was in UK but not improved overall
JMK while still shit has improved - about the same before he got injured
Schoup has debuted and been ok - that doesn't show improvement, it shows he's adequate, but he is still very young
Jackson has improved - he has had the first rest in his career due to injury - perhaps that's why

your being too harsh on him

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Based on a few indicators from this year I'm leaning towards no. That said if he can't do it with the players that are signing on he never will. We will see by mid-season next year if he can Coach.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
how do you not turn up with a positive attitude when you’re getting hundreds of thousands of dollars a year?
When you are already guaranteed that money no matter what you do. They take their position as NRL players for granted & they will soon find themselves earning far less & wonder how it happened. A good example is Napa, currently earning a reported $650k. He is in for a rude shock next year if no-one picks him up (& he doesn't deserve a spot either). What is he qualified to do after footy? A labourer? Labourers have more brains than Napa as do the bricks!

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
In answer to the thread question.... Yes. With a decent roster I think Baz is a much different coach than when he was the head coach at Manly. For those that want him gone, why? No one, not bellyache not skelletor, no one can coach this rabble. They are not under 8's they should know the fundementals of the game and where their position fits in. Napa ffs is supposedly an origin class player but still makes u/8 mistakes. It leads me to believe that half the squad are taking the p!ss and don't give a fvck because they are not being re-signed. That's where the problem lies.
And that's why Barrett should be dropping them for people who are willing to put in more effort. I really don't see how Napa escapes the axe week in week out especially after his booze session. That sent a poor message. He should have been fined heavily & publicly sanctioned saying it's at least his second strike if not 3rd. Accept mediocrity & that's what you end up with.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
One of the main reasons for All our signing coning here is to be coached by Barrett and he will be given every chance to do so
So sleepy, who is the half back & hooker we are going to sign for 2022? We won't be going far without at least a 7. We can make do temporarily with JMK at hooker but he needs to play better than yesterday.

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Systems and processes win you Premierships. We will have that sooner rather than later with Gould at the helm. Once this has been achieved we will have the players to win a premiership because there will be belief and confidence to attract the best players to the club. Once we have the team if it isn't Barrett as coach it will be another that will have a premiership winning team to do that with.

Benno Bulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not likely but might take us up to the Eight in a shitty display of ill discipline, no defence and heaps of points. Which is a big improvement on consecutive losses.

Malla

Reaction score
Gus will build us to a premiership but I think the question should be will Baz fuck it up?

Best thing about Gus is he will fuck Baz off if he knows he will fuck it up, ala Griffin at Penrith.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
YES, I believe he very well could be .!!