Why does Schoupp get a free pass?

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I respected you until you mentioned "Allan" as a head of anyone in this team.

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Every player in the team is accountable so I don't necessarily think Schoupp gets a free pass. He has been OK this year IMO. His defence needs work and I've haven't seen too much class from him in attack (although to be fair he hasn't had any early ball). His best attribute is the yardage he makes every game coming out of our own end.

Personally I can see him shifting to the backrow because I see Naden and Alamoti as our starting centres next year as they are both attacking guns

kap123

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Schoupp is our only back that consistently gets over the ad line. Acknowledging his defence needs work, look at who is inside of him Corey Waddell, notoriously known for jersey grabbing and outside is Okunbor who couldn't mark up on his winger if his life depended on it.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I feel sorry for anyone defending next to Okunbur and Tui Katoa. He basically has to cover two and three players each time they go down that side.

He makes good metres, he's still very young and he's had several good games. Why you'd want to single him out of all people is beyond me.

a dogs life

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Shoupp didn't have a good game defensively today but he's been OK overall. He held his own against better teams last 2 weeks prior to today. His carries from our end are generally very good. Maybe a game like today will be an eye opener to him as a player in the top grade to look at his flaws and correct them. His very raw still but we need to allow guys like him time.
Totally agree. What do people expect from rookies who are playing in a poor team. The Averillo comments yesterday were a disgrace from so called “supporters”.

A 20 year old who has been thrown to the wolves. People need to keep some perspective, none of these kids are our saviours this season.

a dogs life

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Keep blaming okunbor....Schoupp has been making bad defensive reads ever since he came into the side. Pretty silly to blame a guy who has been in the dude for 2 games for problems that have been evident all season.

As for Okunbor’s runs looking a bit tentative. He is returning from a severe injury and hasn’t even had the benefit of a run in reserves. It’s not unusual for a player to look tentative in situations like this. Did any of you watch Papenhuysen play on Friday?

Just amuses me that players like Okunbor get zeroed in on and turn to shreds, while kennel darlings like Schoupp get a free pass.
Yep, just ridiculous, some people just cannot help themselves.

enoughsaid

Kennel Tips Winner '04
Reaction score
I dont see it either

Comes across as a ratbag

To me your left Centre is your strike centre
I see none of that

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I posted this in the Averillo to Centre thread, but it is just as applicable here;
Many say that centre is the hardest position to play defence, there's scheming halves inside you, 2nd rowers trying to run straight over you, opposition centres running inside and outside lines at you and wingers trying to beat with you with pace on the outside. Averillo at this stage of his career is simply not remotely close to being able to defend at centre, he would get destroyed, physically and confidence wise. Maybe he will be ready in a couple years and maybe not, he may never be able to handle the defensive decisions that a centre has to make many times in a game. Let alone the physical load that it takes to defend against the smallest, tallest, smartest, fastest and most athletic opposition coming at you from 3 directions, often at the same time.

Always a Bulldog

Suave

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
He's doing OK given his lack of 1st grade experience. Though he isn't a walk up start next season by any means.
I think the bigger issue is our defensive structure because we seem to be having the same issue all season long whether it's Katoa, Okunbur, Schoupp, Meaney, whoever defending on our edges. Someone who's familiar with our structure can probably shed a bit more light but it looks like it's too dependent on outside men making good decisions and they're failing more often than not. Also have major question marks on our defensive technique and strength conditioning. We get shrugged off way too easily in one on one situations.

Cheng

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
That entire side is a joke. It's even making Lewis look bad and he's usually a good defender.
Lewis gives 200% every game. He can tackle a bull if it runs straight at him.

But he is a terrible defender

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Knockonbor runs like a school girl idk how the fuck he made it to first grade I almost pissed myself watching him run at the end of the first half I think it was
seriously the dude is so slow....what the hell did they see in him to re sign him?

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Tbh the breakdown in defense normally starts well before the obvious leak.. yes okunbor and schoupp could have made better choices but the half and second rower should be reading the play better and put more pressure on the opposition half.. each bad decisions made by the inside defenders is amplifier to the bad decisions of the winger and centre..

Our defensive line is far too passive and cannot cope with a quick play the ball by the opposition..