Armchair Coach Championship

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
- Hire a football manager
- Fire Furner & Ferris and get the best assistants and strength and conditioning coach possible
- Sign some experienced players, especially in the pack and get some much needed leadership
- Shop Flanagan, Allan, Elliott etc and chip in to help move them on. No more plodders and dumb footballers please!
- Stop playing one out footy and having Jackson as our first receiver every attacking set
- Teach these players a thing or two about desperation and diving on loose balls, putting their body on the line etc. None of these cats have done that all season.
Love it. Especially Furner/Ferris, they are duds.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
B0FDD1FE-36CF-414A-8608-946129BF2A17.png
You as well Horse… what is your suggestion?

Benno Bulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ennis or Flanagan Senr/ to assist and let go Funer Feris altogether to soft. We need someone that's for sure.
Agree Mitchel Pearce or similar Maloney type with Burton,
Naden fullback size and speed
Forwards need a Hectic shift id bring in Spud Carrol have Fkn cracker off season with fitness some pride and conditioning with constant efforts.
Recruitment is hit and miss atm not gonna go on with a wish list but think this is what the squad and club need think about.

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
there's a reason people here are on a forum and not running football departments

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
there's a reason people here are on a forum and not running football departments
What a flog comment. What possible value to you get out of saying that?

There are plenty of people that I am sure are involved in football departments that have less value/intelligence/or life success then some who support the club or contribute to these forums..

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Exploit up and in defence by kicking slightly behind the line, then when they adjust their defence, go through hands - but we need a fullback that can create overlaps for that??
I wish my name was Nick Meaney. Imagine getting all that money AND you get to watch the game from the playing field too! Geez he just watched them go by like Puig Aubert!

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I totally agree, the club needs to have a plan to move forward. I don’t think sacking Barrett achieves much. There aren’t many decent players off contract.

Our youth policy hasn’t worked and we need a succession plan. We need to recruit experience as to just targeting young talented players like Burton, Leniu, Piakura. Unfortunately, we only landed Burton. Look at the tigers, they recruited a ton of young players with potential and haven’t done well. I would like Pearce, but would Knights release him?

1. Focus on improving our pack first. I would target TPJ and Finucane as they available and will improve our pack immensely. I read, Taupau might be available and I rather him instead of Finucane.

2. If we cannot get Smith for 22, we must have him signed for 23 at all costs. Grab someone off contract as cover or re-sign JMK. I wouldn’t go near Segs as he hasn’t played for awhile

3. An experienced half to help Burton and mentor BBO and Rajab. Pearce would be great if Knights release him. Sezar was a name that was brought up during the week. 2 year contract for Sezar would help us develop BBO and hopefully he pushes for a starting spot.

4. We need a new defensive coach. I wonder if Andrew Ryan is available? I love the shout out of Mason and Matiua.

5. I have strong feeling most of our signings for next season would be players that under contract and looking for opportunity or move elsewhere.
our "youth policy" hasn't worked because it was switched off during the Hasler years & only turned on again when Pay came in. It takes time when you start from scratch.

Caveman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only reason I'm not running the footy department is cause they haven't called me yet - true story.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I'd love to see James Graham hired as a forwards coach or even a trainer.

I hate hiring people simply because they used to play for us but we need passion instilled into these players and I think Graham would have a lot to offer as he's very articulate and he was a smart, skilled player as well as being an enforcer.

Noddy as a halves coach would be worth looking into as well. I don't care if Baz has a relationship with them or not. It's about results, not personal relationships and jobs for mates like with Ferris..

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

I hate hiring people simply because they used to play for us but we need passion instilled into these players and I think Graham would have a lot to offer as he's very articulate and he was a smart, skilled player as well as being an enforcer.

Noddy as a halves coach would be worth looking into as well. I don't care if Baz has a relationship with them or not. It's about results, not personal relationships and jobs for mates like with Ferris..
Fuckin A. Would love to see Jamma back around the joint.

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score

Jamma around the boys in some capacity is a great shout. He’s a winner, tough as nails and an absolute competitor. Pretty much everything our current crop are lacking.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score

I don't really think any of us can comment on which coaches are right, unless you're actually in the environment.

We can only see far from the outside and not day in day out, player feedback, innovation etc.

From the outside everyone was saying seibold was the best thing since slice bread, he was a complete fraud who only succeeded because the souths players needed a break from Maguire.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Jamma around the boys in some capacity is a great shout. He’s a winner, tough as nails and an absolute competitor. Pretty much everything our current crop are lacking.
He was basically a coach on the field when he played for us and he commanded everyone's respect.. He pretty much changed the way the modern middle forwards play with his passing game. Now they all do it.

It's no coincidence that after Jammer and Ennis left, our record turned to shit. It kills me seeing him wear Saints gear knowing how much he loves the club and how much he'd help.

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
He was basically a coach on the field when he played for us and he commanded everyone's respect.. He pretty much changed the way the modern middle forwards play with his passing game. Now they all do it.

It's no coincidence that after Jammer and Ennis left, our record turned to shit. It kills me seeing him wear Saints gear knowing how much he loves the club and how much he'd help.
Absolutely mate. We should’ve retained him through until retirement and ushered him straight into a coaching/mentor role.

As you said - he commands respect and uses it in the best possible way by setting the standard on-field on game day, the training paddock and off the field.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I don't really think any of us can comment on which coaches are right, unless you're actually in the environment.

We can only see far from the outside and not day in day out, player feedback, innovation etc.

From the outside everyone was saying seibold was the best thing since slice bread, he was a complete fraud who only succeeded because the souths players needed a break from Maguire.
Who said that..? Seibold always was a myth and and I don’t know anyone that rated him. Environment my ass, results are results. Accountability and not ribbons for all for participating....