3 players we need for 2022 (from what's left now)

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I still believe we need an experienced half to partner Burton for a year or 2.

1/ Sezer now seems the best available and like Cotric said he's a Dogs junior and keen. Isn't that one of the major criteria now - wanting to play for the Dogs ?

2/ TPJ - we need a big body to replace Napa. Someone who can run hard and make metres out of our own end, be an X-factor when near the line and also be a bit intimidating and hit hard in defense. There's probably no-one else "available" who has "all" these attributes. Hope the Dragons don't sign him and we get their leftovers in Vaughan

3/ B.Smith of course. We have to make the deal and let the Storm basically pick whoever they want. A few weeks ago I would have offered anyone but Avo but now I'm thinking I'd ever offer him if we could get Smith early for 2022. If we don't get him for 2022 it's going to be a massive negative impact on our chances compared to if we have him.

I was keen on Dufty but I'm completely off him now. He's a definite liability in defence and apparently shit at organising the defensive line

I'm really hoping for 2022 we can field the team below even if we have to backend 1 - 2 contracts slightly until we clear DWZ off our books.

1 Corey Allan / Averillo (Allan should get back to his Souths form at fullback in a good team. Has a passing game. Does Avo have a passing game, can he organise the defence, can he catch bombs ? Too many questions at this stage.)
2 JAC
3 Brent Naden
4 Nick Cotric (I'm still hoping we can turn him into a centre because having a giant 6'5 winger like Okunbor would be great for starting off sets from our own end and I don't really like Allan in the centres. 2 physically strong fast centres together in Naden and Cotric could cause havoc)
5 Jayden Okunbor (capable of making linebreaks from nothing. Cam Smith couldn't handle him remember)
6 Matt Burton
7 Aiden Sezer (Grand Final half with the Raiders only a couple of years ago)
8 TPJ (great, hard front row combining with Smith and Hetherington)
9 Brandon Smith
10 Jack Hetherington
11 RFM
12 Josh Jackson
13 Luke Thompson

Pretty decent forward pack and not small (TPJ and RFM both over 110kgs). I'd love to see TPJ, Hetherington and Thompson together as our middles and RFM (weighty version again) on an edge in attack handy for cut out passes and chasing kicks by Burton, Jacko to clean up on an edge in defence. Smith would make good use of TPJ on the burst when he runs hard at the tryline.

14 Jake Averillo
15 Adam Elliott (happy for him to leave for the Storm though or be shopped around) / Doorey / Topine
17 Renouf Atoni
18 Ava Seumanufagai

Last edited:

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Still wouldn’t part with Avo but like everything else!
I wouldn't like to see him go either but we need Smith so much more and I think Avo could end up out of our starting 13. We could cope without him easier than we could without Smith. We have to ensure we get Smith ahead of the new QLD team. We can give him a pay rise for 2022 which the new team can't IF we can make a deal with the Storm.

enoughsaid

Kennel Tips Winner '04
Reaction score
Sezer is average at best
He hasnt reached no great heights
Wtf would he have to pass on ?

How cold it was in Canberra and what are the best strip bars in Gold coast

Jabba

Kennel Participant
Reaction score

1/ Sezer now seems the best available and like Cotric said he's a Dogs junior and keen. Isn't that one of the major criteria now - wanting to play for the Dogs ?

2/ TPJ - we need a big body to replace Napa. Someone who can run hard and make metres out of our own end, be an X-factor when near the line and also be a bit intimidating and hit hard in defense. There's probably no-one else "available" who has "all" these attributes. Hope the Dragons don't sign him and we get their leftovers in Vaughan

3/ B.Smith of course. We have to make the deal and let the Storm basically pick whoever they want. A few weeks ago I would have offered anyone but Avo but now I'm thinking I'd ever offer him if we could get Smith early for 2022. If we don't get him for 2022 it's going to be a massive negative impact on our chances compared to if we have him.

I was keen on Dufty but I'm completely off him now. He's a definite liability in defence and apparently shit at organising the defensive line

I'm really hoping for 2022 we can field the team below even if we have to backend 1 - 2 contracts slightly until we clear DWZ off our books.

1 Corey Allan / Averillo (Allan should get back to his Souths form at fullback in a good team. Has a passing game. Does Avo have a passing game, can he organise the defence, can he catch bombs ? Too many questions at this stage.)
2 JAC
3 Brent Naden
4 Nick Cotric (I'm still hoping we can turn him into a centre because having a giant 6'5 winger like Okunbor would be great for starting off sets from our own end and I don't really like Allan in the centres. 2 physically strong fast centres together in Naden and Cotric could cause havoc)
5 Jayden Okunbor (capable of making linebreaks from nothing. Cam Smith couldn't handle him remember)
6 Matt Burton
9 Brandon Smith
10 Jack Hetherington
11 RFM
12 Josh Jackson
13 Luke Thompson

Pretty decent forward pack and not small (TPJ and RFM both over 110kgs). I'd love to see TPJ, Hetherington and Thompson together as our middles and RFM (weighty version again) on an edge in attack handy for cut out passes and chasing kicks by Burton, Jacko to clean up on an edge in defence. Smith would make good use of TPJ on the burst when he runs hard at the tryline.

14 Jake Averillo
15 Adam Elliott (happy for him to leave for the Storm though or be shopped around) / Doorey / Topine
17 Renouf Atoni
18 Ava Seumanufagai
TPJ is staying at Broncos now for this year. So too Lodge. Not being released early at this stage. Let's see what happens- they may stay longer. Ikin making a difference already

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

2 JAC
3 Brent Naden
6 Matt Burton
9 Brandon Smith
10 Jack Hetherington
11 RFM
12 Josh Jackson
13 Luke Thompson

14 Jake Averillo
17 Renouf Atoni
18 Ava Seumanufagai
I like this team. Good to see Thompson in 13. Only change I would make is to have JAC at FB.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I don’t believe Smith is genuinely interested in playing for us. Everything’s a joke to him and I bet he’s loving the media attention and yanking everyone’s chain. If Bellamy commits to the storm in 22 I’d say it’s very likely he sees out the last year of his contract too.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
How many of these threads do we need? Plenty more contracted players will become available before the start of next season. We can speculate all we want but there are still eight months before the start of next season and a lot can change between now and then.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sezer is average at best
He hasnt reached no great heights
Wtf would he have to pass on ?

How cold it was in Canberra and what are the best strip bars in Gold coast
He must have gone okay not so long ago when the Raiders made the GF. He would be as good as Blake Green who we actually did sign. He woudn't cost much either. Good back up option if Flanagan fails to get better.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
How many of these threads do we need? Plenty more contracted players will become available before the start of next season. We can speculate all we want but there are still eight months before the start of next season and a lot can change between now and then.
YES!

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
TPJ is staying at Broncos now for this year. So too Lodge. Not being released early at this stage. Let's see what happens- they may stay longer. Ikin making a difference already
Cheers. I wasn't aware of that

Bulldogs fan

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
1. Allan this guy can perform in a good team
2. Jac
3.naden
4. Schoop
5.cotric
6.avo
7. Burton
8.tpj
9. Smith
10 pom
11 rfm
12 doorey
13 josh j
14 topine
15 Elliot
16 hethrington
17 atoni
18 jmk

reserves

waddle
Ava
Wakeham
Okonbull
Helata
Ogden
Dietz
Sign some fowards and we are done

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I know this is not a very popular opinion on here but I’d take sezer. He can do a job similar to hodkinson. He can kick us out of trouble and can pin teams in the corner. His goal kicking and pressure field goals are also a bonus.

The only downside is burton is a left legged kicker too. So unless our hooker has a right boot on him or our fullback can do a bit of kicking if the pressure is on it might be hard to set up kicks (especially field goals) as they could get in each other’s way.

at the end of the day with b Smith. We need to give him an offer and a deadline. Don’t fuff around. Give him 870k or so and tell him this is valid for 48hrs. If he stuffs around then stuff him off. We should call Hodgson. Fair enough at the back end of his career but is steers ahead of jmk, and planets ahead of katoa. Has a nice boot on him. Has tremendous service from dh, and has vision which will only help develop burton. He has been injury prone, but could be a smaller risk for a 2 year deal then getting cottage cheese for 4 on a million a season only to realise he can’t cut it as a 80 min player.

we do need a great fullback. Unless we can get avo converted into a ball playing #1 we are still in need of one. He could be an option for centre (avo) but I’d like to give cotric one more chance there. Between schoup, avo, alamoti we should have depth at centre For a few years to come if cotric fails again. If he does he can slot back to the wing.

We do lack a forward leader to partner thompson. And a young buck for the bench.

But I really do see us as a much better team with sezer, Smith/Hodgson, tpj. The only thing is from what we saw with origin and the nrl, if you aren’t the absolute best in the league you won’t be grinding out wins. And with the new rules and the new game we might be competitive. But competitive is losing 32-6 instead of 50-6.

Last edited:

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
And meanwhile back at belmore...........................

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

2 JAC
3 Brent Naden
6 Matt Burton
9 Brandon Smith
10 Jack Hetherington
11 RFM
12 Josh Jackson
13 Luke Thompson

14 Jake Averillo
17 Renouf Atoni
18 Ava Seumanufagai
I like most of your choices,but for me averilo,is more a running player than an organiser,and I for one like dufty,simply because our attack has been so ordinary over the last 3 years,and having him and burton in the same team,gives us more options,on either side of the field.