Rumour Dufty in talks with the Bulldogs

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah you can't compare. Raiders have a great team that should be competing for top 4 so its easy for them to put in an established player like Dufty in. For us, we are rebuilding, we are not after quick fixes and as you said we would need to pay overs for him anyway and he is not worth it.
What other players are we looking at to play fullback?

From the area

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dufty is not in the elite class of Tom T or Tedesco but he’s definitely in the class under. He will bring a much needed X factor to the backline. Another threat. There is no point in us throwing shape with snails like Hoppa or DWZ. Speed kills and can put the defence in two minds! Now to piss of DWZ and his $880k he’s on! I wonder what moron allowed that to happen?

Philmus

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe we look for a hooker first that’s not a reserve grader unless you can find another grant who doesn’t get as injured as much as him?

Seriously this club needs a move on with recruitment, how much of a slap in the face would it be if the club can’t recruit any one decent for next year… that will be a massive fail
the longer we wait, the more likely we wont recruit anybody as nobody will be available. For a club with so many off contract and supposedly a 'war chest' of cash to spend, they've done absolutely nothing as far as recruitment next year. If the club thinks a winger and rookie half will turn this club around and they don't need anybody else, then the on field issues are far outweighed by the issues of those running the club. I feel like Barrett is so stuck on trying to sign Brandon Smith that he's completely overlooked other players that have become available that could actually bolster our side, like Dufty, Hynes, Capewell, Pangai Jr etc. I understand not every player that becomes available will want to come to Belmore but from what i've seen its as if we aren't even in talks with anybody. Its been 6 weeks since Naden was announced and its like the club has shut up shop now, there isnt even any word of retention for some of those coming off contract within the club. I'm seriously worried we're going to panic buy rubbish players like Mitch Kenny come November when all the real talent has been snapped up or pay well overs for contracted player and be in exactly the same predicament next year with both ability and cap. If everybody on this forum can see what we need to do, why cant the club? And theres no reason to wait until November, not like we've got a season to focus on as we're destined for the spoon and will struggle to get 6 points this year - even with the bye

CBDoggies

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
the longer we wait, the more likely we wont recruit anybody as nobody will be available. For a club with so many off contract and supposedly a 'war chest' of cash to spend, they've done absolutely nothing as far as recruitment next year. If the club thinks a winger and rookie half will turn this club around and they don't need anybody else, then the on field issues are far outweighed by the issues of those running the club. I feel like Barrett is so stuck on trying to sign Brandon Smith that he's completely overlooked other players that have become available that could actually bolster our side, like Dufty, Hynes, Capewell, Pangai Jr etc. I understand not every player that becomes available will want to come to Belmore but from what i've seen its as if we aren't even in talks with anybody. Its been 6 weeks since Naden was announced and its like the club has shut up shop now, there isnt even any word of retention for some of those coming off contract within the club. I'm seriously worried we're going to panic buy rubbish players like Mitch Kenny come November when all the real talent has been snapped up or pay well overs for contracted player and be in exactly the same predicament next year with both ability and cap. If everybody on this forum can see what we need to do, why cant the club? And theres no reason to wait until November, not like we've got a season to focus on as we're destined for the spoon and will struggle to get 6 points this year - even with the bye
Looking at it from outside in yes it looks like we ain’t involved but I’m sure they are either 1. Close to if not signed some players and yet to announce or 2. Have tried hard for certain players but have been rejected.

Either way I get your point. I’m giving baz next year and if he can’t recruit the proper players and get this team wining games then I’ll be the first to sound out a sacking…. I guess time will tell and I just hope it turns out well and not another fail of a year again next year

Philmus

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looking at it from outside in yes it looks like we ain’t involved but I’m sure they are either 1. Close to if not signed some players and yet to announce or 2. Have tried hard for certain players but have been rejected.

Either way I get your point. I’m giving baz next year and if he can’t recruit the proper players and get this team wining games then I’ll be the first to sound out a sacking…. I guess time will tell and I just hope it turns out well and not another fail of a year again next year
I'm not calling for his head yet but i'd really like to see the club be way more proactive than they have been. We're forever linked to every player that comes up as unwanted or off contract but then its crickets from the club. They're too busy ousting boards and board members and putting up 'highlights of the week' when we get flogged to get on the front foot and sign some better players for next year. I'm sure they promised JAC and Burton that they would be walking in to a different team than we currently have next year but at this point i cant see how we're going to be able to make good on that with the club sitting on its hands

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'm not calling for his head yet but i'd really like to see the club be way more proactive than they have been. We're forever linked to every player that comes up as unwanted or off contract but then its crickets from the club. They're too busy ousting boards and board members and putting up 'highlights of the week' when we get flogged to get on the front foot and sign some better players for next year. I'm sure they promised JAC and Burton that they would be walking in to a different team than we currently have next year but at this point i cant see how we're going to be able to make good on that with the club sitting on its hands
The silence from everyone at the club bar Baz is deafening. It looks like if things get even worse (if that's possible) they will just sack the coach... again!

Have they even thought of a sports psychologist?

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dufty is not in the elite class of Tom T or Tedesco but he’s definitely in the class under. He will bring a much needed X factor to the backline. Another threat. There is no point in us throwing shape with snails like Hoppa or DWZ. Speed kills and can put the defence in two minds! Now to piss of DWZ and his $880k he’s on! I wonder what moron allowed that to happen?
I can't believe we wouldn't make a play for Dufti. Let's be honest we are never going to get an elite player in the tedesco class at fullback but Dufti is 10 times better than what we have had in the past. Surely we can afford him and still have money to buy a good hooker and a quality prop. Even if we can't offload DWZ this year he w ill be off our books next year. I know people are saying we have already heavily invested in our backs but he is a ball playing fullback who would also take pressure off our halves. And we can get rid off dud players like Allen. Baret thas said from the outset that he needs to nail recruitment. Allen, Wadell and Flanagan...barett has fuked up and if if he keeps getting it wrong he will not last past 2 years into his contract.

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Broncos just pulled out from signing Duffty looks like the only club after him is raiders.
I still think we should make a play for him.
I don’t mind him either
A bit of genuine speed and he seems to hang around the ruck just in case.
We need to trust TB judgment whatever he’s doing behind the scenes.

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Baz hanging around the ruck too long and too far behind the scenes lol :grinning:
Haha
Give him a decent shot there is still plenty of time to bring in others and make announcements
Our management is keeping things very close to their chest as they should.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Haha
Give him a decent shot there is still plenty of time to bring in others and make announcements
Our management is keeping things very close to their chest as they should.
I'm hoping that is the case, I really do. The other option is that they are clueless and have no options at all.

Turvey Chip and Chase

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
For us to show no interest makes me think JAC is Baz’s FB next year. Not saying I agree (or disagree) but seems his choice.

Maybe

JAC
Cotric
Naden
Allan / Schoupp
Okunbor
Burton
SJ

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just don’t get why we have to keep things close to our chest just tell the fans how it is.
Unfortunately mate certain negotiations might be still at the table or a player instructing our management not to make things public until later in the season.

Last edited: