Shaun Johnson consolidated thread

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yes mate , what a legend bloke and player
I remember listening to the radio when Trevor Cogger came on as a replacement for Wests against us in 1982. He was sitting on the hill with his mates eating a pie when he was summoned to the dressing sheds. He came on as a replacement & scored 2 tries & Wests won the match.

FaceBreaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
And Neil Henry paid for Hayne’s arrogance with his job, because he wasn’t putting up with Hayne’s garbage but lost that battle. At least the truth is now known and Jarryd has 3 years and 8 months to think about it.
Imagine saying no to SJ for 800k but giving DWZ 880k
there is no way we are paying dwz 880k

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yeh I don't believe that for a minute, even it's higher than the suspected 550 why go and pay overs again for Johnson?? and 800 is massive overs.
I don't think getting him works even if Flanno gets taken off our hands because we likely would have to pay some of his fukn contract plus pay this guy near 500 on top as well, f that!!

gibbo2

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I disagree, there's a playstyle difference between the two, look at Cleary and Luai at the Panthers for e.g. (it's a yin yang situation) I'm not talking about the number on the back. A fullback is closer to a five-eighth than a halfback is to a five-eighth in today's game (yes, you can get a hybrid between the two). Our next goal is top 8, not top 4, that's forever away (realistically) in the salary cap world coming from where we're.
That is the individual style of those players rather than the position they play. 6 and 7 realistically don’t do anything different any more . Full back is way different to five eight. Look at the weekly run metres of the 2 positions. Full backs work there arse off.

Sloth

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
With the way that the game is evolving, SJ and Dufty are going to be great signings to whoever picks them up.

Regardless if SJ has a track record with injuries. I don’t think there is another available half that can assist our resident robot Flanagan with that “Freestyle” footy he needs to develop than SJ. Especially if Flanagan is our long term halfback.

Something we lacked desperately was experience and attack this year and we all saw how we played against the panthers until Jacko went off, we quickly crumbled if you didn’t watch. We were great in defence but we could offer nothing in attack.

Our experiment with inexperienced halves has failed, Avo has sparks but tends to disappear when the pressure is on and his partners aren’t up to scratch. If Avo and Flanagan want to be one of the long term half then they both need to developed in NSW cup. Regardless if some of you think that Avo has been our “best player” or the messiah, he would not make a first grade team as a half in another team. Avo is discount Anthony Milford

You put Burton and SJ in the spine and then add that with our backline we’ve got exciting attacking potential.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
With the way that the game is evolving, SJ and Dufty are going to be great signings to whoever picks them up.

Regardless if SJ has a track record with injuries. I don’t think there is another available half that can assist our resident robot Flanagan with that “Freestyle” footy he needs to develop than SJ. Especially if Flanagan is our long term halfback.

Something we lacked desperately was experience and attack this year and we all saw how we played against the panthers until Jacko went off, we quickly crumbled if you didn’t watch. We were great in defence but we could offer nothing in attack.

Our experiment with inexperienced halves has failed, Avo has sparks but tends to disappear when the pressure is on and his partners aren’t up to scratch. If Avo and Flanagan want to be one of the long term half then they both need to developed in NSW cup. Regardless if some of you think that Avo has been our “best player” or the messiah, he would not make a first grade team as a half in another team. Avo is discount Anthony Milford

You put Burton and SJ in the spine and then add that with our backline we’ve got exciting attacking potential.
My thoughts exactly, well said.!!

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score

Could probably add Sezer to that reasoning, if price right and only 2 year contract?

OldDogFan

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Johnson or Sezer would be nice, just get rid of Flanno FFS
Geez, I remember in the not too distant past when we had Sezer and everybody.... I mean everybody was screaming to get rid of him, just like everybody wants to get rif of Flanno! As Midnihht Oil once sang " Short memory... must have a short memory"

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
On the assumption that Napa Britt Roumanos Ogden, Ava, atoni are not resigned - we need forwards - at least three first grade ready. Canberra have too many middlle forwards on contract and minimal backs - id be enquiring about a few of those - except for Horsbrough

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Geez, I remember in the not too distant past when we had Sezer and everybody.... I mean everybody was screaming to get rid of him, just like everybody wants to get rif of Flanno! As Midnihht Oil once sang " Short memory... must have a short memory"
Desperate times call for desperate measures.

We need a running, kicking, game manager to help out Burto.

simmmo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So we are going to keep Flanagan in reggies and pay him 400k a year while we pay Johnson around 500k a year....I call bullshit...Johnson will not be a dog
Flanno has probably got to do a stint in the Super League

Dogs79

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Not sure if SJ is the answer, but even with this current squad I can’t help but think that with a proper game manager and/or experience we win those games this year against Canberra and Cowboys. We might have even got the Titans and Knights. Those were the games that we were in it only to have some silly errors and lack of experience/direction in the crucial parts of the game when they were in the balance.

Last edited:

Jai81

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
not me champ!

Sloth

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Could probably add Sezer to that reasoning, if price right and only 2 year contract?
I’d still prefer SJ over Sezer, IMO Sezer didn’t really do much while he was in the Titans and he’s not exactly setting the world on fire in Super league. Sezer really benefited from being in the raiders (stock wise), and he’ll probably end up at the Sharks if they can’t get Mitchell Pearce.

SJ on the other hand, carried the warriors for years and had a great 2020 season last year when he played. With our facilities that for some reason people like being toured around, his health and conditioning will only improve.

He might not be the same player at the warriors but I think they’re a lot more that SJ can offer for years to come while Sezer would just offer a band aid solution for now.

Snake

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
At the end of the day we need experience in the spine. We ain’t achieving jack shiet with burto and Flano next year. This competition is too hard on young halves. If we are stuck with a Burto and Flano partnership we need the rockstar full back and hooker or we destined for bottom 8

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
At the end of the day we need experience in the spine. We ain’t achieving jack shiet with burto and Flano next year. This competition is too hard on young halves. If we are stuck with a Burto and Flano partnership we need the rockstar full back and hooker or we destined for bottom 8
And what are u going to do with Flanno? Pay him 450k a year t o rot in reggies for the next 2 years? We were that desperate for a half Barrett jumps at Flanagan...ffs our biggest problem for the last 5 years has been the halves and powder stuff forwards!

Snake

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
And what are u going to do with Flanno? Pay him 450k a year t o rot in reggies for the next 2 years? We were that desperate for a half Barrett jumps at Flanagan...ffs our biggest problem for the last 5 years has been the halves and powder stuff forwards!
Yep, Flano to reggies to act as cover for Burton and Johnson . If he played well enough to force his away into the team it’s a win all round. Barrett needs to have the ability to admit Flano is not the answer, to pivot and move in a new direction. All great leaders have this ability.