Bulldogs freeze on contract upgrades

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Put the broom through all 15 no questions asked.

These players have had enough time and chances to prove themselves and I have not seen any one of them go to another level even in the mediocre teams we have fielded in the past. Not one player stands out week in week out, not one!!!!!

Of these 15 players we don't have representative players, we have not had top point scorers and top try scorers not even close to the top four of these categories and we have not had a player even looking like getting in top of the Dally M's.

To compete for Premierships we have to have better individuals in key positions and if individuals are competitive with all of the above then the team will benefit as a whole but other individuals will strive with better players around them. We have lacked any class whatsoever.

We can no longer be sentimental and feel sorry for players who simply have not cut it in the NRL.

Lets now start a new era leaded by Burton, JAC, Naden and future players wanting to play for us.

Lets go Doggie's!!!!
Absolutely, everything you were saying I was nodding my head up and down.

It's just been too long without some decent individuals in the team.

One thing that really annoys the crap out of me, is our defense. Now I can understand if players are not gifted as attackers, but defense is all attitude, any player can defend if they really wanted to. I'm just so sick of the shirt grabbing, arm swinging no hopers who trip over each other and just stand there clueless. Our players don't even know how to peel off the tackled player once they make a tackle either.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score

One thing that really annoys the crap out of me, is our defense. Now I can understand if players are not gifted as attackers, but defense is all attitude, any player can defend if they really wanted to. I'm just so sick of the shirt grabbing, arm swinging no hopers who trip over each other and just stand there clueless. Our players don't even know how to peel off the tackled player once they make a tackle either.
Severe lack of player discipline in this team in all facets of the game.

I won't say "total lack" bc of Thommo.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
It's must be a huge relief for JAC, Burton and Co that they don't have to line up with majority of these bums next year.

I reckon majority of them will be playing nsw cup next year..
I wouldn't be surprised if Baz has already told JAC and Burton that we won't be keeping most of the duds off contract either, to assure them there will be some half decent players that they will be playing with.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised if Baz has already told JAC and Burton that we won't be keeping most of the duds off contract either, to assure them there will be some half decent players that they will be playing with.
Would have needed to say that at their very first meeting :(...otherwise there wouldn't have been a second one.

Last edited:

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I will keep saying it. Penriths best asset is their D..

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Agree. They definitely would have had concerns about the roster so I'm sure Barrett must've filled them in on our recruitment hence why they are still confident about coming and not making any noise..... It's just the media with their garbage write up trying to causing unsettlement.

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The longer this shit drags on about Brandon smith the more it’s not happening. Everyone in world knows bulldogs need a hooker smith knows they are keen on him it’s been in media for months now. If it’s going to happen it should’ve happened but now. Why any player would wanna leave the storm is beyond me. They always win they are away from
The Sydney hype and even if on the bench still part of a team flogging everyone every week.
Agree I suspect it's not happening as well For me the silence is deafening. If someone makes you an offer then you're either sold or not, but you know pretty quickly.

I hope Grant is an option, but I still doubt it. I'd go for Hodgson right now and that would give us another year or two to get someone better if they develop or come on the market.

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

You're right it's 100% attitude.

I put that down to many players knowing they won't be here next season .... no contact from the club with their managers re a new deal or they've already been told they're not in Barrett's plans for next season.

So while the cricket scores atm suck, at least we know a big clean out is well and truly under way.

The__GM

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I mean, here's the full list of off-contract players & my thoughts on if we should keep or let them go (Per NRL.com contracts tracker)

• Britt (Go)
  • Crichton (Go)
  • Tyrone Harding (Already released?)
  • Will Hopoate (Go to England)
  • S Katoa (Go to England)
  • T Katoa (Go)
  • Lachlan Lewis (Go)
  • JMK (Go)
  • Meany (Go)
  • Napa (Go)
  • Ogden (Don't mind if he stays or leaves)
  • Okunbor (Stay)
  • Roumanos (Go)
  • Seumanufagai (Don't mind either)
  • Chris Smith (Don't mind either)
  • Atoni (Stay)

So that's - 2 stays, 3 don't mind if they stay or go.

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The statement that there's a retention freeze is also a strategy to try and minimise the harm on the field with the off contract players as well.

cookieman909

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I mean, here's the full list of off-contract players & my thoughts on if we should keep or let them go (Per NRL.com contracts tracker)

• Britt (Go)
  • Crichton (Go)
  • T Katoa (Go)
  • Lachlan Lewis (Go)
  • JMK (Go)
  • Meany (Go)
  • Napa (Go)
  • Okunbor (Stay)
  • Roumanos (Go)
  • Atoni (Stay)

From that list I’d only re-sign:
Atoni (1 year to prove yourself in a good team)
Meaney (2 year deal, depth signing)
Okunbor ( 2 year deal, depth signing)

MariaZ

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Aside from Renouf and maybe Okunbur and Meaney, there's no one you'd even consider re-signing.
I can’t work out why TB dropped Atoni and play Napa if Napa is going?

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not that the majority of these players deserve a contract extension but we shouldn’t get to this position again having 16 guys finishing up at the same time.
I’m not sure if it’s normal or good practice.
In my opinion this situation has contributed towards our terrible season.
They simply haven’t put in since round 1 knowing they were out the door come September.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

• Britt (Go)
  • Crichton (Go)
  • T Katoa (Go)
  • Lachlan Lewis (Go)
  • JMK (Go)
  • Meany (Go)
  • Napa (Go)
  • Okunbor (Stay)
  • Roumanos (Go)
  • Atoni (Stay)

You left Deitz out of your list,
Depending on their asking price, I would keep these players
Okunbor
Seumanufagai
Smith
Deitz
Atoni