Avo at 1?

kungfuman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Meaney for fullback
I think so too, Avo won't tackle, imagine your fullback scared at putting his body on the line, Meaney is a bit hot and cold but he's improving his support play. Its got to be Meaney or Avo at the back for the year and Wakeham is a ball player i think he'd improve in time but shit we have some poor defenders this year im gald i dont have to pick the side because changes are made to improve the team but with our available players it doesn't happen that way.If we get some troops back like Ock and balls, Jacko we might win two more and give the Gronks another spoon.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it would be tough to throw him in at fullback if he hasn’t played much of it. There is a lot of running and a lot of organising.

Also since DWZ has went back there our starts to the set are pretty good and we are not getting dominated nearly as much as we were earlier in the year in terms of yardage.

The change I would like to see is when we attack in good field position. Hoppa to fullback , Cotric to right centre and DWZ right wing.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Rewatch the game.
I did and without an Atoni cheer squad hat like yourself. If you read my posts you know I thought it was stupid he was replaced after 15 mins for Waddell. But, he was far from impressive. Adequate is more like it

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I did and without an Atoni cheer squad hat like yourself. If you read my posts you know I thought it was stupid he was replaced after 15 mins for Waddell. But, he was far from impressive. Adequate is more like it
This is an Averillo thread.

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Keep him in the halves, buy Dufty or Kennedy.

I wanted him playing fullback but now he's the best half we have and the process of transitioning him to fullback, which is a 2 season project, has been delayed.

silva

Utility
Reaction score
Yup. We moved the ball a fair bit better with Jake and Wakeham yesterday and our backs saw better ball. Unfortunately for us our backs were the ones messing things up and not finishing our chances. We honestly bombed 4 clear tries yesterday just form the top of my head...Hoppa failing to linkup with Cotric at twice (does he even know Cotric exists?) for two tries, Katoa not passing to Jake, Elliott failing to linkup with Meaney after a short side play from Jake. You can then add in the numerous other instances that were potential try scoring opportunities like Meaney finding himself in space and being a cat by cutting back inside at half pace, Wakeham inside ball to Renouf who broke the line with absolutely zero support, Waddell falling short, etc.

We actually created opportunities this week compared to previous weeks where we created fuck all. Hopefully Baz realises this and gives Wakeham/Averillo another run while changing up a few underperformers now that he can select the players from outside the 30.
100% so next year with jac burton and naden wel have finishers plus a better half to run the shape

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
NO.. he showed good promise yesterday, was happy with him in the halves, needs to stay there and build confidence and learn leadership. He’s only young an can be great. Or not. Time will tell.

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why move Avo to FB now when he can use the remainder of the season to continue learning the halves postion.
I still think Flanagan will be the 7 to partner Burton next season. Or at least be given the opportunity.

Flanagan will be sent to Mounties for a month or so to work on his game and get some confidence and then will be back in First Grade. Regardless of the current situation. I’m sure Flanagan is still their preferred option.

I don’t know if Averillo is a fullback or not but he definitely not a world beater at 7. I am all for seeing what he can do at 1. If Flanagan doesn’t work out at 7 they should look at Shaun Johnson. The modern game is about less structure which suits Johnson. Flanagan needs to go back to reggies at learn to play with less structure.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Absolutely but those are the only options we have. Who else will partner Burton next season though? Not Flanagan. Not Wakeham or Lewis.
Lewis should be medically retired. He is putting himself in danger every game, and hasn't completed a game in FG without being assisted off.
It would be irresponsible for the club to keep using him.
He needs to be reminded that he has a life after football.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Lewis should be medically retired. He is putting himself in danger every game, and hasn't completed a game in FG without being assisted off.
It would be irresponsible for the club to keep using him.
He needs to be reminded that he has a life after football.
Adam elliot should medically retire as well, just as long as the NRL doesn't check his cognitive tests at the start of the season

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Sounds great... let’s buy the best winger and play him out of position at fullback. What could possibly go wrong? Sounds like a new plan....

Rockdog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Our season is over. It's time to try things that we may/may not do next season. We should be blooding guys that we intend on keeping around and discarding those who we don't.
IMO I think Barrett will still go with Burton and Flanagan next season. Avo has been ok in the halves but still not great. His long kicking game wasn't good yesterday and his front line defence is questionable. I think him and meaney are probably our best support players when the odd break happens here and there they are quick enough to get there.
I think we should give Avo a few games at FB throughout the season to see how he goes. Have DWZ replace Katoa on the wing. Give Doorey and Atoni more mins. Give Schoupp a run. Let Deitz start.
We can't keep picking the katoas, Smith, wakeham etc. They've had their chance and just aren't up to it.
Next year Burton, Naden, Cotric, Fox, Allan, DWZ are a lock in the backline. We need to figure out how we are going to use Avo and Flanagan.
Perhaps a run in the centre’s for Avo also.