Kyle Flanagan Mid-Week Press Conference | Round 10 v Raiders

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thx for putting that back up again mate,
I have no ill feelings towards him and truly wish that in time he becomes our long term successful half along side Burton.
My role as a supporter is going to watch the boys play and trusting TB judgment regarding all football club matters.
Its never comfortable watching a young person struggle in any shape or form regardless of what profession it is.

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
I feel for Flanno, but you would think he has never failed at anything in his life. It was just a hook, he deserved it, but it's not the end of the world for him.

Should have held him back from all media obligations this week.

Last edited:

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
What's that got to do with anything? It makes it OK to give this kid shit because it was done in the past to someone else?
Forgot to add, that many of those who care so much about Kyle's mental health, have got pages and pages of abuse directed at Lichaa.

So I'm basically saying get off your high horses

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I have been critical of our players (like most on here) but seeing Flanagan getting emotional is showing that its having a big affect on him.

Being labeled as the scapegoat for the roosters crashing out of the finals and then coming into a club that's in a rebuild phase and having only won 1 game during his first few months playing for the club is clearly having a negative impact on his mental health.

Please guys Mental Health isn't a laughing matter. The nasty comments on here are one of the many reasons why people don't speak out.

Last edited:

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
It’s only the few seconds where he breaks down a little I wouldn’t mind seeing the full video. Was there anything else that was relevant or the main part was just his emotion?
He handled the vultures quite well overall. The media just focussed on him being dropped at half time, with 20 different ways of asking the same thing.

The emotion was a very short part where he got upset bc of his Dad's pride in him and they are a footy family.

He said he wasnt used to loosing in a poor team (paraphrasing) and team mates were supportive.

They asked about all the stress with too much responsibility with our underachieving players (paraphrasing) and he just looked up and kinda had a rye look back at the reporter and went on with the stock standard answers....I reckon a move is on the cards as well.

He hasn't gone well but we all know it would be near impossible being the 7 with this team at present.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Imo it was a mistake by your club to make him front the media and that's been confirmed by them taking the video down. He's obviously struggling mentally and most questions were always going to be about his benching, so I don't know why they thought putting him out there would help him.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Forgot to add, that many of those who care so much about Kyle's mental health, have got pages and pages of abuse directed at Lichaa.

So I'm basically saying get off your high horses
Again. You defence of slagging off Flanno is to say people did it to someone else so it's OK now?

I couldn't care less if Tom, Dick or Harry gave whatever player shit in the past. No one should be taking the piss out of mental health like it's been done now.

Stop trying to excuse it by referring to other incidences in the past. There's no revelance.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Again. You defence of slagging off Flanno is to say people did it to someone else so it's OK now?

I couldn't care less if Tom, Dick or Harry gave whatever player shit in the past. No one should be taking the piss out of mental health like it's been done now.

Stop trying to excuse it by referring to other incidences in the past. There's no revelance.
What if Flanagan is just a dickhead?

daisy

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
What your seeing with this kid breaking down is indicative of the kids these days. He has been protected all the way through his junior football, and been brought up amongst the mutual admiration society of Cronulla , where all of his junior rep coaches were massive sucks of his father, and his father had heavy influence on him playing junior rep footy also( I know because my brother in law is former hands on nswrl employee). His father and him were bewildered when the first copped a bit of honesty or should I say reality given to them Robinson at easts, they couldn’t believe it, nor could they accept kyles limitations as a nrl player. And what your seeing from Barrett is a realisation in regards to his ceiling as an nrl player, it’s not as high as people think or hoped, unfortunately Kyle is experiencing reality and truth a little bit later than a lot of kids that play elite level rl, and he isn’t handling it well.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score

Point out where I'm slagging him?

Is it slagging him by saying he needs to put things into perspective?

Is it slagging him by saying the ball is still in his court and he prove his doubters wrong?

Because that's pretty much what I've said.

And yeh there's relevance with the abuse directed at Lichaa, or doesn't Lichaa's mental health matter now?

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
it shows he is passionate about his performance and the team. Thats the way i see it
Of course it does. Still shows what I said though, be blind not to see it

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Point out where I'm slagging him?

Is it slagging him by saying he needs to put things into perspective?

Is it slagging him by saying the ball is still in his court and he prove his doubters wrong?

Because that's pretty much what I've said.

And yeh there's relevance with the abuse directed at Lichaa, or doesn't Lichaa's mental health matter now?
Don't see the relevance in the slightest. Happy for you to trawl back through all the posts to prove whatever point you want to prove, but to me it means absolutely nothing other than grown men trying to compare dick sizes & to show they were right and you were wrong or whatever.

Look. When people are dealing with emotions or whatever saying "toughen up and prove yourself" is one of the key reasons why the suicide rate amongst men is so high in the UK (can't speak for Aus as I don't know). It's exactly this type of attitude that leads to men with mental health issues not speaking to anyone, and internalising everything. Then one day he's gone and everyone's saying "Where the fuck did that come from?"

Sorry. I'm not in the slightest saying that Kyle should be mothered over this. He needs support. He needs to work hard. He needs to psuh through this. But, he doesn't need to be told by keyboard warriors to 'toughen up'.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Don't see the relevance in the slightest. Happy for you to trawl back through all the posts to prove whatever point you want to prove, but to me it means absolutely nothing other than grown men trying to compare dick sizes & to show they were right and you were wrong or whatever.

Look. When people are dealing with emotions or whatever saying "toughen up and prove yourself" is one of the key reasons why the suicide rate amongst men is so high in the UK (can't speak for Aus as I don't know). It's exactly this type of attitude that leads to men with mental health issues not speaking to anyone, and internalising everything. Then one day he's gone and everyone's saying "Where the fuck did that come from?"

Sorry. I'm not in the slightest saying that Kyle should be mothered over this. He needs support. He needs to work hard. He needs to psuh through this. But, he doesn't need to be told by keyboard warriors to 'toughen up'.
Do you honestly fucking think that professional sports organisations don't have those support mechanisms set up in this day and age?????

FFS you people are fucking drama queens and this is coming from probably the most "PC" person on the forum.

Raysie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
There's not many halfbacks that could walk into this rubble of a squad and do well, but he'd have to admit he's been shocking so far.

He needs to play what's in front of him. Watching him out there, he's just running through his training drills and plays. He can't control much in attack with what he's got around him, but he could at the least get his last tackle kicks right. That kick on tackle 1 that he made killed me.

I still think he can bounce back, but my confidence in him is falling. Hoping better players coming in next year and Burton to help him out will make a big difference.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Do you honestly fucking think that professional sports organisations don't have those support mechanisms set up in this day and age?????

FFS you people are fucking drama queens and this is coming from probably the most "PC" person on the forum.
You're the most PC person on this forum? Fucking hell. Heard it all now! LOL. Now I really should scroll back through many of your comments over there years on here ;)

So what if they've got support mechanism or whatever set up? Doesn't mean we should simply brush off any emotions these guys have. Dismiss them because "They've got all the support. They get paid well. It's their job. I live in worse conditions" blah blah blah.

Yes. He's luckier than many. Yes. He's a paid professional. Yes. He needs to take responsibilty. Yes. He's got more support than many.

So what? Does that mean we simply say "Mental health shouldn't be talked about in cases like his?"

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
A lot of pressure for a young half, coming from a team with epic players to help your cause.. then to come to a doggies team which has been struggling and a different end of the scale. Especially having such huge wraps so early on!! It would be very daunting,

I hope he improves,just been disappointing and underwhelming.. Wish him all the best,for wherever his path takes him moving forward..!!