Opinion Josh Jackson

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I hate to say it because he deserves better but the harsh reality is we should probably tell him to look for a deal somewhere else.
Yet we re-signed him on 700k per year.. thankfully those clowns are gone.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Yet we re-signed him on 700k per year.. thankfully those clowns are gone.
That's too much, but he's only on 500k in the salary cap which honestly isn't bad. He's also our captain (and only obvious option). If we lost him back when we re-signed him there would of been an outrage, same as DWZ.

the12thman

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I love Jacko but unfortunately it looks like he has taken over the role Tolman performed by doing alot of the grunt work.

We are paying him too much money for him to play like this.

He really needs to develop some good footwork before the line as well as some slick ball playing abilities.

Also he is not a great captain. Take that responsibility off his shoulders and let his game develop and flourish.

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I have nothing against him, I just don't see how we're getting any sort of value our of him moving forward.
That's the problem.

Where does he play? He's undersized but not quick, he's strong but doesn't break tackles or create opportunities for second phase, he's not an especially clever ball player, he doesn't run good lines. He's a strong defender with a lot of heart but is he going to start hindering the development of guys like Topine, (who I think is our future 13) Doorey etc?

It sucks, I have all the time in world for Josh but the game has blown by him.

Kurrupt78

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's too much, but he's only on 500k in the salary cap which honestly isn't bad. He's also our captain (and only obvious option). If we lost him back when we re-signed him there would of been an outrage, same as DWZ.
Jackson needs to be around and on a lighter pay package. The captaincy thing also needs to be reviewed. Overall, if the price is right, it’s beneficial having him around as he’s pretty much the only senior figure left.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
That's the problem.

Where does he play? He's undersized but not quick, he's strong but doesn't break tackles or create opportunities for second phase, he's not an especially clever ball player, he doesn't run good lines. He's a strong defender with a lot of heart but is he going to start hindering the development of guys like Topine, (who I think is our future 13) Doorey etc?

It sucks, I have all the time in world for Josh but the game has blown by him.
His body type is second row/lock. That's where he plays. I'm curious what your thoughts are on someone like Finucane.

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
His body type is second row/lock. That's where he plays. I'm curious what your thoughts are on someone like Finucane.
You're right but the current players with his body type are now agile runners like Murray, ball players like Radley etc.

If I'm at the Storm I let Finucane walk and (attempt) to sell B.Smith on being playing 13.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
great clubman very loyal etc etc but i agree i worry about the next 2 and a half years he doesnt offer anything in attack so yeh too hard for me to decide..solid in D but would have to be solid in the middle maybe as Waddell looks like he can create tries.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
He would do well in the UK. Wasn’t a sensible decision signing him for the amount and length we did. Can’t see any NRL club taking him on. I know many people won’t like hearing it because he’s the captain and loves the club but that’s the reality.

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
It should also be stated that he's a bit of a victim to the composition of the rest of the pack. Like when we were carting out: Hetherington, Napa/Ogden, Waddell, Elliott and Jackson it's just not obvious to me who's supposed to be cracking 150m

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Waddell better than Jackson I don't think so, but where does Jacko fit into this new fast era?
Does he need a new attitude to get into the swing of things?

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Waddell plays one good game (not even good the whole game only the first half) against the sharks and now he is our saviour.

Plus we need experience we can’t do a broncos and hope every young gun does well
I didn't reply on the thread but I was really surprised to see how much everyone was praising him (it was like I was the only one thinking otherwise). I thought he was average at best.

ricko_29

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fuck it put him at halfback , he showed way more ball skills, passing ability, vision and the coconuts to take the line on and pass at the line in one game a few weeks ago than that little shit Flanagan has all year.

I've also seen Jacko ACTUALLY ATTEMPT repeat sets and roll a grubber in.

Am I right or or am I right?

dogsballs

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I was thinking about this yesterday, if he bulked up a little more I wonder if he could be a prop. Steve price started out as a second rower for example.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Waddell plays one good game (not even good the whole game only the first half) against the sharks and now he is our saviour.

Plus we need experience we can’t do a broncos and hope every young gun does well
Only good the first half? Yes, because that's when he was playing lock. And he isn't the saviour but he offered a hell of a lot more than Jackson has while playing lock. Topine also another option moving forward. I get people like Jackson but he is offering very little other than racking up a high tackle count.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I was thinking about this yesterday, if he bulked up a little more I wonder if he could be a prop. Steve price started out as a second rower for example.
That's kind of the only path I see moving forward. Bench him, reduce his minutes and just have him focus on carrying the ball forward and defending...he can't seem to do much else these days.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I have nothing against him, I just don't see how we're getting any sort of value out of him moving forward.
We're not getting value and we haven't got value for years because of that ridiculous contract. Thankfully some of it doesn't count towards the cap because of the ten year player allowance.

But he's most likely not going anywhere because of that deal unless another club pays 75% of his deal or he decides to go to the ESL/retire. Which isn't likely either.. So we just have to forget about his salary the same way we did Napa, Foran, Hoppa, She-Rex etc and hope that he is productive for the next two years...

In fairness to Jackson, he's been much better this season when in the middle and that's where his future lies whether starting or off the bench. He's also still our best defender in a team full of bad defensive players..

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

Lol exactly, against a shit sharks park. Let’s watch him this weekend against Parra before we decide how good he can be. My bet is, we get flogged and he plays terrible. We will see.