Religious Discussion Thread

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
What’s the big fuss?
Religions are run as businesses, they have to be run as a business to survive in these times.
The heads of every church and religious organisations are educated scholars and quite business savvy, most are anyway.
They are no different to your everyday businessman and large corporation looking to pay minimal tax , and use any legal loophole available to them to make more money.
Its not their fault the government has given them tax free privileges .
I’m not sure if whatthis new pompous Greek Archbishop has done is illegal, it may very well be.
when it comes to churches and religious organisations when big bucks are made it’s their moral shortcomings that are questioned.
The Greek Orthodox Church is a billion dollar business, just like other denominations.
IF the majority of this tax free income was spent on the true works of faith then I have no problem.

For example, a loaded Assyrian businessman bought a top of the range S class Merc for our Bishop. The bishop refused to take it. So the businessman raffles off the Merc and all proceeds went to the church and Assyrian community.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
You're not painting everyone with the same brush, yet you blast Christians with any chance you get? Whatever.
It's in our Bible my bro. We will be hated and persecuted in His name.

I take it as a badge of honour.

PS Sorry If I sound preachy, I'm no saint, not by a long shot.

LFC Bulldogs

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
IF the majority of this tax free income was spent on the true works of faith then I have no problem.

For example, a loaded Assyrian businessman bought a top of the range S class Merc for our Bishop. The bishop refused to take it. So the businessman raffles off the Merc and all proceeds went to the church and Assyrian community.
Thee are many examples of this across the board, people of faith in high places actually doing the right thing. Unfortunately these good deeds are never reported .
The Priest at the Orthodox Church in Newtown has been running soup kitchens for the poor and the homeless for years.
He is a humble man and drives around in an older model car and has literally paid to clothe and feed many who are in need.
The former priest of Kogarah on the hand had his son driving around in a Porsche.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Greek Orthodox Australians split over Archbishop in 'eye of the storm'

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Greek Orthodox Australians split over Archbishop in 'eye of the storm'
I read that. In the words of an ex parishioner -

When Bessy Persenitis read last week's ABC report that taxpayer-funded aged care homes across Australia had funnelled $31 million into the coffers of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese, she wasn't surprised.

"The lavishness of the Greek church, it goes beyond a joke sometimes," she says.

"I've been at church services where I've heard a priest remind people if they're close to their death, make sure they update their wills and donate their properties to the church."

So the priest is asking parishioners to put the church above their own families? Wow, just wow.

ouwet

Bulldogs 4 Life
Reaction score
"I've been at church services where I've heard a priest remind people if they're close to their death, make sure they update their wills and donate their properties to the church."

So the priest is asking parishioners to put the church above their own families? Wow, just wow.

My Uncle never married and is nearing 80 years of age, his will was updated to be donated to the Melkite Catholic Church, he has plenty of nephews and nieces but not one of us is crying foul about it, no one pressured him from the Church!

I don't understand your fascination with churches because it's quiet clear you are not the biggest fan! Run along.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score

When Bessy Persenitis read last week's ABC report that taxpayer-funded aged care homes across Australia had funnelled $31 million into the coffers of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese, she wasn't surprised.

"The lavishness of the Greek church, it goes beyond a joke sometimes," she says.

Again, you're painting everyone with the same brush.

As I mentioned, there are those high-up in the Church who go about this the wrong way, but that's not reason to paint everyone with the same brush. I've been going to Church my entire life and have never heard such a thing being said at any of the services I attended.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Again, you're painting everyone with the same brush.

As I mentioned, there are those high-up in the Church who go about this the wrong way, but that's not reason to paint everyone with the same brush. I've been going to Church my entire life and have never heard such a thing being said at any of the services I attended.
I asked a question, did you simply ignore the question mark at the end of my sentence? <--------- See that thing, the "?", that means I asked a question.

It's obvious no matter what I write you will accuse me of "painting everyone with the same brush" because we both know that's just a convenient way for you to ignore the content of my posts which says more about you than it does about me.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
My Uncle never married and is nearing 80 years of age, his will was updated to be donated to the Melkite Catholic Church, he has plenty of nephews and nieces but not one of us is crying foul about it, no one pressured him from the Church!

I don't understand your fascination with churches because it's quiet clear you are not the biggest fan! Run along.
No I won't run along and I'm going to continue my critiquing and criticism of churches and religions in this life and the next and the next and the next and the next, so you can like it or lump it.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
No I won't run along and I'm going to continue my critiquing and criticism of churches and religions in this life and the next and the next and the next and the next, so you can like it or lump it.
I hate to be the bearer of bad news for you, but you can continue to be a critique in this life, however the next life is our final life - and where all know you either go up or down. I don't like the look of the direction you're heading in.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hate to be the bearer of bad news for you, but you can continue to be a critique in this life, however the next life is our final life - and where all know you either go up or down. I don't like the look of the direction you're heading in.
I believe there are multiple universes and therefore multiple lives. Your beliefs have you spending eternity worshipping some entity whereas my beliefs have me spending it exploring each verse and seeing the wonders within. I know how I'd rather spend eternity.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score

Hillsong did that to one of our family members. She developed dementia and was on her way out, so Hillsong sent lawyers and got her to change her will to donate everything to the church. Fortunately we got it overturned because she had already been declared not competent.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Maybe for you. But not everyone has the same God. My God gave me 99 lives. I'm down to 53 and I haven't even finished the first level.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hillsong did that to one of our family members. She developed dementia and was on her way out, so Hillsong sent lawyers and got her to change her will to donate everything to the church. Fortunately we got it overturned because she had already been declared not competent.
Wow man, I'm glad your family got it changed in time as you would never get these parasites to give your relatives money back had they got their greedy hands on it. Goes to show how low lawyers representing these so called pillars of the community will go for their clients. Did you submit a complaint to the Bar Association of NSW?

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Wow man, I'm glad your family got it changed in time as you would never get these parasites to give your relatives money back had they got their greedy hands on it. Goes to show how low lawyers representing these so called pillars of the community will go for their clients. Did you submit a complaint to the Bar Association of NSW?
Yep. It was difficult because many family members are still members of Hillsong, and they wanted to drop it. But we weren't going to let it slide.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep. It was difficult because many family members are still members of Hillsong, and they wanted to drop it. But we weren't going to let it slide.
I don't mean to pry, but did it surprise you these family members wanted Hillsong to benefit form this? I also have family members so indoctrinated they willing turn a blind eyes and as you can imagine, our get togethers are tense. :grinning:

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
That's fucked up. Their growing influence is really becoming concerning