Daily Telegraph/Rothfield Toby Rudolph

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
NRL 2021: Toby Rudolf contract, Canterbury Bulldogs target Cronulla Sharks star
The cashed-up Bulldogs are making a big play to lure one of Cronulla’s best forwards to Belmore next season.

Welcome to NRL coaching, Fitzy.

Incoming Sharks coach Craig Fitzgibbon has been confronted with his second migraine in two days after a cashed-up Canterbury target Cronulla’s star forward Tony Rudolf.

It comes after revelations halfback Chad Townsend is set to quit the Sharks for a rich three-year deal at North Queensland worth a cool $2m.

Rudolf, 25, off-contract at Cronulla after this season, has logged some amazing statistics in 2021, including running for an average of 125 metres a game and completing 31 tackles each round. He is playing an average of 69 minutes every match.

Canterbury is desperately chasing a middle forward and have identified Rudolf as a player that could fill a concerning void.

Toby Rudolf has been linked with the Bulldogs. Picture: Shane Myers/NRL Photos

Toby Rudolf has been linked with the Bulldogs. Picture: Shane Myers/NRL Photos

Rudolf’s manager Sam Ayoub did not want to comment on Canterbury’s approach other than to say: “We have had an inquiry about his availability”.
It is understood Cronulla is aware of Canterbury’s interest.

The Sharks have also expressed a strong desire to retain Rudolf, labelling him a “priority”.

While he is focused on the Roosters this year, Fitzgibbon is known to be a huge fan of Rudolf. Sharks management is expected to meet with Rudolf shortly.

Canterbury has not lodged a formal offer for Rudolf or stepped up discussions just yet. Storm hooker Brandon Smith is another on the Bulldogs hit list.

The Bulldogs will have a roster cleanout after this season, freeing up some big money for the club to be heavily active on the player market.

Rudolf is one of 15 players coming off-contract at Cronulla after this season. Others include Matt Moylan, Shaun Johnson, Josh Dugan, Aaron Woods, William Kennedy and Connor Tracey.

Last year the New Zealand Warriors made an unsuccessful bid for Rudolf, who signed a one-year extension at Cronulla in September.

Toby Rudolf has been impressive for the Sharks this season. Picture: Mark Kolbe/Getty Images

Toby Rudolf has been impressive for the Sharks this season. Picture: Mark Kolbe/Getty Images

With Townsend seemingly on his way out, there is continuing speculation that South Sydney halfback Adam Reynolds may end up at Cronulla.

But Reynolds’ manager, Steve Gillis, insists neither he nor Reynolds have had any contact with Fitzgibbon. While not wanting to comment publicly, Gold Coast and Wests Tigers have ruled out chasing Reynolds.

“We will continue to work through the process. Adam is in no hurry,” Gillis said.

“He is playing extremely well and is contributing on a weekly basis on and off the field. His focus is playing well for Souths each week – the rest will sort itself out.”

Rudolf is a Souths junior who played for North Sydney before shifting to Queensland to represent the Redcliffe Dolphins.

Last edited by a moderator:

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Exactly the sort of middle forward we need.
Needs to improve in defence but is the big body middle forward who can bend the line.
He's the best available that's off contract, but I wouldn't say he's exactly what we need. He will get better though and I'm happy for him to partner Thompson in the frontrow as long as we don't go crazy with future offers. This has been ongoing for a while so I guess it has hit mainstream media now with his management looking to apply public pressure on the clubs involved.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
At least he brings aggression and impact with his runs and defence and has skills as well. He makes huge metres, bends the line and gets offloads away..

Sure he misses tackles, but I can live with that if it's trying to put shots on that slow momentum and someone else quickly wraps them up.. Kind of like Wade Graham when he jams in but gets credited with missed tackles. Those are the missed tackles you don't mind..

It's good to see we're linked with the right calibre of players and hopefully we can get a few of them signed up..

Malla

Reaction score
He better fix his defence then as we can't handle his misses in the middle third given how bad we already are. Toby has missed 27 tackles in 6 games for an efficiency of 88% not good enough imo.

To put this into perspective Napa and Ogden have better defensive efficiencies, yes they play less minutes... But to me that's still alarming.
Ok but Rudolph has made 200 tackles in 6 games - average of 33 per game, along with average 130 metres per game

Ogden and Napa COMBINED have made a TOTAL of 243 tackles with average of 40 per game and average gain of 154 metres lol what a joke

Fuck off with your efficiency.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
It is worrying that his amazing statistics are 125m and 31 tackles.....

So what’s that up on? I’d say amazing would be 190m and 37 tackles. But I guess daily telegraph are easily pleased.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

So what’s that up on? I’d say amazing would be 190m and 37 tackles. But I guess daily telegraph are easily pleased.
I wouldn't read too much into Rudolph's stats. You watch him play and he makes a massive impact.

Cronulla have so many solid forwards that make good metres as well as Brailey and their outside backs that play up tempo that make a lot of line breaks and metres etc that Rudolph and others aren't required to make 170-200 metres a game..

Looking at Hamlin-Uele's stats you'd be underwhelmed too but he's a really good prop who has a huge impact too. Same as Talakai etc..

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Ok but Rudolph has made 200 tackles in 6 games - average of 33 per game, along with average 130 metres per game

Ogden and Napa COMBINED have made a TOTAL of 243 tackles with average of 40 per game and average gain of 154 metres lol what a joke

I'm sorry but that's how it is... Yes we need middle forwards and agree Rudolf is better than anyone we have bar Thompson... But spin it all you want he's a dud defender.

The__GM

Kennel Established
Reaction score

I'd be totally fine with paying Rudolph 75% of whatever Napas supposed $650-$800k salary to provide us with double the value. Let alone shedding whatever Ogden is on as well.

ddt192

The Blue N White Butcher Stripe
Reaction score
I reckon when all is said and done you're probably right. They probably have more cap space than us and if they can shed Fifita they'll have even more..
I agree. Can’t see him leaving especially with all the funds freed up. They probably told him when he signed the 1 year extension that next year they’ll upgrade him if he stays consistent.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I wouldn't read too much into Rudolph's stats. You watch him play and he makes a massive impact.

Cronulla have so many solid forwards that make good metres as well as Brailey and their outside backs that play up tempo that make a lot of line breaks and metres etc that Rudolph and others aren't required to make 170-200 metres a game..

Looking at Hamlin-Uele's stats you'd be underwhelmed too but he's a really good prop who has a huge impact too. Same as Talakai etc..
Yeh I agree. It’s more about quick leg speed and a quick play the ball for props. If the defence has time to set their line then they could be making 200m a game but it’s not impactful.

Defiant upgrade on anything at our club for sure. So fingers crossed we pull it off.

Malla

Reaction score

Yeah they are far from amazing but compared to our forward pack they are amazing lol

Napa averages 70m a game... fuck.me.dead

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Wouldn't say he's a dud defender.

Waddell is a dud defender.
Agree he's still over 90% I believe... However realistically it should be lower for non attempts that lead to linebreaks that for some reason aren't attributed. Be interesting to see how he goes this week, he's our new Clay Priest.