Barrett's selections. Never thought I'd see DWZ play fullback again

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He is lol..!!
I juat understant everyones insistance the this player needs to play here or there. Barrett knows a whole lot more about rugby league then anyone here on the kennel does ffs!!! He is clearly just tweaking things to try and make them click. The whole top 30 bullshit doesnt make it easy to chose who you want. Each club should be able to pick whoever they want from ther fg and reserve grade sides.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
People need to understand that Barrett didn't sign Cotric. Cotric isn't a centre and never will be. So Barrett has done the right thing by playing Cotric on the wing where he played for NSW in Origin..

Addo-Carr and Cotric on the wings next season will be amazing in terms of finishing and big plays..

Allan does look like a wasted signing. If he doesn't pan out in tbe centres considering he had other suitors and made Origin, I'm sure another club will take a chance on him (Tigers, Cronulla etc) without having to pay much freight as he's not on a massive deal.

Waddell is very average and it's frustrating to see him get 80 minutes a week when he's been out of form. Hopefully Topine can start on an edge soon once he has a few more games under his belt..

After Round 11, guys like Schoupp and Deitz will likely come into the 17 as we get more flexibility around the top 30.
Totally agree and I thought allan looked good at centre last week

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
People need to understand that Barrett didn't sign Cotric. Cotric isn't a centre and never will be. So Barrett has done the right thing by playing Cotric on the wing where he played for NSW in Origin..

Addo-Carr and Cotric on the wings next season will be amazing in terms of finishing and big plays..

Allan does look like a wasted signing. If he doesn't pan out in tbe centres considering he had other suitors and made Origin, I'm sure another club will take a chance on him (Tigers, Cronulla etc) without having to pay much freight as he's not on a massive deal.

Waddell is very average and it's frustrating to see him get 80 minutes a week when he's been out of form. Hopefully Topine can start on an edge soon once he has a few more games under his belt..

After Round 11, guys like Schoupp and Deitz will likely come into the 17 as we get more flexibility around the top 30.
We need continuity in positions, but we can’t yet, not enough quality on the books.

So far for 2022:
Cotric/JAC as wings
Hetho/Thommo as FRF
Flanno/Burton as halves (Flanno needs to step up above what he’s ordering so far)

But I’m not sure if anyone else is solid. Elliott will probably bed down one side (but I just don’t rate him personally). Ray seems injury prone and this latest injury is a bad one apparently. Jacko can be a lock, but apart from tackle isn’t offering much else.

Centres, DH, 2RW, FB are pretty fluid still.

If Baz mixed things up this year with a view to settle on permanent positions next year, all good.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Allan looked good at fullback last year and good at centre last week. It’s way too early to write him off as a bad signing. He has more than enough potential to fill one of those two positions. I don’t really get why Barrett has given up on him at fullback so quickly. That’s where you signed him to play, so give him a decent go there. I can understand Meaney getting a go back there, but DWZ? Come on! The thing that worries me most about Barrett is how quickly he gives up on certain plans.

Last edited:

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
We need continuity in positions, but we can’t yet, not enough quality on the books.

So far for 2022:
Cotric/JAC as wings
Hetho/Thommo as FRF
Flanno/Burton as halves (Flanno needs to step up above what he’s ordering so far)

But I’m not sure if anyone else is solid. Elliott will probably bed down one side (but I just don’t rate him personally). Ray seems injury prone and this latest injury is a bad one apparently. Jacko can be a lock, but apart from tackle isn’t offering much else.

If Baz mixed things up this year with a view to settle on permanent positions next year, all good.
I agree with all of that. I'm not a fan of Elliott either. If we sign Capewell for 500k, then Elliott could be a good bench forward who can play middle and edge. RFM can't be relied upon with injuries. Next year is make or break for Flanno as he's off contract after that. Burton being there and controlling everything will give him no excuses.

Hopefully Topine is starting on another edge next season. Hopefully we upgrade at prop so Hetherington is off the bench. Getting two of Hamlin-Uele, Sutton, Rudolph, Afoa and Guler would be amazing..

And of course, if we sign Clark, Kenny, Starling or Simpkin then we finally have a starting quality hooker that can threaten the defence!

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Allan looked good at fullback last year and good at centre last week. It’s way too early to write him off as a bad signing. He has more than enough potential to film one of those two positions. I don’t really get why Barrett has given up on him at fullback so quickly. That’s where you signed him up post, so give him a decent to there. I can understand Meaney getting a go back there, but DWZ? Come on! The thing that worries me most about Barrett is how quickly he gives up on certain plans.
Allan was so slow and lethargic at fullback defensively and wasn't contesting bombs. So I totally understand why he moved him. You can't have a liability like that at the back and Baz probably wanted more pace to keep defences honest..

Hopefully he plays well in the centres and finds a home there.

dekepefc

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

So far for 2022:
Cotric/JAC as wings
Hetho/Thommo as FRF

Would be great if topine developed into the 13 and we were able to move Jackson on and use his money elsewhere.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Anyone have an explanation as to why Allan did so well at FB for Souffs last season, to the point many reckoned he did better in that position last year than Mitchell?
My thinking would be that he had far less responsibility with Reynolds, Cook and Walker running the show which made him look better and allowed for more space and he also had speed and skill players outside him like Johnstone, Gagai, Campbell etc which created more space and time than he has with us.

With us he has to create things more himself which exposes his limitations more.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Would be great if topine developed into the 13 and we were able to move Jackson on and use his money elsewhere.
Jackson is on a pretty hefty deal and gets the long serving player allowance so I don't think he's going anywhere. He has two more years after this one.. At least Jackson looks better at lock.

dekepefc

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jackson is on a pretty hefty deal and gets the long serving player allowance so I don't think he's going anywhere. He has two more years after this one.. At least Jackson looks better at lock.
Yeah I agree with that. I was at the Broncos game and watched Jackson carefully and despite people bagging him, he was involved in almost everything (not that we offered much). He would be an asset as the workhorse within a talented pack, unfortunately that's just not us. It's only because of his salary that I wouldn't mind if we moved him on. Topine also reminded me of Cameron Murray.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Allan was so slow and lethargic at fullback defensively and wasn't contesting bombs. So I totally understand why he moved him. You can't have a liability like that at the back and Baz probably wanted more pace to keep defences honest..

Hopefully he plays well in the centres and finds a home there.
....and DWZ has been so reliable at the back in the past? While he didn’t set the world on fire in attack in the opening rounds, Allan looked pretty safe at the back up until round three..... and if Barrett wanted more pace at the back, why did he sign Allan to play there?

I just don’t see the value in signing a bloke as a supposed long term solution in a position and then shifting him away from that position after 2 quiet games and one bad one. I’m trying to be patient with baz and give him time.... but I’m not a fan of that sort of chopping and changing. To me it says to the players that the coach isn’t really sure of what his plan is.

I can kind of understand him giving Meaney a go back there, because he is a natural fullback and has been very good this year.... but DWZ? He was shocking there last year and just looked to be finding form in his best position.

I still hope Trent might do a good job for us, but I really don’t get this approach.

Last edited:

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
....and DWZ has been so reliable at the back in the past? While he didn’t set the world on fire in attack in the opening rounds, Allan looked pretty safe at the back up until round three..... and if Barrett wanted more pace at the back, why did he sign Allan to play there?

I just don’t see the value in signing a bloke as a supposed long term solution in a position and then shifting him away from that position after 2 quiet games and one bad one. I’m trying to be patient with baz and give him time.... but I’m not a fan of that sort of chopping and changing. To me it says to the players that the coach isn’t really sure of what his plan is.

I can kind of understand him giving Meaney a go back there, because he is a natural fullback and has been very good this year.... but DWZ? He was shocking there last year and just looked to be finding form in his best position.

I still hope Trent might do a good job for us, but I really don’t get this approach.
It scares the hell out of me having him back there as his hands and confidence have turned to shit. DWZ was great at fullback for half a season when we first signed him but since then he's fallen apart. At the same time, there is no perfect option currently and they all have their flaws. Allan had his chance and looked pretty bad in attack and defence.

The only logic I can see is that DWZ regularly makes 150m-200m on kick returns, is more explosive and gets us off to better starts to sets (when he holds the ball) and is the best support player out of him, Meaney and Allan.

We're 0-4 and haven't scored for 3 weeks so you can't blame Barrett for mixing things up and seeing what combos work in his first season working with these players.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
ill try and justify his selection, not being privy to any inside info:

Allan was really poor in the first 2 games and didn't get involved at all. he also was a bit wobbly under the high ball, looked slightly better at centre but still very underwhelming.

Hoppa has been atrocious at centre, so why reward such trash with the honor of playing fullback ? i also suspect hoppa is still playing centre because we literally have no more options there at least till round 11 (hopefully Schoup comes in)

As unpopular as DWZ is as a Fullback option, i can at least say he will give it his best... before he was sent off in the Penrith game he was the hardest charging back and probably had his best game for us in a long time. His handling is still a massive concern though..

Hopefully Barrett is trying to build his so called "Pillars", hence the selection??

i have no idea, just making an assumption here

Dogna88

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
If DWZ can catch a fuken ball. I'm happy for him to get another chance at FB.

We need a strong running fb who will back up through the middle and provide an option for pur play making 6 and 7. Ideally lol

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
DWZ essential at the back we defend better and he is most experienced organiser,expecting a huge game from him

Reactions: GDR

BulldogsNRL

Kennel Established
Reaction score
i think it makes sense dwz plays fullback as he can't play centre for crap and cause meaneys out and hoppa in the centres we have no choice if we have had enough of allan at fullback for now

Aristidiz

Bullwog
Reaction score
Atleast he’s trying things week to week. Allan has flopped at fullback but I doubt he was brought over to play that position exclusively. Centre/Wing for sure. Cotric was just fucking terrible at centre. Just trash. Ok good with ball in hand but defensively geez - what a terrible call. It’s time we just recruited players in their position and took our time rebuilding. It took souths more than 10 years to do it.

Unfortunately all of Pay’s tenure was a complete waste of time. He should have sat down and put red marks through all the players coming off contract this year. Instead, he tried to win games with no resources and sneak us into the 8. Not his fault, that’s the vibe/culture of the joint. Miracles don’t happen anymore. The game is far too technical. You will never see premiers like the Tigers in 2005.
Cotric was trash in attack and defence against South Sydney. Killed the attacking play every time he touched the ball, on the wing he doesn't have to make the types of decisions he needs to at centre, so he should have a good game.

I'm not even sure Barrett knows what Allan's best position is, it's almost like it's trial and error at the moment. Hopefully he has a good game at centre, as we desperately need something from there.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
It scares the hell out of me having him back there as his hands and confidence have turned to shit. DWZ was great at fullback for half a season when we first signed him but since then he's fallen apart. At the same time, there is no perfect option currently and they all have their flaws. Allan had his chance and looked pretty bad in attack and defence.

The only logic I can see is that DWZ regularly makes 150m-200m on kick returns, is more explosive and gets us off to better starts to sets (when he holds the ball) and is the best support player out of him, Meaney and Allan.

We're 0-4 and haven't scored for 3 weeks so you can't blame Barrett for mixing things up and seeing what combos work in his first season working with these players.
Yeah I can, mate. You have a right to your opinion, but I have a very different one on this issue.

Don't get me wrong, I am far from writing Barrett off at this stage and hope he will succeed here, but some changes he makes seem to be a knee jerk reaction and frustrate the hell out of me. He signed Allan as a long term fullback. What do you think it does to a player's confidence signing him to play a position and then shifting him after three games? He looked pretty damn solid under the high ball in the first two games in abysmal conditions. The only game in which he looked shaky was the Brisbane game.....even the very best fullbacks have bad games....If Barrett wanted explosive kick returns in the position, he needn't have signed Allan and played him there in the first place. He knew what type of player Allan was and what he could offer the team before signing him. As far as DWZ being a better support player, I'm not sure of that at all. Allan showed he was more than capable of backing up a break last year. As far as his attack goes, the whole team has been struggling to click in attack, so singling Allan out seems to be a case of scapegoating to me.

Sure, DWZ did well at fullback when he first arrived here....but for the majority of the time he has played in the position for us, he has been poor....and was VERY dicey under the high ball. On the other hand, Allan was one of the form fullbacks in the comp as recently as the second half of last year. Allan may not recapture that form....maybe he just benefitted from being part of a great backline.....but from my memory he initiated many a movement himself last year. I am a firm believer that if you make a key signing as a coach, you should show a willingness to stick to your plan by giving them a decent opportunity to prove themselves. Allan was given a grand total of three games at the back, two of them in abysmal conditions....and it was only one of those games in which he had shocker. At least he is playing centre now....he could end up doing very well there....moving him to the wing was ludicrous. He can showcase literally none of his best attributes from the wing.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
If DWZ can catch a fuken ball. I'm happy for him to get another chance at FB.

We need a strong running fb who will back up through the middle and provide an option for pur play making 6 and 7. Ideally lol
What play making 6 and 7? Lol