Martin Taupau

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I never wanted him to leave. I remember in one if his few chances at the bulldogs in first grade, he did his knee but wanted to stay on. He took the next hit up anyway and ran strongly. After he played the ball he couldn't walk. I've spoken to him a few times and he has always wanted to stay at the dogs. He will be a strong leader if he pulls on the jersey again

and I still remember that hit up... size, aggression, the speed to run down an in his prime Dane Gagai etc... we let so much quality just walk out the door with Taupau, Finucane, Ennis, Cook etc.

ddt192

The Blue N White Butcher Stripe
Reaction score
Canterbury better be all over that shit!!!! Surely he’ll come home!? Anyone know what his relationship with Baz is like?

TalDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sea eagles have told him to look elsewhere , would love to have him back! Desk has shafted him again

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Canterbury better be all over that shit!!!! Surely he’ll come home!? Anyone know what his relationship with Baz is like?
Pretty good I think. Taupau played his best footy under Baz.

TalDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sports Confidential: Martin Taupau set to exit Manly as Sea Eagles target Origin enforcer

Manly monster Martin Taupau could be on the move as the Sea Eagles launch a bid to sign a Queensland Origin back-rower as part of a major overhaul of their roster.
Michael Carayannis
and
Jamie Pandaram
10 min read
March 25, 2021 - 7:24PM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom

Marty Taupau could be on the move after being told his contract is unlikely to be renewed after next season.

Taupau, 31, has another year left on a monster Sea Eagles contract – worth about $800,000 – but the Sea Eagles would not stand in his way if he wanted to switch to a rival at the end of this year.

It comes as the Sea Eagles launch a bid to sign Queensland back-rower Jaydn Su’a.

Su’a is off-contract at season’s end and negotiations with the Rabbitohs are in their infancy.

Taupau’s departure could also open the door for Manly to make a rich play for Parramatta lock Nathan Brown, whose contract talks with the Eels have stalled.

The Sea Eagles are in the midst of a major roster revamp.

With Taupau’s immediate playing future at the club now uncertain there are a host of players in a similar situation. Curtis Sironen, Jorge Taufua, Tevita Funa, Reuben Garrick, Dylan Walker, Kieran Foran and Morgan Boyle are all off-contract and are facing an uphill battle to remain at the club.

Su’a, at 23, would be a perfect addition to the Sea Eagles forward pack after they locked away key youngsters including Sean Keppie, Haumole Olakau’ata, Taniela Paseka and Josh Schuster to long-term deals.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He would love Baz.. who do you think gave him the 800k a year contract.. :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:
Des re-signed Marty in 2019 after Baz left, so we can't blame Baz for that deal. It's just more shocking Hasler cap management.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Signing experienced players is not a problem, Roosters do it all the time it's just about getting the right price and making sure they are fit for their age and not busted like Fifita or Dugan.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Des re-signed Marty in 2019 after Baz left, so we can't blame Baz for that deal. It's just more shocking Hasler cap management.
Whoops my bad.. you 100% correct.. I should of known that any contract negligence should be directly related to hasler...

Barrett brought him over to manly from tigers right?

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Whoops my bad.. you 100% correct.. I should of known that any contract negligence should be directly related to hasler...

Barrett brought him over to manly from tigers right?
I think he did. Either way I'm sure Marty would be interested in coming back home to play under Baz again and join an exciting team for next season. It was only a few months ago Taupau spoke glowingly of the club so you know he still loves the place.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Wow 800k fmd lol well whilst i've reconsidered my age bias we don't want to be paying a huge amount of that figure that's for sure.

Doggiezbrah

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
He would be a brilliant option with Thompson up front. We desperately need the experience as Atoni, Ogden and Hethrington are bench players only. If he is on the reported 800k, we should offer to pay Manly 500K and they can subside the rest. It’s a win for both clubs.