‘I feel sorry for Jake Averillo’: Cleary supports Dogs half as Burton battle rages

Oldpanther

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Let me see if I have this correct, NCleary is sorry for Averillo who played in the 17 last week, got a full NRL game of experience surrounded by experienced NRL level players, coached by the full NRL coaching team, looked after by the full NRL physio and rehab staff. But he doesn't feel sorry for Burton, who wasn't in the 17, didn't get a full game of NRL experience and was surrounded by reserve graders.

Hypocrit.

Go Dogs
I think it's more that he's your 6 this year and even his halves partner mentioned wanting Burton. If Burton's welfare is an issue so is Averillo's in this.

Caveman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why feel sorry, he has his shot to make the jumper his own, grab the opportunity with 2 hands, or go and sit i- the corner and cry.

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Him and Luai are working with Burton at training so at least from the players perspective they are helping Burto.
N. Cleary is simply taking a shot at the 'Dogs in the lead up to this week's clash and he is targeting an opposing young half by insinuating his club has no faith in him... but yeah, beat up on the confidence of a virtual rookie... classy

kmr07

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it's more that he's your 6 this year and even his halves partner mentioned wanting Burton. If Burton's welfare is an issue so is Averillo's in this.
No one is entitled to a starting spot (unless of course your daddy is the coach). If Averillo wants the 5/8 spot he has to earn it. Regardless Burton is signed for next year so Averillo’s welfare has nothing to do with this. Yes keep telling yourself that Cleary cares for Averillo. If the Cleary’s cared about anyone other than themselves then maybe Ivan wouldn’t have walked out on the tigers mid contract

Oldpanther

Kennel Established
Reaction score
N. Cleary is simply taking a shot at the 'Dogs in the lead up to this week's clash and he is targeting an opposing young half by insinuating his club has no faith in him... but yeah, beat up on the confidence of a virtual rookie... classy
It's more the media poking for a story. There's no avoiding Averillo is effected by the Burton thing. First he'll play the year in a position he can't keep and second has to watch his own club and team mates doubt him while he is there. Of course the club should be fighting for Burton as it's in their best interests.

No one is entitled to a starting spot (unless of course your daddy is the coach). If Averillo wants the 5/8 spot he has to earn it. Regardless Burton is signed for next year so Averillo’s welfare has nothing to do with this. Yes keep telling yourself that Cleary cares for Averillo. If the Cleary’s cared about anyone other than themselves then maybe Ivan wouldn’t have walked out on the tigers mid contract
Ivan and Nathan are two different people. Nathan the halfback would surely empathise with a young bloke having so much doubt over his career. At least Burton has certainty. Unless anyone thinks there's a genuine competition between the two for the dogs 6 but I can't see it.

Bulldog Wrestler

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Nathan Cleary is an overly smug, insufferable individual. He and Ivan are much the same in that regard. Because of them specifically, I have gone from being ambivalent about Penrith, to them being high on my list of disliked clubs. I was glad to see Melbourne knock them off last year, and Melbourne aren't exactly on my favourite's list either. In the olden days, some grizzled old player would have planted one on that mutant chin by now.

Last edited:

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's more the media poking for a story. There's no avoiding Averillo is effected by the Burton thing. First he'll play the year in a position he can't keep and second has to watch his own club and team mates doubt him while he is there. Of course the club should be fighting for Burton as it's in their best interests.
any established or budding young half at the 'Dogs in 2020 would have seen the writing on the wall when incoming coach Barrett signed Flanagan at halfback in 2021 and Burton at five-eighth for 2022... and had we not got Flanagan for 2021, the alternative option was Blake Green for 12 months... that means Lachlan Lewis, Brandon Wakeham, Jack Cogger and Jake Averillo

and Averillo has only played a handful of FG games in 3 different positions in a struggling club... I think it is a sh*tty thing to do to a young player yet to establish himself in FG... and it's all done as a negotiation tactic

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Penrith superstar Nathan Cleary says he feels sorry for Canterbury playmaker Jake Averillo who has constantly had to put up with his own club’s hot and very public pursuit of rival No. 6 Matt Burton.

Burton will finally get to play as the Canterbury five-eighth this week, albeit during an opposed field session to help the Panthers prepare for Saturday afternoon’s western Sydney grudge match.

The Dogs have hardly been subtle in letting it be known they want 20-year-old Burton to ditch playing reserve grade at Penrith for the chance to be their starting five-eighth immediately.

The Panthers need Burton as cover and are refusing to budge. Cleary said he could only imagine what kind of impact all the talk about Burton has had on the Dogs’ young local junior Averillo.

“The way Matty Burton has gone about things, he’s a class act, he’s been the best trainer all pre-season, he’s never kicked stones, he’s come in with a good attitude every day,” Cleary said on Tuesday. “[The early release] is constantly brought up.

“Averillo is a good player himself, he’s playing five-eighth for the Bulldogs, and he’s been a bit hard done by.

“I do feel a bit sorry for him. He’s a really good player. We’ll have to be on our A-game defending him. It’s a situation I’m happy I’m not in.”

Averillo is respected by Canterbury but is also a player who is young and can shift to fullback or even centre to accommodate Burton. When Averillo signed his latest extension until the end of 2023, he did so knowing Canterbury were advanced in their talks with Burton to play in the same five-eighth position.

Canterbury coach – and former Panthers assistant – Trent Barrett thinks highly of Burton, and admires his size and kicking game.

Halfback Kyle Flanagan did his bit for the Dogs’ latest sales pitch when he told the Herald over the weekend: “He’s a good kid and wants to play first grade. I remember when I was sitting in reserve grade and all you want to do is play first grade. It’s hard when you sit on the lounge on a Saturday and you watch your teammates go and play first grade. Let him come.”

To help the Panthers prepare for their Saturday afternoon clash against the Dogs, Burton will act as Averillo during Thursday’s main hit-out.

“Kurt Falls has come in as the halfback, he’ll pose as ‘Flanno’ [Flanagan] and ‘Burto’ will run as Averillo,” Cleary said.

While Burton remains a sore point between the two clubs – Penrith have lost count of the number of times they have told Canterbury to look elsewhere – there is only love for Barrett.

‘I’ll drive him over myself’: Flanagan leads push to get Burton to Belmore early
There is no bad blood between Barrett and Panthers counterpart Ivan Cleary, and especially no hostility with the players. Barrett was warmly greeted by senior Panthers when he bumped into them at a trial game at St Mary’s last month.

“Baz was really good for me, he gave me a lot of confidence and helped develop my game,” Cleary said.

Penrith co-captain Isaah Yeo added: “He instilled a lot of confidence in me when moving from the back row to lock, and he helped me with passing and being in that middle role there.

“Outside of football he’s a really good bloke as well, he has a lot of stories, he’s easy to talk to and if you ever need to talk he was happy to answer your call.

“As players, it’s no grudge match for us. Everyone respects ‘Baz’ and had a good relationship with him.”

Penrith will enter the clash riding high having won 24-0 against the Cowboys, while the Dogs lost their opening-round game against the Knights.
Translation - I am not the ar$ehole here the Bulldogs are. Not my fault

OIP.jpeg

kmr07

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Ivan and Nathan are two different people. Nathan the halfback would surely empathise with a young bloke having so much doubt over his career. At least Burton has certainty. Unless anyone thinks there's a genuine competition between the two for the dogs 6 but I can't see it.
Normally I enjoy your posts. But your bias is starting to get annoying. Facts are:

1. Ivan is a hypocrite
2. Nathan is a great player but is yet to take the next step and deliver in the big games (grand final?)
3. If Nathan really cared about players welfare, why isn’t he kicking up a stink about someone like Tyrone May who is unable to land a starting spot? I’m sure May sees himself as a starting player. Answer is, it’s a professional sport and the best man for the job wins (same with Burton / Averillo). Another example, why did panthers sign Momorovski when they had Crichton/Naden/Whare available? Again, it’s a professional sport and the best man wins out

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
This saga is incredibly boring, so over it. Club is responsible for this though, no doubt they were tipping off the media last week when they rocked up to watch Burton play reserve grade.
Let’s be honest it’s NOT boring lol

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Why? Avo is in first grade
Burton is not

Oldpanther

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Sick of your hearing your continual bullshit about how Cleary and Luai are helping Burto ...give it a rest mate
Maybe chat to whoever posted an article about Nathan. I'm just commenting on the topic. It's also a fact that should make you happy, both were top 5 halves last year. I get the hate on Ivan and the board that makes sense but the players don't have a choice whether or not he's released.

craigo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another burton article. Why not hey there isn’t enough already

Ribo Flavin

Kennel Established
Reaction score
theres only one way to react to this quote..play your best on the field.