News Matt Burton wants out

Oldpanther

Kennel Established
Reaction score
They give Cleary a serve alright.

Good analogy. Cleary Snr gets out of his contract and leaves Tiges high and dry and so true...if it was his son behind 3 to 4 other halves ahead of him, would he treat him like he is treating Burton. No I dont think so. Plus they've let 6? players go already AND in positions in the forwards where they are skinny.

I was on the fence prior. There's a contract to be honoured and all that ...but now? no Cleary/Pennies...do the right thing by the young bloke.

They are coming off as a poor club in player welfare with Ivan eg Burton, Tamou, Mansour.

A shame. It costs clubs in so many other areas (as our club found out).
This is what happens when low footy I.Q people get a big platform(Hooper)

1. Cleary came to terms with Tigers presumably with Tigers setting the terms.

2. Burton is our direct halfback replacement he's not behind May, Salmon etc.

3. This point overlaps with point 2. None of the players we released are as integral as Burton.

4. Hilarious Hetherington buys the club no good will at all since it's not what the dogs need the most although I'd say a prop is something needed looking at that pack.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Old panther, your having a laugh. Hetho wasn’t you doing us a favour. You had him on a reported 400k. Terrible contract at that stage. Needed money. Offload him to get to keep and upgrade the ones you didn’t. E.g dare say Leinu goes if he’s kept there at 400k.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

3. This point overlaps with point 2. None of the players we released are as integral as Burton.

4. Hilarious Hetherington buys the club no good will at all since it's not what the dogs need the most although I'd say a prop is something needed looking at that pack.
You are a flog

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score

Cleary made his position at the Tigers untenable. Agreeing to go back to the Panthers for 2019, when a coach is heavily involved with recruitment (isn't just year to year). The Tigers players are also ultimately not going to play for him (especially when it's drip feeding through the media). I don't think anything more needs to be said on this.

Burton is the best back up half in the game so unless the Panthers are getting a favourable trade there is nothing in it for them, I get it and I'd want our club to do the same. This isn't how it has worked in the NRL for a long time tho (which Laundy mentioned in his interview). 9/10 times a player in this situation breaks contract (Burton is a really good guy for not kicking stones at training). If you remove both clubs from the equation, it's in Burton's best interests to leave the Panthers for game time and ~x4 the amount of money (reported to be on 450k, I do see Panthers fans trying to up this to suit their agenda, Tigers fans did the same with JAC). Greg Alexander mentioned that Burton is the only other player at the club that can do a job at halfback (Cleary is going to be gone for origin, but it's for ~3 games, probably less due to backing up, so just in case there's an injury).

Hetherington was on too much in the salary cap to play limited minutes off the bench, and possibly not in the 17 all together. We (and any club taking him off your hands, there would of been other clubs) have done you a favour. Letting Hetherington go has helped the Panthers retain players.

The Panthers are trying to have it both ways, pushing players out (not just this season, but also last season), but also holding players hostage (Burton).

Last edited:

Oldpanther

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Old panther, your having a laugh. Hetho wasn’t you doing us a favour. You had him on a reported 400k. Terrible contract at that stage. Needed money. Offload him to get to keep and upgrade the ones you didn’t. E.g dare say Leinu goes if he’s kept there at 400k.
At worst we both gain from Hetherington going there. Reading here it's clear you need forwards more than us. More importantly it shows we can work with you on the admin level.

You are a flog
I get it coming from the dogs fans. There's no hard feelings from me to you.

Cleary made his position at the Tigers untenable. Agreeing to go back to the Panthers for 2019, when a coach is heavily involved with recruitment (isn't just year to year). The Tigers players are also ultimately not going to play for him (especially when it's drip feeding through the media). I don't think anything more needs to be said on this.

Burton is the best back up half in the game so unless the Panthers are getting a favourable trade there is nothing in it for them, I get it and I'd want our club to do the same. This isn't how it has worked in the NRL for a long time tho (which Laundy mentioned in his interview). 9/10 times a player in this situation breaks contract (Burton is a really good guy for not kicking stones at training). If you remove both clubs from the equation, it's in Burton's best interests to leave the Panthers for game time and ~x4 the amount of money (reported to be on 450k, I do see Panthers fans trying to up this to suit their agenda, Tigers fans did the same with JAC). Greg Alexander mentioned that Burton is the only other player at the club that can do a job at halfback (Cleary is going to be gone for origin, but it's for ~3 games, probably less due to backing up, so just in case there's an injury).

Hetherington was on too much in the salary cap to play limited minutes off the bench, and possibly not in the 17 all together. We (and any club taking him off your hands, there would of been other clubs) have done you a favour. Letting Hetherington go has helped the Panthers retain players.

The Panthers are trying to have it both ways, pushing players out (not just this season, but also last season), but also holding players hostage (Burton).
Yes the Ivan situation was a mess and there's a lot he deserves negative attention for. Simply ending a deal early though doesn't make this situation comparable. You still need to come to terms that suit both parties and that situation certainly had more incentive for tigers to move Ivan on than Panthers do for Burton. In saying that I am a little annoyed we didn't accept one of the forwards it was rumoured the dogs offered but can't find how reliable that info is.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score

Oldpanther I said:

1. Cleary left Tigers high and dry. It was a pretty low act really. Was gossiped about and front page news for weeks destabalising the Tigers. Ivan told them he wouldn't do that to them...then did.

2. Debatable if Ivan will put Burton in at halfback 7.

3. You are in critical need of strengthening your depth at frontrow, yet let 3 go, so team dynamics management is not exactly first class from Ivan.

4. Debatable. Cleary shipped him off to Warriors and then told him so long, find another club. I am not aware that Pennies told him to go to Bulldogs. Sorry cant give you guys any kudos for that unless Cleary confirms he organised it :grinning:

You're a good bloke and I enjoy your blog. Appreciate you are defending your team, just as we do, but got to tell it like it looks from the outside looking in, judging Cleary and therefore Panthers.

Your CEO? said it may probably happen if you get a good deal. After that point your club lost all credibility about putting Matt Burton's interests first for his future playing career, financial interests, representative career and general well being with his Rugby league career.

Then the fallout started and has come down heavily on Ivan Cleary and Panthers under the current Admin.

I genuinely feel it is a shame that these issues blow up and no one wins in the end. An reasonable negotiated settlement should be top priority for everyone.

As I said, he is the contracted player. You have a legally binding contract. No beef there. You've got a coach who played the contract game to his advantage and have dumped Grand Finalist players. Said you'd negotiate if you got the best deal thereby negating your stated desperate need for Burton.

Not a good look but all the best. Only my opinion :grinning:

Oldpanther

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Oldpanther I said:

1. Cleary left Tigers high and dry. It was a pretty low act really. Was gossiped about and front page news for weeks destabalising the Tigers. Ivan told them he wouldn't do that to them...then did.

2. Debatable if Ivan will put Burton in at halfback 7.

3. You are in critical need of strengthening your depth at frontrow, yet let 3 go, so team dynamics management is not exactly first class from Ivan.

4. Debatable. Cleary shipped him off to Warriors and then told him so long, find another club. I am not aware that Pennies told him to go to Bulldogs. Sorry cant give you guys any kudos for that unless Cleary confirms he organised it :grinning:

You're a good bloke and I enjoy your blog. Appreciate you are defending your team, just as we do, but got to tell it like it looks from the outside looking in, judging Cleary and therefore Panthers.

Your CEO? said it may probably happen if you get a good deal. After that point your club lost all credibility about putting Matt Burton's interests first for his future playing career, financial interests, representative career and general well being with his Rugby league career.

Then the fallout started and has come down heavily on Ivan Cleary and Panthers under the current Admin.

I genuinely feel it is a shame that these issues blow up and no one wins in the end. An reasonable negotiated settlement should be top priority for everyone.

As I said, he is the contracted player. You have a legally binding contract. No beef there. You've got a coach who played the contract game to his advantage and have dumped Grand Finalist players. Said you'd negotiate if you got the best deal thereby negating your stated desperate need for Burton.

Not a good look but all the best. Only my opinion :grinning:
Ivan and a particular Panthers board member definitely deserve the negativity from that situation. A lot of us didn't like what happened and how it happened at the time.

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Shane Warne over here with the spin haha

The Faz

Kennel Participant
Reaction score

Your contributions have, in the past, been informative and well-structured but now your narrative is going around in circles and floundering.

Your rhetoric is getting tired and maybe it's time you leave TK and rejoin the circle jerk back at the foot of the mountains.

Oldpanther

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Your contributions have, in the past, been informative and well-structured but now your narrative is going around in circles and floundering.

Your rhetoric is getting tired and maybe it's time you leave TK and rejoin the circle jerk back at the foot of the mountains.
If I'm not welcome I'll happily leave. Don't want to upset anyone. That comment was informative. I corrected information Hooper either omitted or got wrong.