News Matt Burton wants out

kap123

Kennel Established
Reaction score
As much as I think Cleary is a pelican (mainly because of what he said about refs and how he carried on in front of tigers fans), people need to stop bringing up the fact they let Josh Mansour go as an argument. Yes it shows some level of hypocrisy but that's not going to get Burton here in fact it'll probably just make Penrith more pissed off so Riolo and Laundy need to be careful about how vocal they are about that.

Fact of the matter is they are in prime position so how can we negotiate a deal that gets Burton here but benefits them more than Burton just sitting in reserve grade.

rainman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I know, Baz could offer Ivan his attacking play book in exchange for Burton. (A total fake playbook of course). Hahahaha hahahaha hahahaha.
Just give them a 2019/20 bulldogs edition
That should do the trick

maltalian_dog

DESeption
Reaction score
Tbh Penrith made there own bed when they made May there priority. Yes he signed a contract but he has been unfairly treated and they have turned him into a utility when he is the best five eighth they have

Oldpanther

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Cleary is butthurt because Barrett and Hetherington came here already. Hes pissed Barrett took players with him on top of not wanting Barrett to go.
Theres also a bit of the club just wanting top line backups as long as possible. Burton will be on unders at panthers (a rookie contract) so hes a cheap topline backup.

Storm are also greedy with the talent holding, at one point having 3 number 9s that are walk up starters in any team that needs a hooker. You are crazy if you sign more than year to year early in your career, coz if you go well enough you could be robbing yourself of the deserved income spike until your contract is up.
The myth that Ivan is angry needs to die. We released Hetherington mid contract and are paying some of his $400k for you.

Oldpanther

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Tbh Penrith made there own bed when they made May there priority. Yes he signed a contract but he has been unfairly treated and they have turned him into a utility when he is the best five eighth they have
May can fill more spots so gets the 14. After another pre season I'd bet Burto gets a halves spot before May if there's an injury. Our reliable rumour guy says Burton isn't showing signs of being unhappy at training and I'd say this would have to be why.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Cleary got moved on from Tigers and paid them a $200k fee. He was going to honour his contract.
That's all PR imo he was always going to go, just said that so he didn't look like a dick.

Oldpanther

Kennel Established
Reaction score
That's all PR imo he was always going to go, just said that so he didn't look like a dick.
The pay out wasn't PR though which is what makes it not hypocrisy. If a deal can be reached and Burton goes early that's the exact same outcome as all the examples Laundy used.

Ivan: paid $200k
Mansour: had new deal before being released from current contract. Would've been at Panthers in 2021 without a deal.

Tetevano: left to super League on his own. Actually caught Panthers off guard.

Whare: not first grade standard for years but stayed on his contract helping out with defence until a deal came along.

Tamou: wanted 2 years we could only afford 1 so he accepted the Tigers bigger offer.

Hetherington: released to dogs with Panthers paying part of his contract.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
The pay out wasn't PR though which is what makes it not hypocrisy. If a deal can be reached and Burton goes early that's the exact same outcome as all the examples Laundy used.

Mansour: had new deal before being released from current contract. Would've been at Panthers in 2021 without a deal.

Whare: not first grade standard for years but stayed on his contract helping out with defence until a deal came along.

Tamou: wanted 2 years we could only afford 1 so he accepted the Tigers bigger offer.

It‘s all about perspective;
Ivan; coaches aren‘t included in the players Salary Cap, so who cares. The fact is ICleary wanted out and paid the ransom of 1/4 of his contract. We are willing to do the same and pay a ransom of 1/4 of Burton’s contract, which would be included in the Cap.

Mansour; told a few days after the GF that he was no longer required, would not be picked, told he could leave anytime, was a free agent, so he then went out and got a new deal. Would have spent 2021in NSW Cup if he had stayed, which was very much an insult to a player of his experience and ability.

Tetevano; much like Mansour, was told his contract would not be renewed and so he got a longer term deal with Leeds. The only surprise for Penrith was that despite being unappreciated there he got a good deal at Leeds.

Whare; also told his contract would not be renewed, traded in for another player, which ended up being Momirovski.

Tamou; nice way to treat your Captain, would have accepted a 1 + 1 option, but Penrith played hard ball, really left him with no choice but to find a better deal.

ICleary’s process for getting rid of players that he doesn’t want, tell them that they are no longer required, that they will be playing NSW Cup, their contract won’t be renewed and then take advantage by releasing them and getting the players he really wants as early as possible, be it contract upgrades or recruits.

Cause and effect, the effect might well have been a release but the cause was being told that they were surplus to requirements.

Go Dogs

Oldpanther

Kennel Established
Reaction score
It‘s all about perspective;
Ivan; coaches aren‘t included in the players Salary Cap, so who cares. The fact is ICleary wanted out and paid the ransom of 1/4 of his contract. We are willing to do the same and pay a ransom of 1/4 of Burton’s contract, which would be included in the Cap.

Mansour; told a few days after the GF that he was no longer required, would not be picked, told he could leave anytime, was a free agent, so he then went out and got a new deal. Would have spent 2021in NSW Cup if he had stayed, which was very much an insult to a player of his experience and ability.

Tetevano; much like Mansour, was told his contract would not be renewed and so he got a longer term deal with Leeds. The only surprise for Penrith was that despite being unappreciated there he got a good deal at Leeds.

Whare; also told his contract would not be renewed, traded in for another player, which ended up being Momirovski.

Tamou; nice way to treat your Captain, would have accepted a 1 + 1 option, but Penrith played hard ball, really left him with no choice but to find a better deal.

ICleary’s process for getting rid of players that he doesn’t want, tell them that they are no longer required, that they will be playing NSW Cup, their contract won’t be renewed and then take advantage by releasing them and getting the players he really wants as early as possible, be it contract upgrades or recruits.

Cause and effect, the effect might well have been a release but the cause was being told that they were surplus to requirements.

Go Dogs
This is complete nonsense. When is Mansour suppose to be told? Do you wait till round 1 and just not pick him? Or do you tell him during the 2020 season and get just as much bad press? The only other option is you allow players to stay in the top 17 until they decide effectively holding the roster to ransom.

The stuff about tetevano is also incorrect.

Whare wasn't traded for Momirovski. He's known for years he won't be a top 17 player but couldn't get a deal. So he stayed and earned his money helping guys like Crichton.

We simply had no cap for tamou in 2022. No way around it with guys like Crichton getting big upgrades.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
This is complete nonsense. When is Mansour suppose to be told? Do you wait till round 1 and just not pick him? Or do you tell him during the 2020 season and get just as much bad press? The only other option is you allow players to stay in the top 17 until they decide effectively holding the roster to ransom.

Whare wasn't traded for Momirovski. He's known for years he won't be a top 17 player but couldn't get a deal. So he stayed and earned his money helping guys like Crichton.

We simply had no cap for tamou in 2022. No way around it with guys like Crichton getting big upgrades.
Personally I would have let Mansour enjoy the end of season for a bit, some time to get over the disappointment of loosing a GF. Rather than pile a dumping to NSW Cup on him. Regardless of the timing it was still an insult and achieved the response ICleary wanted, Mansour out ASAP.

I didn't say Whare was traded in directly for Momirovski, just that it ended up being him.

That‘s why Tamou was prepared to accept a 1 + 1, the option being reliant on Cap space. ICleary wanted him out and he achieved his objective.

My point was simple, ICleary wasn’t being benevolent by releasing players early, he wanted them gone, told them that and then was happy that they left early. In comparison, he’s plainly not happy that Burton is leaving, didn’t want him out, didn't tell him he isn’t required and as a result won’t release him.

Go Dogs

Oldpanther

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Personally I would have let Mansour enjoy the end of season for a bit, some time to get over the disappointment of loosing a GF. Rather than pile a dumping to NSW Cup on him. Regardless of the timing it was still an insult and achieved the response ICleary wanted, Mansour out ASAP.

I didn't say Whare was traded in directly for Momirovski, just that it ended up being him.

That‘s why Tamou was prepared to accept a 1 + 1, the option being reliant on Cap space. ICleary wanted him out and he achieved his objective.

My point was simple, ICleary wasn’t being benevolent by releasing players early, he wanted them gone, told them that and then was happy that they left early. In comparison, he’s plainly not happy that Burton is leaving, didn’t want him out, didn't tell him he isn’t required and as a result won’t release him.

Go Dogs
Mansour was told then because the gf had been pushed back due to the covid break. In a normal year there's a few weeks gap after a gf to do these things before the Nov 1st negotiation deadline. It's the best option under the circumstances to give both sides what they want. Mansour wanted more years in the nrl and our roster needed to be balanced better with a speedster finally. Fact is we had 3 power runners who were good at starting sets but no fast strike type players. Staines is that for us and we can now attack on both sides of the field not just to Kikau/Crichton which is why we lost the gf. Storm could just stack their defence against our left side for most of the game. At least until Naden came on and we actually looked better.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score

I can understand you defending your coach but you’ve been told the truth about what happened at the tigers two or three times now but you are ignoring it.
Hayes is on the mark and doesn’t talk shit. My info is also 100% accurate, I’ve seen the messages etc. My family have had links to the magpies and now tigers via players & staff since the 60’s

Ivan carried on about players being on or off the bus then ditched his team when Gus came sucking back after already sacking him once (at least he’s grown some pride now).

Of course the tigers weren’t going to let him go for free so paying money out of his own pocket (or via the panthers) is pretty standard for a coach ditching his team early and nothing to praise him over.

GreenTurd

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Panthers 17 straight wins or whatever it was to make grand final, then cull players that were a massive part of the wins. Makes sense, most clubs would try to improve squad after that winning run, not Ivan he just fucks them all off.

Ivan is holding Burton out of spite he let the captain and others go, if he had the kids interest at heart he’d be at dogs. It’s a short career Burton loses money and experience.

IMO (just my opinion which doesn’t mean much ) i could be wrong but I don’t think panthers are going to go anywhere near aswell as people think this year.

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Panthers 17 straight wins or whatever it was to make grand final, then cull players that were a massive part of the wins. Makes sense, most clubs would try to improve squad after that winning run, not Ivan he just fucks them all off.

Ivan is holding Burton out of spite he let the captain and others go, if he had the kids interest at heart he’d be at dogs. It’s a short career Burton loses money and experience.

IMO (just my opinion which doesn’t mean much ) i could be wrong but I don’t think panthers are going to go anywhere near aswell as people think this year.
Last year they were a bit of a suprise packet, this year everyone will have studied them, will be up for playing them and will have a game plan around that. Losing a lot of the cattle that got them there last year will also have a big impact like you say. Overall, it reminds me a bit of us in 2012 vs 2013. Like us they blew their premiership chance in the grand final.

Last edited: