News Matt Burton wants out

Oldpanther

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Ok fair enough.

Personally, I would love to have Burton here early but I believe the NRL are deadset shooting themselves in the foot by making these stupid rules like a player being able to sign with another club 2 seasons down the track.

The Panthers shouldn’t be put in this position.
They should have until mid way through this season to fully realise the potential of their players development before they have to decide wether or not they are willing to get into a bidding war for his services.
Yeah it sucks whenever this happens. We are about to announce our 3 big signings Luai, Crichton, Yeo so you guys might have more luck when that is official and Panthers can relax a little.

capt obvious

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He'll be training as if he is a starting half for us. Even if it doesn't happen we have to prepare to play him at any time in the halves including big games like finals. If he isn't in the 17 he'll play in reserve grade working on what's learned.
I find it weird your club wants more halves that props, its good to have fallback options, but at what cost, cleary being stubborn? Your club is light on genuine props as it is,
Its still a good list, but lacking up front

Pity Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I'm not even factoring in his potential use as a centre. It's a selfish move from Penrith to deny him a smooth path into the NRL. Can you not even see that it would be a boon to have two quality back up halves? As I've said before I don't know if Salmon is as good as Burton. It may be that it's a case of Salmon being a cheap third choice reserve half. Many clubs would be envious of having great halves depth.

In any case I'm not going to dedicate too much time to discussing this. The Panthers are in the driver's seat with this. If they want to keep him for another year they will regardless of whether we think they're being spiteful.
All good mate we will leave it at that ok, I could’ve worded my response better but just saying you don’t always have to disagree with everyone all the time, you can agree every now and then lol We are all Dogs fans here, water under the bridge with me bud.

Oldpanther

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I find it weird your club wants more halves that props, its good to have fallback options, but at what cost, cleary being stubborn? Your club is light on genuine props as it is,
Its still a good list, but lacking up front
Well we did ask for Napa/Burto swap which would've helped both clubs though you might need napa as well.

Oldpanther

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I would say that we are lighter in the front row than you guys.
It's a bit tricky but a smart manager could see who else has a prop we could want and get some deals going. Convince another manager to send their player to us in return we release Burto boom win win.

mez

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
It's a bit tricky but a smart manager could see who else has a prop we could want and get some deals going. Convince another manager to send their player to us in return we release Burto boom win win.
I guess with 3 teams involved it would be win win win

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I actually think Penrith have pushed themselves into a bit of a hole with the approaching deadline to name 29 players. No doubt you have a strong starting side and good depth in a number of positions. But you've probably overpaid a few players you had to offload and are needing to fill 4 spots in the next 18 days which might be difficult without promoting from within. I don't know how many of the reserve grade are really NRL ready over there. But you might actually have more depth issues than just being light on props. It wouldn't surprise me if management over there have tried to negotiate for Napa with us paying a lot of freight. a couple of internal promotions won't hurt, but having to negotiate for four (or five if Burton is released) will be tough.

Maybe the good run you had last season distracted the management crew over there.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Cleary is butthurt because Barrett and Hetherington came here already. Hes pissed Barrett took players with him on top of not wanting Barrett to go.
Theres also a bit of the club just wanting top line backups as long as possible. Burton will be on unders at panthers (a rookie contract) so hes a cheap topline backup.

Storm are also greedy with the talent holding, at one point having 3 number 9s that are walk up starters in any team that needs a hooker. You are crazy if you sign more than year to year early in your career, coz if you go well enough you could be robbing yourself of the deserved income spike until your contract is up.

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Like Salmon is a better option than Burton lol. If Cleary/Luai go down then Burton slots straight in...and if Burton is as good as some on here think then they should understand how ridiculous it would be to just happily hand over someone with his ability.
Doesn’t may slot straight in?

Pity Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
It's clear Panthers are willing to trade if dogs can come to terms. Tigers managed it. Goes to show it's not a malice thing but business.
True but not at the expense of weakening one of our own rather thin areas in our roster! Despite how disappointed I am with Napa’s form the last couple of seasons, there’s no point getting rid of him if our young halves ( Flanagan and Burton ) are going to get smashed every week by opposition forward packs! Those young fellas need experienced props for metres and protection because without Napa and co there they would both be prey to every other teams big boys, it would be open slather on our halves every week. Hardly the right environment for our young guys to learn and thrive!