News Matt Burton wants out

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
There's more than 2 parties to consider when under-contract players are rumoured to be changing clubs. The player is under no obligation to leave if he doesn't want to. If the Panthers aren't offering any deal past 2021 (as reported) I can't really see why Napa would want to go. Penrith should be giving the guy some incentive to join them if they are keen on him. The Bulldogs would be much more likely to authorise a deal if Napa, or any player for that matter, was pushing to be let go.
Well said!

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
NRL.com understands that Canterbury's counteroffer involving another unknown Canterbury forward held just as little interest for the Panthers.

Who? Ogden?
Better not be.

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Bulldogs’ pub baron accuses Panthers of Cleary hypocrisy in feud over swap for young star
Bulldogs' major sponsor Arthur Laundy and Panthers coach Ivan Cleary.' major sponsor Arthur Laundy and Panthers coach Ivan Cleary.
Bulldogs' major sponsor Arthur Laundy and Panthers coach Ivan Cleary.

Bulldogs major sponsor Arthur Laundy has weighed into the Matt Burton contract tug of war by pointing out how Panthers coach Ivan Cleary was allowed to break his previous contract with Wests Tigers.

The Panthers are holding firm and refusing to release young gun Burton unless they can negotiate a player swap suitable for both clubs.

Cleary famously walked away from the Wests Tigers at the end of 2018 despite having two years to run on a four-year contract with the club.
Pub baron Laundy has overseen enormous change since linking with the Bulldogs as major sponsor last season and has appealed to Penrith to do what’s best for Burton’s development.

“If Matt was going to play first grade all season then I could absolutely understand why the Panthers want to retain him,” Laundy said.

“But if he’s only going to be a back-up player and get an opportunity here and there well that’s a different story.

“I don’t know Ivan Cleary but from a distance he’s always looked like a pretty fair sort of a bloke.

“Ivan was allowed to break his contract with the Wests Tigers so I thought he might have some understanding here.

“It’s disappointing, especially when you are talking about a player who is ready to play NRL now.

“They may change their minds. For Matt’s sake, we’re hoping so.”

Laundy played a major role in convincing Burton to sign with the Bulldogs including travelling to Dubbo to meet his parents.

Fox Sports has also learned the Panthers discussed a possible swap deal with Bulldogs front-rower Dylan Napa but Canterbury-Bankstown torpedoed the prospect.

The Panthers have turned over a number of players under contract this summer with Josh Mansour, Dean Whare, Jack Hetherington, Zane Tetevano and Daine Laurie all let go by last year’s grand finalists.

Last year’s captain James Tamou was also off-contract and opted to take up a two-year deal with the Wests Tigers, meaning the Panthers have released three front-rowers and are yet to replace them.

Young gun prop Spencer Leniu and the experienced Moses Leota will shoulder the majority of the load but the Panthers still need depth in terms of middle forwards.

This is where Napa’s name was mentioned in a possible swap scenario with Burton.

Napa is on around $650,000 a season, making any move difficult for the Panthers salary-cap wise.

The Bulldogs point blank refused the swap deal — leaving the Burton situation unresolved.

Under the Napa proposal, the ex-Queensland Origin forward would have joined Penrith this year but there was no guarantee there would be a deal for him beyond this season.

Panthers deputy chairman Greg Alexander reiterated the club’s position about refusing to release Burton unless the Panthers can strengthen their roster.

“Unless the Bulldogs can provide something of value to us then we’re not just going to hand Matt Burton over,” Alexander said.

“Matt and his manager have been aware of this from the moment Matt signed the contract with the Bulldogs.”

The Bulldogs have signed Burton on a three-year deal from 2022 onwards but want to fast-track his arrival to start the season in the halves alongside fellow new recruit Kyle Flanagan.

But the Panthers are continuing to hold firm unless they can benefit from a swap deal.

Burton, 20, has played five NRL matches for Penrith over the last two seasons.

Is it normal for a sponsor to be speaking to the media on Dogs matters a frequently as this bloke?

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We can't! Hetherington and Thompson have the worst records at the judiciary and every time they faulter they get rubbed out for weeks at a time.
How can you say that when they have played a hand full of NRL games between them?! Its just rubbish. Sure Hetherington is a hot head, but he has barely begun his NRL career. Same as Thompson.

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOL, NOT wanting to get rid of a shit prop who can be replaced and gain a potential premiership winning half a year early to ensure we open our premiership window earlier because you would MAYBE win a few more games this season.... Fcuk that juvenile logic.
I suspect the no deal is either about Napa refusing a move for just this season only, or Penrith asking us to pay most of his salary as well. I want Napa gone but not if we're effectively paying $650kfor him to play for Penrith.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
How can you say that when they have played a hand full of NRL games between them?! Its just rubbish. Sure Hetherington is a hot head, but he has barely begun his NRL career. Same as Thompson.
This is a article on Hetherington from 2019 than he got another big suspension for that high tackle on Tapau in 2020. Any kind of charge will result in a week now with his loading.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
From memory...23 games, 5 suspensions, 10 games suspended and at least 2 sin bins. Lol.

Hulk76

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Why not? Lazy player and can't play the big minutes. Gasses out after 15mins. He is an old school prop type. Not suited to the faster game. He lacks mobility. I liked him and thought he has potential, but he has not developed any further.
Better not be.

Ant2611

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We can't afford to lose Napa because between the two spastics Hetherington and Thompson every time they sneeze they'll get rubbed out such is their history with the judiciary and the carry over points they have incurred. We have Averillo who will play 5/8 and it will do him the world of good and allow him an opportunity to cement a postion as opposed to being a utility. Burton needs to bide his time at the Panthers and hopefully he gets plenty of game time but in the mean time he should continue to train hard and learn from the players around him so he can bring it all to the Bulldogs come 2022.
I guess to a superman everyone must seem like a spastic...........you moron

Mak Dogs

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I know we are thin on props but this bloke is dead set rubbish. Atleast with atoni and Ogden I have a bit of hope they will turn out into top forwards. Get the deal done