News Matt Burton wants out

Total Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
My gut feel.... the Panthers have no back up fullback if Dylan Edwards goes down now that Laurie moved to the Tigers. Burton would have been on peanuts, so they wouldn’t want a big ticket swap, I reckon Nick Meaney would be the pick for the Panthers & wouldn’t cost them a heap

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think anyone has said top 4 with Burton this year. Top 8 this year with Burton is realistic (assuming we do OK with injuries)
Next year once the plodders are gone and we get JAC, a gun prop and hooker, then yes, top 4 here we come

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
My gut feel.... the Panthers have no back up fullback if Dylan Edwards goes down now that Laurie moved to the Tigers. Burton would have been on peanuts, so they wouldn’t want a big ticket swap, I reckon Nick Meaney would be the pick for the Panthers & wouldn’t cost them a heap
that is not a bad proposal but I think the Panthers would move Staines to fullback if Edwards went down injured or went through another bad run of form

longy0303

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I'd put Av at fullback
i hear you. i think he has potential to be a good player and should be held back a little. let him build. with the purchase of allan and his origin debut last year that for me has him in front at this stage with the option of shuffling a few positions next year as the team adds/loses players. will see how they all go this year and who forms combinations quicker in a new team.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Staines and Crichton could both potentially play fullback. Staines wants to play there long term.

True Blue

old dog
Reaction score
I think its because over the past few years we seem to lose the arm wrestle over the course of a match and therefore, we need more punch from our wingers. Okonbur and DWZ provide way more metres and aggressive running in the first to hitups, whereas Meaney struggles to gain solid metres. I say let Meaney play Fullback in CC and then if there is an injury to Corey Allan, he can come in (although i would actually prefer Baz to give Avo a chance at full back if Allen got injured and Burton has the number 6 locked down). In the meantime, i believe Avo at 14 will be good for his development (let him rove around the ruck like a Craig wing or Papenhauzen before he was fullback)
I tend to agree Pav.......I am actually a bit of a fan of Meany, but he is not the heavyweight dominating winger to bring the ball back on kick returns. I see him as potentially a good finisher who with a more attacking forward pack and better backs could benefit form those breaks.....he needs to back up the play infield and out wide.......Okunbor (when fit) and DWZ are probably better suited to the kick returns .....as long as they can actually catch the kicks.........

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Why is everybody ignoring Meaney, in my opinion he has proved himself to be a decent player with plenty of pace, TBaz has included him in the squad yet nobody seems to mention him on our forum, I think Meaney should be one of our wingers ahead of DWZ & Okunbor if Burton does come early then Averillo can move to the Center with Hoppa & Cotric can go to the other wing. I think this is the way TBAZ will go the other good thing is Meaney can cover at fullback if Allen has an injury in fact he is named in the predicted team to run out for round one in in the Bulldogs web site.
Meaney has a high ceiling imo, all the things people like to shit on him for are easily fixed. Good kid who's willing to learn, hope we keep him on the wing outside Cotric

rexest

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Meaney has a high ceiling imo, all the things people like to shit on him for are easily fixed. Good kid who's willing to learn, hope we keep him on the wing outside Cotric

Cant see meaney making the 17 after 2021, Kid has pace in a straight line but dosent have the footwork or power to break the line unless he is put into open space(kick returns are pretty weak, So are his hitups/scoots out of dummy half), Don't think he will be anything other then average.(Has more brains then dwz though)

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Cant see meaney making the 17 after 2021, Kid has pace in a straight line but dosent have the footwork or power to break the line unless he is put into open space(kick returns are pretty weak, So are his hitups/scoots out of dummy half), Don't think he will be anything other then average.(Has more brains then dwz though)
I agree with all of that to an extent. However he's continually put on mass in the last 2 seasons and won't be small forever. The key to realising Meaneys value is looking at how well he links with his supports once he has made a break. This is pretty valuable to have in a winger, lots of them are stupid and go for the dumb play. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt in improving his weaknesses with a better attacking structure and having his role more defined wether that be in first grade or reserve grade because they boys done everything asked if him in difficult circumstances

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
They didnt get allan to play him anywhere else he is our fb, The guys ability to bounce and put his center/winger into open space is why he was signed.
Maybe. Maybe not. Have always thought Av would play fullback. Maybe Allan is being groomed for the centre role?

Either way. It's a wonderful position for our club to finally be in when we've finally got competition for spots!

Malla

Reaction score
Charlie Staines would be the fullback if Edwards goes down.

surfdog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the riff were after Napa and not a like for like replacement, they clearly don't need Burton now. Makes me more confident that we get him soon, good to see the manager out there earning his keep.

Headmix

Banned
Reaction score
If it happens it happens. Would be good to cement our halves [pairing for the next few seasons now. But it's still a valuable commodity for Penrith to have an extra quality half as back up. If it were us in their position I wouldn't want to release a good option to benefit another team. I was annoyed that we let Reimis go for nothing in return when we aren't stacked with quality backs. So I can see why they're sticking to their guns. Doesn't mean I'm happy about the situation, but I understand Penrith being reluctant to let him go.
I think giving storm riemis helped us getting the fox .