Jeremy Marshall King

KRDG

Waterboy
Reaction score
Last two seasons he has been playing with some poor halves and thus trying to make the big play constantly. I’m looking forwards to seeing what he can do with a settled spine, not the best 9 but the best we have atm

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I have a feeling JMK will change alot of negative opinions of him this year. I'm backing him to be in the top few of our most improved.

Regardless of who we might be chasing as our long term 9, I hope we re sign JMK as our long term 14.

During a game, he has the ability to cover hooker, halves, back row and can adequately cover centre as he did last season in defence if required due to injury which is the hardest injury to cover. Standing at 6ft 1 - he isn't a "spot" in our defensive line as he can handle himself & doesn't miss many.

For mine, a utility as such is invaluable to any team & it would be a shame to lose him.

That's my opinion anyway.
Oh wow

really?

that’s disgusting surely there are better options in the league for a number 14!

Dog gone

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I have a feeling JMK will change alot of negative opinions of him this year. I'm backing him to be in the top few of our most improved.

Regardless of who we might be chasing as our long term 9, I hope we re sign JMK as our long term 14.

During a game, he has the ability to cover hooker, halves, back row and can adequately cover centre as he did last season in defence if required due to injury which is the hardest injury to cover. Standing at 6ft 1 - he isn't a "spot" in our defensive line as he can handle himself & doesn't miss many.

For mine, a utility as such is invaluable to any team & it would be a shame to lose him.

That's my opinion anyway.
I agree with everything you mention ,i think jmk will improve out of site,he can cover multiple positions and his defence is pretty good most of the time . He is a tough bugger and can take and deliver big hits,he also backs up well up the middle,im thinking with some good performances in the near future and some good coaches behind him he'll change alot of kennelers opinions of him throughout the season

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Everywhere i keep seeing him mentioned in our top 17 at starting 9 loll...... he should be nowhere near the side, worst hooker in the game
Sione katoa to start for me or even wakeham
I’ve wondered what wakeham would be like at hooker. Maybe worth a shot.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I agree with everything you mention ,i think jmk will improve out of site,he can cover multiple positions and his defence is pretty good most of the time . He is a tough bugger and can take and deliver big hits,he also backs up well up the middle,im thinking with some good performances in the near future and some good coaches behind him he'll change alot of kennelers opinions of him throughout the season
100% agree, but it is make or break for him. He was good at the backend i thought last year, but he needs to run more. I think TB can get more out of him, if he cant step up then he will be punted.
But has pace, he is very quick over 40, just needs to have the confidence to run the footy, i reckon that was coached out of him last few years.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
100% agree, but it is make or break for him. He was good at the backend i thought last year, but he needs to run more. I think TB can get more out of him, if he cant step up then he will be punted.
But has pace, he is very quick over 40, just needs to have the confidence to run the footy, i reckon that was coached out of him last few years.
What's the use in the dummy half running if there are 2 markers and defence is set? He had next to zero groundwork set for him in the past, so it was no use him darting out of dummy half as there is no space for him to dart into. Plus he is then out of the next play and can't be dummy half for that. Selective running is what is required and that demands other payers make it worthwhile, hopefully this year he will have that and be able to display what he really has, or not.

Go Dogs

Last edited:

Stinger

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Id like to see jmk under new structure. Same with some other players. Not easy to look good when you are in losing side, with not much structure in place and forwards arent setting up platform. I thought he was ok when we won some rare games.

Katoas passing, in a few games he played for us last season, was terrible in my opinion.
We had a simple and effective structure last year that won us 3 games. Run hard tackle hard.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
What's the use in the dummy half running if there are 2 markers and defence is set? He had next to zero groundwork set for him in the past, so it was no use him darting out of dummy half as there is no space for him to dart into. Plus he is then out of the next play and can't be dummy half for that. Selective running is what is required and that demands other payers make it worthwhile, hopefully this year he will have that and be able to display what he really has, or not.

Go Dogs
thats rubbish, he had plenty of opportunities to run last year and he chose not too. He doesnt have to get tackled either, he can offload.
hardly did any humms last year either. What TB will hopefully do is educate him and give him the confidence to see those opportunities.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
thats rubbish, he had plenty of opportunities to run last year and he chose not too. He doesnt have to get tackled either, he can offload.
hardly did any humms last year either. What TB will hopefully do is educate him and give him the confidence to see those opportunities.
JMK has shown he isn’t able to read the defence and identify the time to run in his career . All his runs have premeditated and he rarely chooses the right time to go. A lot of it just comes down to instinct and comes naturally and I don’t think JMK has it. I’m not sure it’s something that can be taught especially at such a late stage in his development.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
A lot of our 2021 season will be riding on JMK and/or Katoa.. one of them has to really step up in order for us to be anywhere near the top 8.. here's to hoping...

vegny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
JMK has shown he isn’t able to read the defence and identify the time to run in his career . All his runs have premeditated and he rarely chooses the right time to go. A lot of it just comes down to instinct and comes naturally and I don’t think JMK has it. I’m not sure it’s something that can be taught especially at such a late stage in his development.
May be some of the reasons because tolman or lewis called for it?

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
May be some of the reasons because tolman or lewis called for it?
Isn’t part of being a good hooker is knowing when to over ride a call and take advantage of a opportunity? I don’t buy Tolman or any other player calling for the ball being a reason for JMK’s poor decision making. Game management is a massive thing at dummy half and JMK is very poor at it.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
agree with that but i think it can be taught during training scrimmages, video sessions etc. If our mindset is to attack, then hopefully the positive play rubs off on all players. if your attack is negative which ours was last year, the players get in that mindset. Time will tell with JMK, as i said earlier if he doesnt he will be punted

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Isn’t part of being a good hooker is knowing when to over ride a call and take advantage of a opportunity? I don’t buy Tolman or any other player calling for the ball being a reason for JMK’s poor decision making. Game management is a massive thing at dummy half and JMK is very poor at it.
100% i dont agree tolman stifled the attack, he was there offhe ball where he should be. He should not have received the ball from dummy half or first receiver.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
As most will agree DCook is pretty handy at running out of dummy half but as his last year's SOO stats prove he is only good (at running out of dummy half) when a platform is there for him to perform. A simple example, SOO 2 (which NSW won) he racked up 374 run metres, Cleary wins MoM, Walker has a blinder and the forwards set a great platform. Compared to SOO 3 (which NSW lost) only 210 run metres, Cleary is ineffectual and Walker has what everyone describes as a shocker.

Did he suddenly lose his vision in SOO 3, couldn't read the defence, failed to identify the time to run? I don't think so, he was simply let down by those around him, not giving him the opportunity to run.

Only suggesting that JMK should be given some opportunity to perform in a decent team with a 1/2 and some forwards that might just give him something to work from. If he doesn't make it, then he doesn't make it.

Go Dogs

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
As most will agree DCook is pretty handy at running out of dummy half but as his last year's SOO stats prove he is only good (at running out of dummy half) when a platform is there for him to perform. A simple example, SOO 2 (which NSW won) he racked up 374 run metres, Cleary wins MoM, Walker has a blinder and the forwards set a great platform. Compared to SOO 3 (which NSW lost) only 210 run metres, Cleary is ineffectual and Walker has what everyone describes as a shocker.

Did he suddenly lose his vision in SOO 3, couldn't read the defence, failed to identify the time to run? I don't think so, he was simply let down by those around him, not giving him the opportunity to run.

Only suggesting that JMK should be given some opportunity to perform in a decent team with a 1/2 and some forwards that might just give him something to work from. If he doesn't make it, then he doesn't make it.

Go Dogs
The difference is Cook has shown he can take advantage of it when a platform is set and JMK hasn’t. I don’t think in JMK’s whole career the pack has been dominated in every game. In his whole career he hasn’t shown me anything to indicate he has the tools to really carve a team up not even flashes of brilliance so I doubt it’s magically going to happen now. Even with a few additions our pack may hold its own but it’s hardly going to dominate on a weekly basis.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
The difference is Cook has shown he can take advantage of it when a platform is set and JMK hasn’t. I don’t think in JMK’s whole career the pack has been dominated in every game. In his whole career he hasn’t shown me anything to indicate he has the tools to really carve a team up not even flashes of brilliance so I doubt it’s magically going to happen now. Even with a few additions our pack may hold its own but it’s hardly going to dominate on a weekly basis.
The forwards don't have to "dominate on weekly basis" just give him something, anything to work from. If they do and he lets them pass without taking advantage then he's had his chance to prove that he is worthwhile keeping. Up to now they either haven't come or he's been so used to 99% of the time there being nothing for him to take advantage of. I believe that he as earnt the opportunity to display his skills under an attack focused coach working with an improved roster, nothing more than that.

Go Dogs

Dog gone

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I blame our halves in the past they're the ones that are suposed to steer the team around and dictate play. I know myself when playing park footy at hooker that without my halves running a good forward pack and calling our plays i was lost at hooker. This only intern creates players like tolman etc getting in the way and breaking the play down ,and as a hooker can be very unorganized and thus mistakes are made, eg, bad service, players over running the ball or just getting away from the game plan. If the halves are calling the right shots and running the team correctly it makes the hookers job a hell of a lot easier

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
We had a simple and effective structure last year that won us 3 games. Run hard tackle hard.
But play eyes up footy, with some madness.
Don't worry if you lose, just try hard and I'll tell them you're only young and you need some better players around you.