Official Corey Allan signs 3 year deal with Bulldogs

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Of course not writing him off for the rest of his career at all. I’m just saying he’s just not there yet and his game in origin probably showed that he isn’t ready.
HAven't seen any of his games so I wouldn't have a clue.

An interesting signing if true. We can't just sign superstars so I'm OK with it based on what people say about him.

sillymaddog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I must have missed the memo but why is everyone hard up on Avo playing fullback? Was he a fullback in his juniors? I don't see fullback , if he could learn to defend in the middle give him the 9 jersey, can pass left and right , quick of the mark and can kick. Has shown he has vision with his brief stint at 5/8.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score

An interesting signing if true. We can't just sign superstars so I'm OK with it based on what people say about him.
I like the signing for this year considering everything like the injuries and players signed for 22 but long term I don’t like it as much.

dekepefc

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I must have missed the memo but why is everyone hard up on Avo playing fullback? Was he a fullback in his juniors? I don't see fullback , if he could learn to defend in the middle give him the 9 jersey, can pass left and right , quick of the mark and can kick. Has shown he has vision with his brief stint at 5/8.
Can't tackle

rexest

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

Because this is the kennel anyone who has pace they see as a fullback goes all the way back to the micheal lett and leon bott days.

Snowmann

Party Rocker
Reaction score
If true, certainly a signing out of the Blue..and white.

Surely this means Hoppa gone from next year, Allen will play Center from 2022.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score

Allan's definitely a good player to have in the squad and even in 22 we won't be disappointed if he's named in the team unlike some players in the past. What makes this a good pick up or not is what he's on. If we get a big name at hooker (looking like 22) then all these "lower level" signings are still good.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I’m not mad at the signing (if true)

He’s a proven fullback and I actually thought he was the Bunnies best player along with Walker second half of the season

He’s not express pace but then again look at Meaney ...all the pace still so-so

Origin 3 he was hot and cold (prob nerves in the cauldron and decider) but he supported well through middle and should’ve had a try assist (Holmes fumble)...he also took out JAC which won the game/series [emoji23]

I think he’s going to really improve our attack

Avo, I think he still needs to develop and if Burton arrives early then 14 is his jersey

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
From what we've seen Averillo's best position is five-eighth. With Burton coming that position isn't an option for Averillo. We've also seen that Averillo isn't a centre or winger. Averillo has said himself he's a five-eighth or fullback. Averillo's one of our most promising players coming through so you want to be able to incorporate players like that into the team. The Storm have shown you can run someone like Averillo off the bench with Hynes and previously Papenhuyzen. It's hard to give them more then 30 minutes average game time a season tho.

sillymaddog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
From what we've seen Averillo's best position is five-eighth. With Burton coming that position isn't an option for Averillo. We've also seen that Averillo isn't a centre or winger. Averillo has said himself he's a five-eighth or fullback. Averillo's one of our most promising players coming through so you want to be able to incorporate players like that into the team. The Storm have shown you can run someone like Averillo off the bench with Hynes and previously Papenhuyzen. It's hard to give them more then 30 minutes average game time a season tho.
I see what your saying, he thinks he's a 5/8 or a fullback. How crazy would it be if Burton came in at 13 , old school ball playing lock, kids a big body that can take a hit and defend really well. Gives us 3 playmakers on the field at all times attacking from both sides , Travis Norton 2.0

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hooman

Only see Allan as a back up FB not a real first choice for any team to be honest. If we are targeting a FB, we need a top line of none available spend that money in more required positions until one becomes available. Personally think time and money needs to be put into the likes of Avo at FB well before we throw anything at Allan.
Mate I watched a lot of south’s games last year,and he really stood out on a number of occasions,the one thing that bothered me though was that state of origin game,he was vulnerable with the high balls,but I’m sure he’ll have learnt from that,he’s only 22,

Pity Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
He’d be a good signing. Big body. Can play wing or FB. Only concerning thing is what they are planning for Averillo.
I would hardly call Cory Allan a BIG body, the guy is 90kg soaking wet and stands 186cm high!

Headmix

Banned
Reaction score
So did Brenko Lee and Dunimas Lui! It was a very weak pool to chose from and if Ponga and Brimson aren’t hurt he wouldn’t have got a run. Good on him for getting on the field but he isn’t a rep standard player for mine.
Geez mate, if getting picked for origin doesn’t do it for you you must be a sour blues supporter.How many dogs played origin this year??

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hope we didn’t pay anywhere near $500k because we are spending a lot of cap on outside backs now.View attachment 19855
I am pretty sure this post was from like November or early December?
Clearly no one took up the $500k else he would have been signed already.
I would imagine that we would've got him around the $400k mark.
From the moves we have made in recent months, I feel more confident that we are buying better and not overpaying.

Because there's a thing called salary cap and it was originally reported he was chasing around 600k...not worth anywhere near that so hopefully that isn't what we're paying. Solid fullback, average winger, possibly a good centre? He's basically a slightly faster more agile Hoppa.
Isn't that everyone's issue with Hoppa though? We all know he is a very talented player, he is just let down by his lack of speed, really his only weakness. In saying that, I dont see Allan playing in the centres but at FB. I think with the way the game is speeding up, Avo could be deadly as a #14 supersub when Burton arrives in the #6.

Pity Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Can’t wrap my head around this one. Bloke looked okay in a quality Souths attack last season. Battles at times under a high ball and in defence. Thought he had West Tigers written all over him and that’s saying something.
Every NRL player battles under the high ball “at times” even the most profcient at catching the high balls! Take it from someone who used to play Commonwealth Bank cup for the best junior Rugby League school in the day ( Fairfield Patrician Brothers ) that it’s never easy catching a bomb and remain focused on the ball when you can hear the stomping footsteps of kick chasers bearing down on you at full steam wanting to take your head off!

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
wow the negativity from some i also dont get it..have faith that we didnt overpay for him looks a good get to me.
I Like those stats at fullback last season too, he is a way better fullback option than an unknown Averillo, forget this kid Baz will work something out for him maybe revolve at 5/8..or he just may not make it this year who knows..Corey looks quick enough i reckon plus can do sprint training with JAC and gain a yard of pace that way.
Overall i reckon he will be good and if we sign Momo too that would be good also.The competition for spots will be great and if our slackarse backs from 2020 dont raise the bar they can all pissoff at the end of this year.