Coronavirus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Realisticly what can he do that would have any major impact?

Trump has politicised this so much. It's one side against the other.

Those Repubs wont start wearing masks, social distancing etc unless Trump tells them to.

Presumably with him taking credit for vaccines, he will now recommend they take it?

Him getting C19 was the worst thing ever for them. Telling them he is immune and dont let it defeat you, they have become even more belligerent and disbelieving apparently, according to that nurse.

If it wasn't happening, you just wouldnt believe a modern democracy would be so laissez-faire about a pandemic with projected death numbers of over 400k.
The experience of that ER nurse in your post is another piece of evidence to add to the truckloads that show we are in a very concerning period of time. There has always been spin and lies, but the level of it all right now is insane.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
The experience of that ER nurse in your post is another piece of evidence to add to the truckloads that show we are in a very concerning period of time. There has always been spin and lies, but the level of it all right now is insane.
Exactly.

People are believing everything "their" side of politics tells them, no matter the implausibility.

In the meantime it appears these populist manipulators get more and more selfish, narrow minded and conservative, and can rely on Murdoch to legitimise his polarizing, greedy views through them.

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
Anyone looking for an example of why individuals (particularly in America) have such little trust for media and the political class:

The governor of New York, who clearly mismanaged COVID, worse than any other location in America and who massacred more citizens than any other governor in the U.S. writes a book about 'leadership in the time of COVID' and lectures other people to 'admit their mistakes'.

It's hard to imagine that he's able to keep such a straight face while being so hypocritical. But that is the arrogance of many in the political and elite circles.

"Mr Cuomo has also been heavily criticised for an advisory he issued on March 25, which directed aged care homes to accept patients who were infected, or were suspected of being infected, as long as they were medically stable.

The nursing homes were also barred from testing patients for the virus before admitting them."

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We should just shut the borders from SA. Instead of this half-arsed advice telling people to avoid non-essential travel, just shut it off until they get there shit under control.

N4TE

DogsRhavnaParty
Reaction score
Probably look at it like trickle down economics - not going to affect (get to) them ...
Texas hitting ~10K cases on the daily - sad state of affairs for many friends and former colleagues.

but #firefauci will likely result in that final swerve of turning the corner ;)
As long as the magical space carpenter is blessing them they should be sweet as pie.. Godblessamerica..

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Anyone looking for an example of why individuals (particularly in America) have such little trust for media and the political class:

The governor of New York, who clearly mismanaged COVID, worse than any other location in America and who massacred more citizens than any other governor in the U.S. writes a book about 'leadership in the time of COVID' and lectures other people to 'admit their mistakes'.

It's hard to imagine that he's able to keep such a straight face while being so hypocritical. But that is the arrogance of many in the political and elite circles.

"Mr Cuomo has also been heavily criticised for an advisory he issued on March 25, which directed aged care homes to accept patients who were infected, or were suspected of being infected, as long as they were medically stable.

The nursing homes were also barred from testing patients for the virus before admitting them."
Cuomo is an idiot. Other than the issues he caused during the outbreak, he's now getting people to question the safety of the Covid-19 vaccine. Not based on evidence, based on anti-vaxxer logic.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Claiming he is the saviour for a vaccine, well if that's the case he needs to claim responsibility of how they have handled this .
Was listening to an interview of the editor in chief for Science Journal the other day. He was talking about how Trump hindered progress on a vaccine all while claiming he was helping. Then after that he visited the labs and basically got angry when the scientists wouldn't thank him for everything he's done.

There's no wonder why a large chunk of the scientific community have spoken out against him.

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
Cuomo is an idiot. Other than the issues he caused during the outbreak, he's now getting people to question the safety of the Covid-19 vaccine. Not based on evidence, based on anti-vaxxer logic.
Personally I would prefer to not ever take a COVID vaccine.

The only reason I will is if:

- My employer forces it;
- It's a forced requirement before you can travel anywhere for a holiday (likely);
- Government forces it through tax disincentives.

If none of these three things happen (I accept it's more than likely at least one of the three will happen), then I'll take it.

In the absence of the three things occurring, there is little (if any) benefit in healthy people under a particular age taking the vaccine.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Personally I would prefer to not ever take a COVID vaccine.

The only reason I will is if:

- My employer forces it;
- It's a forced requirement before you can travel anywhere for a holiday (likely);
- Government forces it through tax disincentives.

If none of these three things happen (I accept it's more than likely at least one of the three will happen), then I'll take it.

In the absence of the three things occurring, there is little (if any) benefit in healthy people under a particular age taking the vaccine.
Ever heard of herd immunity?

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
Ever heard of herd immunity?
Of course. It's why governments in Australia have 'incentivised' citizens to 'agree' to various vaccinations for other illnesses (which I've always taken).

I think you'd find that without the threat of extra tax, not being able to get your kids into child care or the restriction on travel, vaccination rates would likely be half of what they currently are.

Specific to these COVID vaccines, I think you'll find most people are inherently wary of a vaccine that has miraculously been designed, tested and produced within the space of months, despite it being a process that usually takes multiple years.

Given COVID is zero risk to me, I'll be opting to avoid any vaccine for a while (unless there is some sort of tax or other disincentive put on us).

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Of course. It's why governments in Australia have 'incentivised' citizens to 'agree' to various vaccinations for other illnesses (which I've always taken).

I think you'd find that without the threat of extra tax, not being able to get your kids into child care or the restriction on travel, vaccination rates would likely be half of what they currently are.

Specific to these COVID vaccines, I think you'll find most people are inherently wary of a vaccine that has miraculously been designed, tested and produced within the space of months, despite it being a process that usually takes multiple years.

Given COVID is zero risk to me, I'll be opting to avoid any vaccine for a while (unless there is some sort of tax or other disincentive put on us).
How are you immuned from it?

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
How are you immuned from it?
In all likelihood I'm not immune. Although there is research suggesting a certain percentage of the worlds population are naturally immune to COVID due to T cell immunity.

However, I don't see why it should matter whether or not I'm immune.

I am in my 30's, with zero pre-existing illnesses. The actual chance that I would have any negative effects from contracting COVID are 1 in a few hundred thousand.

Humans make decisions based on risk in daily life and throughout their lives. This is just another one of these decisions, and for most people the risk is almost non existent.

However, the media have created such a panic that people who are completely healthy and at no risk from COVID, enjoy lining up to be tested (e.g. Adelaide the last few days). The ironic thing is they are lining up in lines of hundreds of strangers in close proximity to them where the likelihood of contracting the virus actually goes up and not down.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score

It is quite miraculous. Well, miraculous is the wrong word. It still went through all the normal testing, it's just that it got approved faster and pre-produced speeding up the amount of time it takes.

But the reason I mentioned herd immunity is because it's fine if you aren't going to be at risk, but you can still be infected. And you can still pass that infection on to any elderly or immuno-risk people you come into contact with.

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
But the reason I mentioned herd immunity is because it's fine if you aren't going to be at risk, but you can still be infected. And you can still pass that infection on to any elderly or immuno-risk people you come into contact with.
Yes I can be infected. I have a feeling I actually had COVID in January, but there's no evidence for that apart from the symptoms I had which match the described symptoms of COVID.

Regardless of this, if I get COVID, so be it. You can't live life in isolation (perhaps for a few days, but certainly not for any longer).

Particularly given the lack of cases in the country, the idea that I would contract the virus and also pass it on are remote at best.

My stance may be different if we were living in a country where thousands of cases were occurring on a daily basis. However they clearly aren't.

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
And I also think that very clear guidance should be given to the eldery and immune compromised populations that they should be vaccinated.

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
Realisticly what can he do that would have any major impact?

Trump has politicised this so much. It's one side against the other.

Those Repubs wont start wearing masks, social distancing etc unless Trump tells them to.

Presumably with him taking credit for vaccines, he will now recommend they take it?

Him getting C19 was the worst thing ever for them. Telling them he is immune and dont let it defeat you, they have become even more belligerent and disbelieving apparently, according to that nurse.

If it wasn't happening, you just wouldnt believe a modern democracy would be so laissez-faire about a pandemic with projected death numbers of over 400k.
Do you have any opinions on Brazil, Peru, Chile Spain, Belgium and the UK, all of which have higher death rates per capita than the U.S?

Or Israel, Bahrain, Qatar, Belgium and the Czech republic all of whom have higher infection rates per capita than the U.S?

The U.S. clearly has high numbers, but there sure is an unusually large amount of attention on them, given they are no where near the worst (when you measure per capita)

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Do you have any opinions on Brazil, Peru, Chile Spain, Belgium and the UK, all of which have higher death rates per capita than the U.S?

Or Israel, Bahrain, Qatar, Belgium and the Czech republic all of whom have higher infection rates per capita than the U.S?

The U.S. clearly has high numbers, but there sure is an unusually large amount of attention on them, given they are no where near the worst (when you measure per capita)
The attention is on them because they claim to be
a world leader , their president rather than lead kept brushing of the severity of it all and a country some how made wearing a mask and medical advice political. And I've stated numerous times its not all his fault but he failed to lead and made continuous bullshit claims and morons who can't think for themselves followed stupid advice ,even now with a new president elect they gathered in mass numbers ,a country that is meant to be numbers 1 is fast approaching 200,000 cases a day and they death toll will mount which will absolutely fuck their medical system and will take its toll on life saving people without covid. And they still are not seeing past their own nose , practically every single thing the usa has done with the coronavirus has been an abortion and they have only just now hit the ice berg the ship will sink and claim a lot more lives .
Look where they are now and keep in mind the lag .
A country in peace time will have 300,000 deaths by Xmas the focus on America is because they are the world's biggest car wreck how could you not look?

Status
Not open for further replies.