Opinion Players agitating out of a contract

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Wests Tigers prop Josh Aloiai has demanded an immediate release from the club to join Manly and told officials he will “never wear the jersey again”.
According to The Sydney Morning Herald, Aloiai’s manager, Tyran Smith, approached the club in recent weeks asking for an extension.
Aloiai has also been one of Michael Maguire’s strongest supporters in a season where there has been growing speculation of a dressing room rift.

However, the Samoan international has now changed his mind and decided he wants to leave the Tigers with a move to the Sea Eagles on offer.
Smith also represents Addin Fonua-Blake whose move to the Warriors has freed up salary cap space at

Manly recently re-signed Taniela Paseka and have Martin Taupau on a long-term deal, but Aloiai would prove a handy acquisition.

The Tigers had to endure a similar situation with Ryan Matterson last season.
The back-rower skipped training before being granted time away from the club prior to a release to the Eels.
Tigers chairman Lee Hagipantelis said the club would not roll over and allow Aloiai to walk out the door to join an NRL rival.
“I find it very perplexing that only some four weeks ago, the player sat opposite to me and professed his love of the club and commitment,” Hagipantelis told The Sydney Morning Herald.

“Now we have a situation where a form of release has been sought, with a view to taking up a contract elsewhere obviously for more money. It is curious as to how that seems to generate welfare concerns.

“It is my understanding that he has agreed to terms with Manly for 2022 and 2023, but that is contingent upon a release in 2021.
“In my view he has a contract with the Wests Tigers which he will fulfil in 2021 unless I can leverage a commercial advantage for the club.
“The days of players, or others, thinking that they can use the Wests Tigers as a stepping stone are over.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This will continue to happen when you can sign a contract so far in the future. I honestly think this needs a rethink and I’m not sure going back to the June 30 deadline is the answer either.

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I'm getting over seeing this time and time again. It's time for the NRL to step in and muzzle the player manages and make a contract worth the paper its written on.
To me it's pretty simple, all contracts and official contract offers should be lodged and recorded with the NRL. This will ensure players and clubs are protected from player managers trying to manipulate the player market.
Secondly, if you break your contract then you shouldn't be able to earn more than the contracted amount your already on. This will likely be a restriction of trade and illegal though.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Tigers looking attractive :tearsofjoy:

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This will continue to happen while ever there is no deterrent against it.

One solution would be for the NRL to impose a rule that states a club cannot offer a player more than his current contract until that contract expires, then they can offer them whatever they want. This will prevent player managers whoring their clients around before their current contract expires as there's no financial benefit for the manager or the player.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
This will continue to happen while ever there is no deterrent against it.

One solution would be for the NRL to impose a rule that states a club cannot offer a player more than his current contract until that contract expires, then they can offer them whatever they want. This will prevent player managers whoring their clients around before their current contract expires as there's no financial benefit for the manager or the player.
Everyone would sign one year deals then lol

Cosmo24

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm getting over seeing this time and time again. It's time for the NRL to step in and muzzle the player manages and make a contract worth the paper its written on.
To me it's pretty simple, all contracts and official contract offers should be lodged and recorded with the NRL. This will ensure players and clubs are protected from player managers trying to manipulate the player market.
Secondly, if you break your contract then you shouldn't be able to earn more than the contracted amount your already on. This will likely be a restriction of trade and illegal though.
Agreed the NRL need to step in, however it can only happen AFTER we convince a few players to break their contracts first [emoji6]

H-dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tigers can’t have it both ways telling people to look for other clubs, and then not expecting quality players to appreciate there mates being treated like that. I always thought that was the main reason mrs Klemmer left after we told woods to go.

foREVerA7X

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Everyone would sign one year deals then lol
That's my answer to this problem. One year deals only. Yes loyalty will decline and players will more than likely jump from club/pay check to club/pay check.

Contracts mean diddily squat these days. Outside of this, make the player pay the remainder of his contract to the club he wishes to leave.

Total Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
No one to thank for this mess in seeing the Player Managers run the game not the NRL.... but Greenturd had numerous chances to reign them in, and chose not to the idiot

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's my answer to this problem. One year deals only. Yes loyalty will decline and players will more than likely jump from club/pay check to club/pay check.

Contracts mean diddily squat these days. Outside of this, make the player pay the remainder of his contract to the club he wishes to leave.
One year contracts are definitely not the answer. Clubs have themselves to blame as they always overpay for potential and not production.
Without a draft I’m not sure how there be much incentive for clubs to release or trade players on fully guaranteed contracts.

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Agreed the NRL need to step in, however it can only happen AFTER we convince a few players to break their contracts first [emoji6]
There'll be occasions where player transfers are beneficial to both clubs and the player i.e. Matt Burton. Say he signs for 2022, clubs can negotiate an early release, Penrith get salary cap space, Burton gets to play regular footy, we get a starting half at a good price.
The NRL can even step in and regulate a player trade / loan system so that movement of players between clubs can occur without the player managers being overly involved.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score

I don't think the NRL is capable of managing such a high turn over of players each year.

ramonesdog

Waterboy
Reaction score
The modern player and their managers have too much power now especially over bottom teams. I don't know what the solution is but it needs to change soon

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
One year contracts are definitely not the answer. Clubs have themselves to blame as they always overpay for potential and not production.
Without a draft I’m not sure how there be much incentive for clubs to release or trade players on fully guaranteed contracts.
One year contracts all round are very dangerous when you have clubs like the Roosters