U.S. Politics - Thread

U.S. Politics

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
What does need to happen and really really soon is a major overhaul on the way information is being handled, especially on social media.

I don't think that will happen, and the result of this failure will be some seriously atrocious wars both between countries and within countries. History has shown that this is the way it goes, time and time again.

"The real lesson from history is that man does not learn from history." - Aldous Huxley

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
The problem is the way Trump is dealing with the loss. There will be millions of Trump fans thinking that an election was fraudulently stolen. Trump will unlikely concede regardless. This will change the face of the US for many years.
Take this as you want but I think there are a lot of uneasy feelings about the way in which Trump has lost. It certainly appeared as though he was on track to win with a significant portion of the vote counted.

It might be legitimate that these mail in ballots have appeared, but it certainly makes people feel very uneasy seeing it look like Trump was a comfortable winner, but only for that to change with these last votes being counted.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Yep and what do you reckon the final season of Trump will bring and Assassination or a Civil War? People are saying a world war but I reckon they will make that as a spin off series.
I was leaning toward civil war but the Republican Party has started distancing themselves from Trump. I think he'll lose all support then be dragged out kicking and screaming.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
De-nied:

Federal judge denies Trump motion to stop counting votes in Philadelphia
A federal judge has denied the Trump campaign’s motion to stop ballot counting in Philadelphia. This is the third campaign legal challenge to the vote count that has been dismissed.
The president’s chances of winning reelection appear to be shrinking as states continue to count ballots. His increasingly desperate campaign has launched a series of lawsuits that are unlikely to have any bearing on the election results, but have served as a means to sow doubt in the legitimacy of the whole elections system.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Take this as you want but I think there are a lot of uneasy feelings about the way in which Trump has lost. It certainly appeared as though he was on track to win with a significant portion of the vote counted.

It might be legitimate that these mail in ballots have appeared, but it certainly makes people feel very uneasy seeing it look like Trump was a comfortable winner, but only for that to change with these last votes being counted.
I think this was a complete screw up. The states were very vocal about which votes would be counted first (some states postal, some states in person), and they were vocal about the majority of mail-in ballots being registered Democrats, but people weren't going to grasp that. If they counted mail-in ballots and in-person ballots at the same time it wouldn't look so dodgy.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
the good thing about trump is it makes me see how normal some other republicans are

like McCain and Romney are normal, but i would have been pissed at the time if they won

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
I think this was a complete screw up. The states were very vocal about which votes would be counted first (some states postal, some states in person), and they were vocal about the majority of mail-in ballots being registered Democrats, but people weren't going to grasp that. If they counted mail-in ballots and in-person ballots at the same time it wouldn't look so dodgy.
I think it would be a good idea to count ALL ballots at the same time, absolutely.

The problem with this is the American system allows mail in ballots to appear days after the election. This is idiotic.

In Australia you can vote before election day but there is a defined cut off day so that all the votes (as I understand it) are received by election day.

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
the good thing about trump is it makes me see how normal some other republicans are

like McCain and Romney are normal, but i would have been pissed at the time if they won
I disagree. Other republicans are passive and willing to accept people walking all over them. Take a look at the rise of social media companies with the power to control (essentially) global opinion, without any pushback from these old republicans.

Look at the senate committees when Zuckerberg and Jack Dorsey etc have to field questions. These idiot republicans barely even know what a tweet is let along understanding the power of something like the google or facebook algorithms to control what people see and hear.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong but the Republicans blocked mail in votes from being counted early, and therefore the sheer volume of votes to be counted on election day was too great so they spread it out in the format they did

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
Says a lot about a person when a country favours a senile pedophile more than you....
Wouldn't say they favour him, he is just collateral for getting Trump out. Biden is as popular as a fart in an elevator, he is just a means for a higher purpose.

My question is, who are the left going to whinge about and blame all their problems on once Trump is out ( if he does lose)

They'll turn on Biden in given time, once he serves his purpose of getting Trump out.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I think it would be a good idea to count ALL ballots at the same time, absolutely.

The problem with this is the American system allows mail in ballots to appear days after the election. This is idiotic.

In Australia you can vote before election day but there is a defined cut off day so that all the votes (as I understand it) are received by election day.
Yep. The whole thing was poorly managed.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I disagree. Other republicans are passive and willing to accept people walking all over them. Take a look at the rise of social media companies with the power to control (essentially) global opinion, without any pushback from these old republicans.

Look at the senate committees when Zuckerberg and Jack Dorsey etc have to field questions. These idiot republicans barely even know what a tweet is let along understanding the power of something like the google or facebook algorithms to control what people see and hear.
OR there's actually NOTHING ILLEGAL there and they're just putting up a show to appease their supporters.

A LEGITIMATE concern is the spread of disinformation, which Twitter and Facebook sat on their hands for a long fucking time and said it's not their problem. They FINALLY acted upon it and the one party who has continuously lied and smeared for the past 40 years claimed twitter and facebook were impeding "free speech"

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong but the Republicans blocked mail in votes from being counted early, and therefore the sheer volume of votes to be counted on election day was too great so they spread it out in the format they did
Yep. They also tried to block the mail-in ballot system from being put in place in the first place. That's why there was so little time.

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
Yep. The whole thing was poorly managed.
I think you'll find what really has a lot of Trump supporters offside is the 200k voted which showed up at 4am in Detroit which suddenly meant Trump 4% lead became a 0.4% loss. Not many people are going to look at that and not feel like something very dodgy was happening.

Doesn't mean that it WAS dodgy, but people are going to have strong views about it.

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
OR there's actually NOTHING ILLEGAL there and they're just putting up a show to appease their supporters.

A LEGITIMATE concern is the spread of disinformation, which Twitter and Facebook sat on their hands for a long fucking time and said it's not their problem. They FINALLY acted upon it and the one party who has continuously lied and smeared for the past 40 years claimed twitter and facebook were impeding "free speech"
They are impeding free speech.

They are protected under U.S. law from being sued as a publisher. This is on the basis they don't encroach on free speech within particular guidelines.

My point is that facebook, youtube and google are 100% publishers of information.

The choice should be this:

- Remove section 230 exemptions for big tech and allow people to sue them for defamation for the content on their sites.

OR

- Allow exemptions to remain but only on the basis they stop censoring information on their sites (except for information which is a clear and direct call for violence).

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Yep. They also tried to block the mail-in ballot system from being put in place in the first place. That's why there was so little time.
So it can fairly be assumed, given all the other bits and pieces the Republicans did months prior, that this was always their tactic to steal the election through the courts

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score

the idiotic thing is assuming that ballots appearing days after the election is a fraud and ballots appearing on election day is good

like most people will vote by mail at the last moment allowed while people who perform election fraud apparently can do it earlier

but most importantly this whole thing is the trump defense mechanism, he had a problem in 2016 and was calling it rigged until he won, if he lost in 2016 he would say that immigrants voting illegally was the reason he lost

basically the whole country is fighting over this thing simply because trump is the sorest loser of all time, thats the reason

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
They are impeding free speech.

They are protected under U.S. law from being sued as a publisher. This is on the basis they don't encroach on free speech within particular guidelines.

My point is that facebook, youtube and google are 100% publishers of information.

The choice should be this:

- Remove section 230 exemptions for big tech and allow people to sue them for defamation for the content on their sites.

OR

- Allow exemptions to remain but only on the basis they stop censoring information on their sites (except for information which is a clear and direct call for violence).
So you're happy to censor information if it calls on violence. If you're going to argue the "free speech" line then you argue FOR it from all avenues.

Once you start picking and choosing, then you are agreeing with Twitter and Facebook labelling posts fake news and removing massive lies from their feeds

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Allegheny County Executive saying that because of a court order they're not allowed to count 36000 votes until Friday 5pm.

Status
Not open for further replies.