News D-Day arrives as Bulldogs set to ‘blow Panthers out of water’ with Burton offer

The ReignMan

Previously Clint
Reaction score
Flanagan and Burton will be a good halves combination. We just need the back rowers to run off them.
If we get JAC, as fullback, then the only position to fill is someone to play centre with Cotric.
If the cash is used up, and we cant afford a hooker, I can live with JMK as a 9.
He will improve with coaching from an established half like Barrett.
I like katoa’s passing game more and he’s got some mongrel about him JMK is the perfect 14 off the bench covers a few positions

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think that our current squad, I'm talking about the players that we have had with us these past few years, they will finally realize, that the holiday is over come the first day of off season training. That in itself excites me :grinning:

Last edited:

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
If we end up with JAC, Burton, Flanno in 1, 6, 7, how about starting Averillo off the bench and giving him 30 to 40 minutes in the 9 spot each game, with a view to working him towards that role. The two best 9s going around shifted from the halves, CSmith and Cook. They are both smaller men. Get him watching video of their tackling technique, they both get through a lot of defensive work against the big men but do a great job. And from the 9 spot he is a great position to exploit tired forwards, utilise his short kicking game and his creativity.
We're not playing Jake at 9 lol.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Hopoate's been one of our best players the last two seasons. His best position is right centre. Hopoate is someone due to his age that we'll assess season by season. It is a position we can upgrade if it makes sense.
Hopoate has been "best" because the rest of the team were s**t. He is to slow, has bad positioning,
misses tackles, and doesnt return the ball like a fullback should.
JAC is the exact opposite of him.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Hopoate has been "best" because the rest of the team were s**t. He is to slow, has bad positioning,
misses tackles, and doesnt return the ball like a fullback should.
JAC is the exact opposite of him.
Hooker and prop are areas of concern before centre imo. Players being the best in a bad team isn't a negative thing.

Reactions: ATT

Bulldogz82

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not really a similar situation. Mini was an established fullback with years of experience while RTS was the boom rookie learning his trade off the wing while coming in now and then to add some extra spark Mini lacked. Both Josh and Jake on the other hand completely lack experience while so there's no master and apprentice type scenario at play here.

I said previously that if JAC comes then he will probably play a Rapana/Holmes type role off the wing where they come in field and follow the ball while chiming in for a set play or two. Manu also did something a little similar this year where he popped up on the left edge but it wasn't really that common.
That's fair comment but what lack of experience they might have will be surpassed by the skill and explosiveness that these 2 bring. I think it would work a gem or at least worth a shot

The Faz

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
If we get JAC, as fullback, then the only position to fill is someone to play centre with Cotric.

When does Staggs come off contract?

Dogs79

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Ordinarily I wouldn’t say this, but $500k for a rookie Burton isnt a bad deal. It’s better than $500k for a broken down end of his career veteran at this stage of a rebuild. Sure it’s a risk, but we haven’t taken a calculated risk for many years. Always thrown the money at players who really haven’t warranted their cash eg T Rex, Foran (at least at $1M+), and a few others. Get it done, $500k is a big number for a rookie, but we can make up for it elsewhere with some smart purchases. Without the attention of other clubs, we might have wrapped it up for $350ish but lets just take the leap on this one I reckon.

Apex Cedar

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
2022 look OUT LOOK OUT ! The dogs are coming

Avo
Carr
Schoupp
Staggs
Cotric
Burton
Flanagan
Thompson
McInnes
McLean
Elliot
Toupinoua
Jackson

toomaga
RFM
Topine
Odgen

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
$500k for Burton. Pay him the money now! This is no where near the risk we took on Foran for $1m a year. This kid can play. I have no problem splashing money on spine positions. Does anyone remember that Eastwood was on $800k for the final year of his contract?

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Ordinarily I wouldn’t say this, but $500k for a rookie Burton isnt a bad deal. It’s better than $500k for a broken down end of his career veteran at this stage of a rebuild. Sure it’s a risk, but we haven’t taken a calculated risk for many years. Always thrown the money at players who really haven’t warranted their cash eg T Rex, Foran (at least at $1M+), and a few others. Get it done, $500k is a big number for a rookie, but we can make up for it elsewhere with some smart purchases. Without the attention of other clubs, we might have wrapped it up for $350ish but lets just take the leap on this one I reckon.
Yep I agree, this one is a different kind of risk. It’s calculated.

Wayne Rooney

Kennel Established
Reaction score
1. Jake Averillo
2. Jayden Okunbor
3. Nick Cotric
4. Will Hopoate
5. Josh Addo-Carr
6. Matt Burton
7. Kyle Flanagan
Okunbor wont be back till around midway next year from memory (due to injury)

I've heard that Barrett will not be playing Cotric in the centres, and he will throw him straight onto the wing