News D-Day arrives as Bulldogs set to ‘blow Panthers out of water’ with Burton offer

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
BULLDOGS’ MIND-BLOWING OFFER TO PANTHERS STAR

The Panthers are set to ramp up their pursuit of on-contract Panthers back-up five-eighth Matt Burton when the November 1 deadline hits.

Clubs are free to talk to Burton from Sunday as he is only signed for the 2021 season and James Hooper revealed the Bulldogs are set to offer a mammoth deal.

“What I hope Penrith do is release Matt Burton because I think he deserves to play first grade every day of the week,” Wendell Sailor said on Triple M’s Origin Rumble.

“I know the Panthers have a pretty good young squad there now and I think their halves are going to be there for a long time.

“I think you have got to let him go to another club and play first grade every day of the week.”

“You raise a good point because with the Panthers there was a school of thought a couple of weeks ago that they were really going to dig their heels in,” Hooper said.

“The thought was they would be adamant that well he has signed a contract. He is here at Penrith and if Nathan Cleary or Jarome Luai gets a long-term injury next year there is an opportunity for Matt Burton to go straight into first grade.

“I think the thinking is starting to shift a little bit now and the Bulldogs are just going to blow them out of the water.

“As of November 1 they are officially allowed to sign him, so that is tomorrow. I think they are talking about offering him a contract upwards of $500,000 per season.

“That is a hell of a lot more than he is on at Penrith. I’m sure the Bulldogs will make it clear to the Panthers that he has a saloon passage straight into first grade than if he remains at the foot of the mountains and is getting held back a little bit.”

THE FOXX FAVOURING BULLDOGS OVER TIGERS RETURN

The Bulldogs are the favourite to land the signature of wantaway Storm winger Josh Addo-Carr for next season and beyond.

The NSW and Kangaroos winger is desperate to return to Sydney for family reasons and wants to play fullback and James Hooper believes the Belmore club has the upper hand in the hunt for his services.

“It is out of Canterbury and the Tigers, but I think he is leaning towards joining Trent Barrett at the Bulldogs,” Hooper said on Triple M’s Origin Rumble.

“I think that Trent is considering him and looking at playing him in the fullback role.

“The Tigers certainly thought they were holding all the aces, but as it has transpired over the course of the last six weeks I think it is more leaning towards Josh going to Belmore.”

Wendell Sailor pointed out it was a cruel twist of irony for the Tigers, who let Addo-Carr go to join the Storm in 2016 where he went on to become a representative star and premiership winner.

“Do you remember when Josh Addo-Carr was at the Tigers and talking to other clubs and I said to then coach Jason Taylor are you disappointed about losing Josh Addo-Carr?” Sailor recalled. “And he said, no not really.”

“The Tigers don’t get me started with their recruitment and retention policy over the course of the last 10 years,” Hooper fumed.

“From James Tedesco to Ryan Papenhuyzen to Josh Addo-Carr. Mitchell Moses is at Parramatta now. Aaron Woods should never have left.

“It has just been one bad decision after another and a big part of that has been the constant revolving door around coaches.

“Ivan Cleary has got to accept some responsibility for that because he was signed on a four-year-deal and it obviously didn’t pan out that way.”

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I think 300k would be enough to get him out of the Panthers (due to lack of game time) but the problem is going to be competing with other clubs. Not sure I'm as comfortable with the 500k Hooper's throwing around. I think there's a little bit of risk to that, not necessarily that I wouldn't do it.

Also good that we're front runners for JAC, but it'll have to be for the wing in my eyes if we're signing Burton as we need a position for Averillo, if not next year, for the year after.

jon50n

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
$500K is a fair amount for a young kid BUT if he really is that good I would snap him up on a 3 year deal because this kid is big enough to play in the halves or lock so it would be a good investment .. along with JAC, Cotric and Averillo re signing our side is finally looking the goods for 2021 and beyond .. happy days are ahead of us my fellow kennellers LOL ... I might even buy a bulldogs membership again because I am feeling excited on our signings as of late ... to top it of we just need Smith or Grant to put the cheery on top ...
UP the DOGGIESSSS !!!

Bulldogs_4eva

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
$500K is a fair amount for a young kid BUT if he really is that good I would snap him up on a 3 year deal because this kid is big enough to play in the halves or lock so it would be a good investment .. along with JAC, Cotric and Averillo re signing our side is finally looking the goods for 2021 and beyond .. happy days are ahead of us my fellow kennellers LOL ... I might even buy a bulldogs membership again because I am feeling excited on our signings as of late ... to top it of we just need Smith or Grant to put the cheery on top ...
UP the DOGGIESSSS !!!
Mate I don't care give this kid the kitchen sink give him what ever he wants just make it happed

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
“Do you remember when Josh Addo-Carr was at the Tigers and talking to other clubs and I said to then coach Jason Taylor are you disappointed about losing Josh Addo-Carr?” Sailor recalled. “And he said, no not really.”

Lol lol

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
If we paid Flanno about $350k per year I don’t see us paying Burton $500k nor do I think we have to.

If Penrith need a back up we can send Lewis their way and free up some money in the process.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Stoked to have him but still somewhat cautious. He's a young kid that played a handful of minutes in an absolutely stacked side, plenty of young halves have looked good in similar situations and failed to kick on. Offering him more than Flanagan is a potentially a slight issue but we will see.

Anyway about a mill for both our halves combined? If the both perform then that might be a bargain...his deal might also be structured uniquely with the final 2 years at 500k each with 21 being at a reduced rate to help us recruit another gun for next season.

Mackdoggies

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I think Barrett’s comments yesterday about using 2 fullbacks is very interesting. Could mean Averillo and JAC floating around behind play in possibly the most dangerous 2nd phase play we have had since Barba in 2012. Not sure how it would work and where it leaves a hole but it is a very curious comment.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Burton would be such a good addition.

Im just still so worried about that hooker spot. JMK and Katoa are bench players at best.
Inb4 put Lewis at 9 (someone on the kennel is guaranteed to shoe horn Lewis into a team line up even if we sign Burton)

I think JMK will be average but slightly better if he has clarity from Barrett and the halves on how the attack is being run.