Official Kyle Flanagan signs 3 year deal

The__GM

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Solid signing. I'm looking forward to having competent halves play after 3 years of Foz being in and out of the lineup, Pay chopping and changing between Cogger (RIP), Lewis, Wakeham and Averillo. The reported $300-$400k price tag I feel is a fair price as well. If he flops, it's not cap destroying, leave him with Mounties as a depth signing. If he is average/ kills it, it's a bargain compared to what we're used to.

If Trent is this mystical halves/ offensive coach whisperer he's been touted as these past 12 months then I'm finally going to get excited about a footy season for the first time in about 4 years.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Probably because he didn't fire in that semi final.
Cleary didn't fire in the GF, is he on the outer?
The roosters didnt want Lattrell either but that didnt turn out great for them.

Not sure what they expected from Flanagan. It was his first full year of first grade. When the side was playing well after Covid he was great. Losing Radley was massive for them because he took pressure off the halves.

Keary didnt have a great back end to the year either

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Here here, may the good signings continue he is rated by some pretty decent past players.Johns and Fittler etc went ok back in the day...
And we have the right coach to help mould him into a 200+ game player.
What would Fittler and Johns know? ;)

Menteek

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
not sure if everyone seen when dogs announce his signing on Instagram, he was fired up saying “let’s go 2021”

fuck if that doesn’t show you how much he wants to prove everyone wrong one especially roosters, then I don’t know what defines it lol.

never seen a new recruited player more excited in agessssssss the vibe is changing boys and that’s all it takes to start a fireeee blaze of players joining

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Solid signing. I'm looking forward to having competent halves play after 3 years of Foz being in and out of the lineup, Pay chopping and changing between Cogger (RIP), Lewis, Wakeham and Averillo. The reported $300-$400k price tag I feel is a fair price as well. If he flops, it's not cap destroying, leave him with Mounties as a depth signing. If he is average/ kills it, it's a bargain compared to what we're used to.

If Trent is this mystical halves/ offensive coach whisperer he's been touted as these past 12 months then I'm finally going to get excited about a footy season for the first time in about 4 years.
I'm quietly confident that TB will have a considerable impact on our team. He was a gun half in his era and unlike some legendary halves in the media he is articulate and can communicate effectively to his players. Johns, Wally and JT can barely construct a coherent sentence together and often they just say the obvious.

Brendan7

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Probably because he didn't fire in that semi final.
Cleary didn't fire in the GF, is he on the outer?
Wasn’t just the semi final. Was very average all year long. Looked as good as a very average halfback. Had very little in attack aside from goal kicking.

Burton is the better half for us anyway. Least Flanagan can kick goals that’s something.

Bulldogz82

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No. I'm comparing a roosters side effectively playing with 12 men on the field for 80 minutes in the grand final and winning easily vs storm to flanagan stepping into a well drilled team and failing
Flanigan did not cost the roosters a premiership, injury hit all year to there whole club and keary and co just looked tired as fuck during the last few weeks, this kid is a genuine half back and is a dirt cheap signing

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
That the Roosters didn't want him is a red flag though. They rarely get this wrong. Lets hope Kyle does. He'll be solid I guess and he's an elite goal kicker so there is that. However I don't see him as a great half, he'd need a dominating 6.
Yep, my thoughts as well. I remember when he left the Sharks and signed with the Roosters. I mentioned this to a few diehard Sharkies mates and their response at the time was “good they can have him”. That may have come about due to his fathers exploits but they didn’t seem to upset that he’d left the Sharks for the Rorters and now they’re paying out the last year of his contract to leave Bondi. More to this than meets the eye.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep, my thoughts as well. I remember when he left the Sharks and signed with the Roosters. I mentioned this to a few diehard Sharkies mates and their response at the time was “good they can have him”. That may have come about due to his fathers exploits but they didn’t seem to upset that he’d left the Sharks for the Rorters and now they’re paying out the last year of his contract to leave Bondi. More to this than meets the eye.
Sharks made a play to get him back mate

The__GM

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I'm quietly confident that TB will have a considerable impact on our team. He was a gun half in his era and unlike some legendary halves in the media he is articulate and can communicate effectively to his players. Johns, Wally and JT can barely construct a coherent sentence together and often they just say the obvious.

Agreed. All reports are he's come a long way since his time at Manly. He was also handcuffed during his time there with Cap hell, a divided board that didn't want him and an aging roster that was either in the middle of retiring or medically retiring...

All the Panthers playing group can't stop speaking highly enough of him. I'm also impressed with the support staff/ strength and conditioning group around him. I want them to hurry up and get right into the offseason/ pre-season training so we can see how the group responds.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Flanigan did not cost the roosters a premiership, injury hit all year to there whole club and keary and co just looked tired as fuck during the last few weeks, this kid is a genuine half back and is a dirt cheap signing
It would be fucking great if any one of you could point out where I said he cost roosters a premiership.

I repeat for all here who have difficulty with comprehension.

Hes an average player, my preference would have been to wait an extra year to sign burton AND another half, instead of bogging us down with another average player for 3 years.

At the very least hes on a cheap deal.

Bulldogz82

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It would be fucking great if any one of you could point out where I said he cost roosters a premiership.

Hes an average player, my preference would have been to wait an extra year to sign burton AND another half, instead of bogging us down with another average player for 3 years.

He has had one full season in the nrl and few games last year, he was good enough for the roosters to chase, how can you say he is average, kid has barely had time to grow as a halfback for ppl to judge him as average

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The roosters didnt want Lattrell either but that didnt turn out great for them.

Not sure what they expected from Flanagan. It was his first full year of first grade. When the side was playing well after Covid he was great. Losing Radley was massive for them because he took pressure off the halves.

Keary didnt have a great back end to the year either
Typical Roosters, Mitchell Pierce played in a couple of GF's for them including their win in 2013 only to be flicked for Cronk and now the rumour is they want him back...I dont believe in Karma but hopefully if its real it will come back to haunt them with "The Flange"

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
He will do very well in our team without the pressure he had at the roosters.

Hopefully he is very successful and we have a long term half at our club which has been a big problem for years (along with fullback and hooker).
Even if he just matches the value Hodkinson gave us it will be enough. No need to have the best halfback in the world in your team when there's other positions you can buy a marquee player for like 6,9,1.

Averillo has the potential to be a marquee no.1 or 6, we just need a gun no.9 and if Flanno can steer us around the park and control the game then it will be enough.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

I dont think he is average and the Rorters certainly saw something in him. But, their impatient and ruthless formula has worked for them the last 10+ years and they just were not prepared to wait a year or two for "The Flange" to develop.

I will bet my third nut that old Nick thinks the rorters can win again in 21 if the have a smart old head half (like Pierce) with I am sure at least another surprise signing or 2..

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
He has had one full season in the nrl and few games last year, he was good enough for the roosters to chase, how can you say he is average, kid has barely had time to grow as a halfback for ppl to judge him as average
He still walked into a back to back premiership team and given a minimal role and imo failed to impress.

His backrowers, centres and wingers are some of the games best and they know what lines to run. So while some are lauding his try assists stats, they're forgetting which well drilled team he walked into, his stats should be the bare minimum of what to expect.

As I said I'm not impressed. (Truthfully though I really hate his father and kyles own head, just want to punch it)

Last edited:

xreedmatic

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Not to mention having the NSW 5/8 run the show for the Roosters.

Apart from Cleary and Walker(apparently the next big thing), there is no other young HB's around that are worth it.

At the end of the day, the NRL comp in "general" lacks quality halves who are consistently good on a weekly basis

Keary, DCE, Pearce, Cleary and goodnight to the rest

xreedmatic

Kennel Established
Reaction score
He still walked into a back to back premiership team and given a minimal role and imo failed to impress.

His backrowers, centres and wingers are some of the games best and they know what lines to run. So while some are lauding his try assists stats, they're forgetting which well drilled team he walked into, his stats should be the bare minimum of what to expect.

As I said I'm not impressed. (Truthfully though I really hate his father and his head, just want to punch it)
Yeah he's old man definitely has a punchable melon, but don't take it out on the kid