JAC has been sounded out by Barret

foREVerA7X

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Im sure Ryan Papsmear wasn't known for his Ball Playing attributes at the start of this year and he hasn't improved a hell of a lot in that area either (but has improved none the less).

What Papsmear does well is back up every run and bursts through with speed which is something we lack. When was the last time we had a FB always sniffing around the ruck? Barba?

If $600k is true, sign him up. He could be our David Fafifta signing and have a knock on effect, especially in trying to lure Harry Grant or B Smith as well.

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
We have to pay overs otherwise no one good will come which = fullback money anyways. Even if we were buying JAC as a winger (we can use someone else like Nofoaluma as an e.g.) it'd be fullback money.
I agree we will have to pay overs for top class players. However doing that for a winger who wants to play a position he hasn't played at NRL, well to me that's not a good recruiting strategy. DWZ mark 2.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ball playing fullbacks have more expected of them also. Ponga has been criticised heavily this season because of how his ball playing has regressed.
A fullback in the JAC or Papenhuyzen mould would have a much simpler assignment.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I agree we will have to pay overs for top class players. However doing that for a winger who wants to play a position he hasn't played at NRL, well to me that's not a good recruiting strategy. DWZ mark 2.
the difference is JAC is the faster player in the comp, in the top 3 wingers in the game if not the best imo.
yes a gamble but it is one worth taking, worst case he plays wing. He is a game changer, things he can do no one else can and he is a winger.
he is built to play fullback, a player of his ilk playing the top level can make he adjustment for sure.

Punchbowl Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
regardless who started thread I like the idea of paying jac fback money, I've watched plenty of him and I think he's got good enough ball skills, he's pretty robust for defence, shitload speed. He wants to play with the brothers but they can't pay fb money

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Jac played fb during the koori knockout, cant really remember how he went though

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
It isn't and we want to address the spine if players are available there, especially hooker. When recruitment was open since last November and we got very little done this is the outcome unfortunately, I don't want next year to be a write off like this one. I think JAC is more likely to succeed at fullback than DWZ ever was. He should get his move next year regardless if it's us or another club so we'll see I guess.

Rockdog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
JAC, I’m not against it. get it done. Total speed freak with many other skills. May help us attract some more talented players and at worst if he can’t make a fist of it at FB we will have one of the best wingers in the comp.

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
regardless who started thread I like the idea of paying jac fback money, I've watched plenty of him and I think he's got good enough ball skills, he's pretty robust for defence, shitload speed. He wants to play with the brothers but they can't pay fb money
Pay him top grade winger money and if he makes the transitions then he can talk
Im not convinced
Slater retires 2 years ago and melbourne have 3 fullbacks in line all of which hadnt played more than 10 games of FG combined in front of him. Melbourne are a club like we used to who could have dropped any winger in to accomodate moving him to fb

Theres only a handful of clubs that can accomodate adding him. Ball seems to be in the Sydney clubs hands in this case i cant see them getting into a bidding war

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Surely he will take 600k with a clause for upgrade if he succeeds as a FB... If he doesn't the real question lies on whether he is worth 600k as a winger?

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Surely he will take 600k with a clause for upgrade if he succeeds as a FB... If he doesn't the real question lies on whether he is worth 600k as a winger?
Not as a winger. I'd say closer to 500k. An extra 100k isn't bad in my books considering everything.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Not as a winger. I'd say closer to 500k. An extra 100k isn't bad in my books considering everything.
Who is the best winger in the comp? Carr would go close, so would Cotric and if 200k extra over valuation gets you Cotric and JAC then i find it hard to find a negative in that kind of business.

Basically locking in two of the best wingers in the comp who can potentially play anywhere in your back 5 including FB. I give it the go ahead.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Who is the best winger in the comp? Carr would go close, so would Cotric and if 200k extra over valuation gets you Cotric and JAC then i find it hard to find a negative in that kind of business.

Basically locking in two of the best wingers in the comp who can potentially play anywhere in your back 5 including FB. I give it the go ahead.
fair point this actually. Guess the concern though is that if it doesn't work out, we've already got a heap of wingers at the club. Would be good to see one of DWZ or Reimis leave this summer.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
fair point this actually. Guess the concern though is that if it doesn't work out, we've already got a heap of wingers at the club. Would be good to see one of DWZ or Reimis leave this summer.
We'll if they can sort out a deal its very likely youll see it..

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Assuming this is true
I would sign JAC as a fullback, if he fails the contract reverts back to an agreed reasonable winger's money.
That would be fair to both parties.
Otherwise it's a BIG NO for me !
No player agent would ever let their client agree to that.