News Matt Burton, Brandon Smith on Bulldogs radar as Trent Barrett overhauls squad

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Not sure, haven't really seen many teams with a "transition coach". I assume his role will be focused on working with younger players and sort of being the link between them and Baz. So a Pathways coach...? Maybe someone else knows more.
Yes. Quote from the club re: Tangata-Toa:

‘He will work closely with both Head Coach Trent Barrett and Mounties Head Coach Mick Potter to prepare players coming through the system for NRL football’.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yes. Quote from the club re: Tangata-Toa:

‘He will work closely with both Head Coach Trent Barrett and Mounties Head Coach Mick Potter to prepare players coming through the system for NRL football’.
Yeah pretty obvious helps players make the jump to 1st grade

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Yeah pretty obvious helps players make the jump to 1st grade
I like the appointment.
Not only do we now have proper pathways again but an actual transition process to NRL. Due to cleaning up the well documented mess we’ve lacked both in recent years. Will be interesting to watch how effective the new system is and how quickly.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
There was no need for a transition coach previously, because juniors rarely got a look in...
That’s what happens when you have a buy not breed policy. Obviously need both - and with slightly more emphasis on breed so you have a better chance of keeping talent at the right price as they develop: then buy to fill in the gaps, not the other way around.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
All great on paper. Now we need to close the deals (based on past not confident till it’s announced) burton and b Smith/quality hooker are an absolute must staines has to be a target. Along with some hard nose prop

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
If Crichton hasn’t signed a contract by Nov 1st he’s fair game, hopefully Barrett has the balls to sign him.
I’d even extend his brother for 5 years on 650k a year if it happens:p we definitely need some talent and young talent will be ideal so we can build towards a premiership. We aren’t in a win now position and probably won’t be for 3-4 more years.

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Coaches are signed and very impressed with what the club has done in that regard. Interesting how Baz has disposed of these ordinary players. Looking forward to see what quality players Baz will add for next year. Excited for future announcements.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Makes you wonder now if Baz would have signed Cotric on the coin he was on to play centre.

I reckon Cotric signing will be a flop.
I don't think he will be a flop but he's defenitely on massive overs considering he has played fuck all centre over the last few years.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
That’s what happens when you have a buy not breed policy. Obviously need both - and with slightly more emphasis on breed so you have a better chance of keeping talent at the right price as they develop: then buy to fill in the gaps, not the other way around.
Juniors are our only real future and the past is a testimony to that.

The thing that people fail to grasp is that our club is not an attractive club for high profile recruits and hasn't been since the early naughties for obvious reasons. Further to that the media has made us look even worse over the past 2 decades, all adding to the fact of why our club struggles to recruit high calibre players without paying them an exorbitant amount. Further added is our current position on the ladder.. and people wonder why we can't sign players.... I've even heard that our fans can have an influence on players, because the players are intimidated by the demographics and behavior of the fans.

But in saying all of that , yes it is a big challenge, but a challenge that the administration must conquer or move aside..

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Only took them 3 years to do it. At this rate lyn will be on top of it in about another 9 years. Yay.

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just wish they did everything there finally doing now. In the first week they were here. Was it not obvious then ? U dont need 3 years. They need to hurry the fuck up. But they are in there 90s so it could take much longer yet.

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the input Professor.
No worries. I seen a dog eating a dead roo on the way through town this mourning.
I thought of u and lyn. But in all seriousness they didnt really want change they wanted pay to do well enough to stay.
They just keep bumbling and stumbling along and hope to get lucky.
Pay got sg. Barret is getting half the nrl. Why did they not help dean out more so we might have been fucking winning.
But that would of took common sence, unheard of at canterbury.