News Long-time Bulldogs man George Coorey overthrown as chairman at Canterbury Leagues Club

Jackson_1994

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
In another night of boardroom brawling at Belmore, Canterbury Leagues director George Coorey has finally been overthrown as chairman.
The Bulldogs board called yet another meeting inside Canterbury Leagues Club on Wednesday night to remove Coorey for his chairman’s role.

After three-and-a half-hours of debate, it is understood Coorey was instructed to stand down as chairman. He refused to step aside when asked and may now seek legal advice
He has retained his place as a club director.
Coorey has been accused of inappropriate behaviour towards women earlier this year. The push to axe Coorey has been sustained.

A veteran Bulldogs director, Coorey was told at the meeting to step aside as chairman pending an independent investigation into the accusations.
The drama continues a season of misery on and off the field with the Bulldogs running last on the NRL competition ladder with just three rounds remaining.

It may give new coach Trent Barrett an insight into the deep issues engulfing the once proud club.
Coorey spent time with his legal representatives before attending Wednesday night’s meeting. This was the fifth board meeting called over the past nine days to try and dislodge Coorey.
Each time when asked to step down, Coorey refused, vowing to fight for his position and the allegations. He is expected to commence legal action to clear his name.

Coorey was cleared of any wrongdoing by a previous investigation commissioned by Canterbury football club. The next investigation will be conducted by the Leagues Club.

Should the new investigation also clear Coorey, he would then expect to be reinstated as Leagues Club chairman.

The interim chairman will either be directors Peter Callaghan or Paul Dunn, who was not answering his mobile phone on Wednesday night.
It is understood the new investigation would seek interviews from the women involved. Those making the allegations have, to date, been reluctant to lodge formal complaints for private reasons.

As revealed on Monday’s Daily Telegraph, Canterbury powerbroker Bill Diakos met Dunn, a Leagues Club director, and John Ballesty, another director, on Tuesday evening.

It was at this meeting — inside Ballesty’s home — where a resolution was discussed with Coorey to step down as Leagues Club chairman but remain on the board pending a second investigation.

After the meeting, Diakos met with Coorey — who is angry and bullish about the allegations — to discuss the proposal.

Asked to comment, Diakos only said: “I attended the meeting and the board members were comfortable with the proposal.”
Source : DT Dean Ritchie

Kurrupt78

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stupid women, their chance to put the fat c*** away yet they’re too scared. Is this prick friends with Roger Rogerson or something?! Just tell them the story ffs.

Kurrupt78

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Leagues club isn’t under the NRL jurisdiction so I couldn’t care less. It’s the football department I care about

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Honestly....who continually votes these clowns in?...year after year. Someone should tell them it's not a right to stand on a Bulldogs Board, it's a privilege. I realise all Clubs have the furniture directors....those that stay for 20 or more years, but seriously, I'm a believer in 5 years as a maximum....for both Dogs boards. Get in, do your best then piss off and give someone else a go. Bloody legal advisors arguing at 20 paces...do they really think that's a good look?
As for the sexual misconduct allegations, get an independent law firm familiar with workplace sexual harassment laws to conduct the investigation. If there's sufficient evidence then prosecute, if not, and the ladies don't want to pursue their allegations then it's over and we move on. Innuendo and stories are bullshit. Interview thoroughly the complainants. Members are sick to death of the factional infighting. Maximum occupancy of 5 years would at least put a time cap on the toxicity.
Members are keen to usher in a new era under coach Trent Barrett. Looks like we need refreshed boards too.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Stupid women, their chance to put the fat c*** away yet they’re too scared. Is this prick friends with Roger Rogerson or something?! Just tell them the story ffs.
It's hard to know exactly what circumstances they faced. It's easy to intimidate witnesses in some cases. Could be as simple as saying that if Vivid forces us to close the doors at the league's club, your job will be gone. And given that unemployment levels are through the roof right now the possibility of losing a job is scary for many people. I read somewhere that a waiting position had over 1000 applicants. It's not exactly a glorious job.

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
Hopefully some to the complainants come forward and put Coorey out to pasture. I think it's the retribution that they are scared of while he is still a director at the leagues club. That in itself shows the sort of power he has, and the club really needs people like that gone. He is clinging on with everything he has got.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
There has already been an investigation by a third party which apparently found no evidence and no case to answer.

And I gather Coorey didn't engage lawyers the first time around but has this time? This will make the accusers even less likely to make formal complaint I would think.

Coorey should refer the matter to the police himself NOW if nobody else has. That will take this out of the social media and police can test the evidence.

mikey

Kennel Established
Reaction score
The allegations could all be bullshit. Very strange none of the women made formal complaints..sounds like the football club is behind this.
Didn’t make formal complaints because they knew nothing would come of it.
My mrs years ago had some old bastard grab her arse at work.when she went to complain they told her he is untouchable and she would lose her job.she quit a week later.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The allegations could all be bullshit. Very strange none of the women made formal complaints..sounds like the football club is behind this.
If this goes down the legal avenue, the complainants may be forced to provide statements.

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The women and the football club will not go to this level without hard evidence. They are giving Coorey the opportunity to leave quietly without the evidence being disclosed.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Didn’t make formal complaints because they knew nothing would come of it.
My mrs years ago had some old bastard grab her arse at work.when she went to complain they told her he is untouchable and she would lose her job.she quit a week later.
Similar happened to my daughter. She was told she was easily replaceable, but he wasn't. She quit that day.

WE have two issues here:
- One is that the whole thing could be a set up to remove Coorey, who is acting like a classic narcissist, trying to hold on to power at any cost.

- The other is that his accusers have, by accident or design, put this on the front page of the daily papers. They must now come forward and make their complaints formal, with evidence - or retract their accusations with an apology.

Either way, Coorey has been damaged by this, and may well face losing his position at the next election.

All parties need a dose of reality. I reckon it comes down to what they think they will personally lose; not what damage they are doing to the club.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Why?
From what I read a lot of this happened in front of people and in the Leagues club which would have CCTV coverage of the whole floor, I would think.
Matter should be and should have been referred to the police.