News Canterbury directors to meet 'dealmaker' amid warning of football club spill

Jackson_1994

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
A clandestine meeting on Tuesday between Canterbury League Club directors and influential supporters of embattled chairman George Coorey could also have repercussions for the future of the Bulldogs football club board led by Lynne Anderson
Mr Coorey, 61, has been the subject of complaints by several women who have alleged he made inappropriate comments to them. Fellow board members have called for him to at least stand down while there is an inquiry, however his backers say he has nothing to answer for and have turned their anger towards Mrs Anderson, to whom the complaints were first made.

Neither Mrs Anderson nor Mr Coorey will be in attendance. Instead, at the meeting will be John Ballesty and Paul Dunn, who sit on both the football and league club boards.

Bill Diakos, a key ally of Mr Coorey who described his role at the meeting as a "dealmaker", will also be present.
Mr Diakos told the Herald he hoped a “truce” would be achieved between the two club chairs and warned that if not, there could be an emergency board meeting of members called to spill the football club board.

“My concern is that if we don’t have harmony in the next few days and weeks there will be people who are disgruntled and might call for an EGM,” Mr Diakos said.

“The football club is going through a tough time on the field and what is happening off the field affects the football club moving forward.”

This was news, however, to Mr Ballesty when contacted on Monday night.
“Lynne Anderson has got nothing to do with this whole situation. She is the chair of the football club,” Mr Ballesty said.

“She has had no contribution to this at all. It is a league's club matter and the league's club board is handling it. So if that’s what Bill wants to talk about he’s wasting his time and mine.
“We’ve been approached by a couple of club members who would like to impose a solution to the embarrassing situation that the club is experiencing and I’m prepared to listen to any suggestions that will help the club, and so is Paul Dunn, so we’ll meet them and listen to their suggestions.”

Mr Diakos, a long-time club member, said he did not think it was advisable for Mr Coorey to attend the meeting in the circumstances and said he was not going to represent him.
“I am going there as a dealmaker,” he said, explaining that he’d sent an SMS to Mr Dunn and Mr Ballesty to set up the meeting.

Mr Diakos said the meeting would not be held at the league club.

“People recognise us. So they would put one and one together that we are having a meeting,” he said.

The league club board met several times last week in the wake of the Herald’s revelation concerning Mr Coorey’s alleged inappropriate behaviour which included a lewd text message sent from his phone.

Source: SMH
By Chris Barrett and Kate McClymont
September 7, 2020 — 7.33pm

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
A clandestine meeting on Tuesday between Canterbury League Club directors and influential supporters of embattled chairman George Coorey could also have repercussions for the future of the Bulldogs football club board led by Lynne Anderson
Mr Coorey, 61, has been the subject of complaints by several women who have alleged he made inappropriate comments to them. Fellow board members have called for him to at least stand down while there is an inquiry, however his backers say he has nothing to answer for and have turned their anger towards Mrs Anderson, to whom the complaints were first made.

Neither Mrs Anderson nor Mr Coorey will be in attendance. Instead, at the meeting will be John Ballesty and Paul Dunn, who sit on both the football and league club boards.

Bill Diakos, a key ally of Mr Coorey who described his role at the meeting as a "dealmaker", will also be present.
Mr Diakos told the Herald he hoped a “truce” would be achieved between the two club chairs and warned that if not, there could be an emergency board meeting of members called to spill the football club board.

“My concern is that if we don’t have harmony in the next few days and weeks there will be people who are disgruntled and might call for an EGM,” Mr Diakos said.

“The football club is going through a tough time on the field and what is happening off the field affects the football club moving forward.”

This was news, however, to Mr Ballesty when contacted on Monday night.
“Lynne Anderson has got nothing to do with this whole situation. She is the chair of the football club,” Mr Ballesty said.

“She has had no contribution to this at all. It is a league's club matter and the league's club board is handling it. So if that’s what Bill wants to talk about he’s wasting his time and mine.
“We’ve been approached by a couple of club members who would like to impose a solution to the embarrassing situation that the club is experiencing and I’m prepared to listen to any suggestions that will help the club, and so is Paul Dunn, so we’ll meet them and listen to their suggestions.”

Mr Diakos, a long-time club member, said he did not think it was advisable for Mr Coorey to attend the meeting in the circumstances and said he was not going to represent him.
“I am going there as a dealmaker,” he said, explaining that he’d sent an SMS to Mr Dunn and Mr Ballesty to set up the meeting.

“People recognise us. So they would put one and one together that we are having a meeting,” he said.

The league club board met several times last week in the wake of the Herald’s revelation concerning Mr Coorey’s alleged inappropriate behaviour which included a lewd text message sent from his phone.

Source: SMH
By Chris Barrett and Kate McClymont
September 7, 2020 — 7.33pm

Caveman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought I read somewhere that one of the lady's involved showed Lynn Anderson one of the texts and Lynn brought about the whole investigation???

Perhaps my memory deceives me, but if that's true Lynn has had a whole lot to do with this.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Here we go again more nonsense around EGM’s etc. I’d believe Ballesty, he has credibility.

Bullpit

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Phil Gould completely roasted the Club on 100% Footy just now. Called this infighting a complete disaster and the Club a basket case (or words to that effect). He went as far as to say that he would advise Trent Barrett to reconsider his decision and to stay at the Panthers given the dismal politicking currently at the Club. As a long term fan, this is disgusting and unacceptable. Shame on these people!

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Phil Gould completely roasted the Club on 100% Footy just now. Called this infighting a complete disaster and the Club a basket case (or words to that effect). He went as far as to say that he would advise Trent Barrett to reconsider his decision and to stay at the Panthers given the dismal politicking currently at the Club. As a long term fan, this is disgusting and unacceptable. Shame on these people!
Thanks for the update mate.

So accordng to Gus, Baz should turn down a head coaching role, that comes with a significant pay rise, and stay as an assistant at Penrith. Who would do that? Yes he may get lucky and get another coaching gig next year or he may never get another chance ever again.

I understand the club is a mess but as long as they let him do his thing, and keep out of his way, I cant see him backing out of the deal - especially with the Laundys now onboard. Hopefully they will help fix this mess

The thing that worries me about the board unrest is our ability to attract players as their agents will be telling them to stay away from us unless we pay massive overs - that's what could kill us

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Just petty old ***** who have nothing better to do then fight for power ... Fucking shit ***** the lot of em'

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
This will get really ugly for Lynne Anderson I feel.

Basically, she's ran to the media as a political power move against Coorey.
This won't go unnoticed and unpunished.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
also have to be careful because they are shutting down each other's recruitment deals as revenge I hear

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Thanks for the update mate.

So accordng to Gus, Baz should turn down a head coaching role, that comes with a significant pay rise, and stay as an assistant at Penrith. Who would do that? Yes he may get lucky and get another coaching gig next year or he may never get another chance ever again.

I understand the club is a mess but as long as they let him do his thing, and keep out of his way, I cant see him backing out of the deal - especially with the Laundys now onboard. Hopefully they will help fix this mess

The thing that worries me about the board unrest is our ability to attract players as their agents will be telling them to stay away from us unless we pay massive overs - that's what could kill us
Yes, and by far the majority coaching roles are presented because of bad results on the field. So a coach almost always inherits a problem, with some minor exception.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Honest question. Why are people so quick to take Gould's word as golden? What has he really done for the dogs in the last decade or so? He's been at every other club but ours, but we're supposed to take his every word as gospel? Strange to me.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Never actually heard of this Diakos character until the last couple of days. Who is this guy when he isn't scratching his nuts.

If what we're led to believe is that Coorey is being investigated for illegal behaviour, how is he in a position to push for an EGM. Seems like this is just his allies trying to deflect from his stupid actions.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Sespecially when he tells the newspaper. Lol

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I thought I read somewhere that one of the lady's involved showed Lynn Anderson one of the texts and Lynn brought about the whole investigation???

Perhaps my memory deceives me, but if that's true Lynn has had a whole lot to do with this.
Only by doing the appropriate thing. If you were head of a big company and a member of the public brought this to you, you would have no choice but to act. Anyone who thinks otherwise is kidding themselves.
There simply isn't any room for the type of behaviour Coorey has been accused of in business or society. Im not the pc brigade, its simply a matter of showing reespect.so if the complaints made are beyond refute then he should step down.

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score

That good. It's called fortitude. You can't sweep those allegations under the rug. You have to bring them the attention they deserve. Seems some of the old boys are still thinking it's the 80's. Coorey needs to go. If he was putting the club first, he would fall on his sword.