News PANTHERS LIKELY TO LOSE BURTON + BARRET NOT OFFERING TOLMAN A CONTRACT

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If we sign Burton, no way do I see him staying at Panthers until 2022 as a second fiddle player. Just doesn't happen these days.
Exactly. Why would he want to stay at Penrith, playing CC, when he could be earning 3-4 times as much that year playing FG with us.
Penrith may not want to release him but all he has to do is throw a hissy fit like Klemmer did and then eventually Penrith will buckle

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
If we sign Burton, no way do I see him staying at Panthers until 2022 as a second fiddle player. Just doesn't happen these days.
It’s precisely why the NRL needs to change this rule. Talking to a player more than a year before they can move clubs makes no sense. It should be after 30 June in the year the player is off contract. If a deal can’t be sorted out in 4 months (ie: 1 November being the start of the following contract year / pre-season, something is wrong). By then the players existing club also knows who they want to keep/not the following year and should have a clear view of their cap situation. Anyone who decides to move clubs more than a year out is doing themselves and their existing club a dis-service.

Last edited:

red-dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
It’s precisely why the NRL needs to change this rule. Talking to a player more than a year before they can move clubs makes no sense. It should be after 30 June in the year the player is off contract. If a deal can’t be sorted out in 4 months (ie: 1 November being the start of the following contract year / pre-season, something is wrong. By then the players existing club also knows who they want to keep and not the following year and should have a very good view of their cap situation. Anyone who decides to move clubs more than a year out is doing themselves and their existing club a dis-service.
I think the NRL needs to stamp down on situations particularly like Addo-Carr; claims to want to leave cause he wants to go to Sydney but then hearing all this stuff about him wanting to play fullback and wanting 800K. Unfortunately the clubs will always cede to the players wishes cause who wants a player who doesn't want to be there.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Exactly. Why would he want to stay at Penrith, playing CC, when he could be earning 3-4 times as much that year playing FG with us.
Penrith may not want to release him but all he has to do is throw a hissy fit like Klemmer did and then eventually Penrith will buckle
Why would Penrith buckle?
He would be on minimum at Penrith. Even if they made him sit out the season not much downside for them.

I tend to agree that if he signs for 2022 he may come early. But certainly no guarantee as Penrith can hold him to his contract.

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He would be on minimum at Penrith. Even if they made him sit out the season not much downside for them.

I tend to agree that if he signs for 2022 he may come early. But certainly no guarantee as Penrith can hold him to his contract.
I should have said may or hopefully buckle...we certainly did
If he has already signed with us, and he wants to leave, they may just decide to promote one of their other million gun juniors to the top 30 rather than waste a spot on Burton - that's what I'm hoping anyway

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score

I think Penrith would identify that although they could hold him back, they would do the right thing by the kid. Especially if they pull off a GF win this year.

If they're sorted in the halves for 2021 and can't play him I don't think they would keep him if he could be having a solid crack at a FG career at another club. Especially if that club is now being Coached by the guy that have helped them get where they are right now. Kinda like when no-one stands in the way of an Asst Coach getting a crack at FG Coach.

Just my opinion on it.

blue & white blood

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think Penrith would identify that although they could hold him back, they would do the right thing by the kid. Especially if they pull off a GF win this year.

If they're sorted in the halves for 2021 and can't play him I don't think they would keep him if he could be having a solid crack at a FG career at another club. Especially if that club is now being Coached by the guy that have helped them get where they are right now. Kinda like when no-one stands in the way of an Asst Coach getting a crack at FG Coach.

Just my opinion on it.
I am hoping that Barrett might be negotiating with James Melony in England and Coax him to come & play along side Burton in a Blue & white No 7 Jersey imagine that?

The Big Issue

Waterboy
Reaction score

PANTHERS LIKELY TO LOSE BURTON

The Panthers may have to accept the reality that the chances of young playmaker Matt Burton remaining at the club beyond his current contract are slim.

The 20-year-old is signed until the end of next year but can start conversations with rivals from November.

He’s been tipped to be a future star of the game and showed in his five first grade appearances he has the talent to be a starting NRL half.

Burton will reportedly see out his current contract as he is keen to continue learning off Ivan Cleary and son, superstar halfback Nathan.

There’s even reports he could re-sign with Penrith but with lots of rivals circling, particularly the Bulldogs, a guaranteed starting spot could be too good for him to turn down.

BULLDOGS TO LET GO OF VETERAN

The Daily Telegraph reports incoming Bulldogs coach Trent Barrett won’t offering veteran forward Aiden Tolman a new deal.

The 31-year-old is off-contract at the end of the season. He has played 271 NRL games, 218 of those with the Bulldogs.

While Tolman is likely past his best years, his leadership has been huge for the Bulldogs and would be sorely missed by his teammates who always credit the prop for his workrate.
Not sure why everyone in the media rate Tollman.
Big minutes yeah and plenty of tackles.
Literally passed the ball about 12 times in last three seasons and 9 of those didn’t hit the mark.
Always gets dominated leading to slow ruck speed for the rest of the set. Absolute momentum killer.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score

Just my opinion on it.
Maybe.
But football clubs are the ultimate selfish animal.
Newcastle refused to let Cogger come early probably to the detriment of his career.
I hear Newcastle are prepared to offer Cogger a lifeline for next season as they have guilt for screwing kid over.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It’s precisely why the NRL needs to change this rule. Talking to a player more than a year before they can move clubs makes no sense. It should be after 30 June in the year the player is off contract. If a deal can’t be sorted out in 4 months (ie: 1 November being the start of the following contract year / pre-season, something is wrong). By then the players existing club also knows who they want to keep/not the following year and should have a clear view of their cap situation. Anyone who decides to move clubs more than a year out is doing themselves and their existing club a dis-service.
I agree in principle but this is only part of the problem the game is having
I have always believed in protecting the game from greedy administrators and players
* Players who intend on breaking contracts should be allowed to earn only what they are on for the remainder of that contract at the new club.
* Players misbehaving ( off field ) at their current clubs should severely be dealt with and not easily allowed back at another club, it would stop players purposely doing it to force their exists from their clubs.
* Transfer fees should be introduced for protecting and rewarding clubs doing the right thing especially upbringing young talent.
* TPAs, the rorting system that divides all clubs should be upgraded to equally benefit all clubs...
I have the solution, first the NRL must form a committee of 16 members one from each club to representing and work together to create TPAs...stops the bigest fraud in the game ""clubs have nothing to do with TPAs "" :rage:
ONLY If the National Rorting league truly care for equally balanced competition and the survival of all clubs...

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I agree in principle but this is only part of the problem the game is having
I have always believed in protecting the game from greedy administrators and players
* Players who intend on breaking contracts should be allowed to earn only what they are on for the remainder of that contract at the new club.
* Players misbehaving ( off field ) at their current clubs should severely be dealt with and not easily allowed back at another club, it would stop players purposely doing it to force their exists from their clubs.
* Transfer fees should be introduced for protecting and rewarding clubs doing the right thing especially upbringing young talent.
* TPAs, the rorting system that divides all clubs should be upgraded to equally benefit all clubs...
I have the solution, first the NRL must form a committee of 16 members one from each club to representing and work together to create TPAs...stops the bigest fraud in the game ""clubs have nothing to do with TPAs "" :rage:
ONLY If the National Rorting league truly care for equally balanced competition and the survival of all clubs...
Some very valid points you make mate.
I’d nominate you for the next available position as an ARL Commissioner.
You might have to revise your understanding of the acronym NRL beforehand though :-).

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Almost makes the team list named yesterday less stressful knowing no more 4m Hitups on the 4th anymore. And the potential acquisition of a “up and coming half” in the future.

Glad Barrett made the call on Tolman that Hasler and pay never wanted to do (I’m sure Hasler was taking the piss when he said he is the best prop in the world, was sabotage on his behalf, just like telling anyone who would listen that holland is a gun”.

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I think the NRL needs to stamp down on situations particularly like Addo-Carr; claims to want to leave cause he wants to go to Sydney but then hearing all this stuff about him wanting to play fullback and wanting 800K. Unfortunately the clubs will always cede to the players wishes cause who wants a player who doesn't want to be there.
I read in the Sydney Morning Herald the other day that V'landys is planning a rule change over the summer with regard to players changing clubs before the end of their contracts. What is mooted is that if for example Addo Carr is on $450k at Melbourne and he leaves with a year to go then his new club can't sign him for more than the $450k he currently earns. Puts a stop to managers trying to get more money for their clients and themselves. It also puts a stop to this nonsense of players wanting to play in a higher paid position they haven't played before eg Addo Carr to fullback.

One thing it probably won't stop is TPAS well over and above what his new club is allowed to pay.

Getting rid of TPAS MUST be the next thing on V'landys agenda.

Has he got the grapefruits to put a fire up Uncle Nick's backside?

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I read in the Sydney Morning Herald the other day that V'landys is planning a rule change over the summer with regard to players changing clubs before the end of their contracts. What is mooted is that if for example Addo Carr is on $450k at Melbourne and he leaves with a year to go then his new club can't sign him for more than the $450k he currently earns. Puts a stop to managers trying to get more money for their clients and themselves. It also puts a stop to this nonsense of players wanting to play in a higher paid position they haven't played before eg Addo Carr to fullback.

One thing it probably won't stop is TPAS well over and above what his new club is allowed to pay.

Getting rid of TPAS MUST be the next thing on V'landys agenda.

Has he got the grapefruits to put a fire up Uncle Nick's backside?
Sounds like a possible restriction of trade.. not sure he'd be able to get it passed..

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Sounds like a possible restriction of trade.. not sure he'd be able to get it passed..
I am guessing what the NRL would have to do is get the RLPA to agree to it so it is signed off as part of the Collective bargaining agreement and thus not challengeable in court.

That is how the AFL have managed to keep the Draft in the game since the mid 1980's.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Some very valid points you make mate.
I’d nominate you for the next available position as an ARL Commissioner.
You might have to revise your understanding of the acronym NRL beforehand though :-).
I have considered your proposal...Nah :grinning:
I worry, as soon as I join them they will brainwash me :fearscream: