News Lachlan Lewis Is Not The Answer

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
As soon as Steve Georgallis took over the coaching reins at the Bulldogs he made a number of changes to the squad including dropping young half Brandon Wakeham and recalling Lachlan Lewis, whom former coach Dean Pay had axed earlier in the year.

But in the three games he’s played since being recalled into the side, Lewis has been more of a liability than an asset.

He embodies the qualities of a brilliant Bulldog. He’s tough, tenacious and competitive. But at the same time he’s inconsistent and consistency is the one quality that separates an NRL player from a reserve grader.

Lewis’ kicking game has always been the one thing that’s held him back and it was no different in Saturday’s loss. He kicked one out on the full and his sixth tackle options were iffy. On top of that he was sin-binned for a nasty high tackle on Cameron Munster. When he returned to the field he clocked Josh Addo-Carr with a similar one.
Gerogallis said the high tackles came out of “frustration” rather than issues with his tackling technique. A game like that only paints Lewis as a liability.

With no chance of making the finals and Trent Barrett locked in as coach for next year, Georgallis really has nothing to lose in the final seven games so a change in the halves needs to happen.
There’s Wakeham and there’s Jack Cogger also waiting for another opportunity.

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I disagree.

His kicking game, running game, game management, passing game, game awareness and any defence other than a front on tackle have held him back from being anything close to resembling a first grader.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I disagree.

His kicking game, running game, game management, passing game, game awareness and any defence other than a front on tackle have held him back from being anything close to resembling a first grader.
You have summed him up extremely well - he was bog average in 20s and NSW cup - became noted for his front on defence - was given a contract.
Good sides just run a player with a bit of speed at him, get on his outside because he is so slow and create havoc for defenders on his outside.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Apparently if you believe the rumours, it was the board and Chris anderson pushing for lewis to be selected in the belief he is the best half at the club (without considering his limitations as a rugby league player, let alone a rugby league half).

The quicker we see the back of him the better it will be for the club. Im not saying Averillo, Wakeman or Cogger would have us in the top 8. Far from it, we are a very substandard team. But his hero ball, his arrogance, his own belief that he is a talented player are the worst aspects of him. If he knuckled down and did the simple things right, Different story. But when he comes out and states how good he is, and when he takes the dumbest options in game, you have to admit (even his fan boys) that he should not be a part of our future if we want to be successful. Waste of 30-35 games having him in the team.

Raysie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He has the shape of a 6, but not the brains, skill or speed.

Turn him into a beefy back-rower and lock him to one edge and I think he could actually turn into something that resembles a first grader.

I think Trent Barrett sees something in him, but I don't think Barrett sees him as a half. Good thing is we're bringing in a coach that knows what it takes to be an NRL half, so I have faith in his judgement either way.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Facebook is worse than here, people on there are seriously in lala land over Lewis haha
Half of those people probably don't even know who our starting team is, but yet feel the right to hold an opinion... and they're just parrots because the media give him so much airtime and they love his surname

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Serious question, if we were to tell him he's not wanted who the hell would pick him up? I doubt he gets a starting gig anywhere, even in England.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Serious question, if we were to tell him he's not wanted who the hell would pick him up? I doubt he gets a starting gig anywhere, even in England.
He's likely on $300k to $350k, yes we are that stupid, nobody and I repeat nobody is going to pay that for Lewis.

Barrett rang him apparently so he must be in the plans for next season.

Last edited:

Malpass

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I watched him in nsw cup for a few years ago and thought he's got to bulk up and play lock. Blind Freddy could see he's not a half .he's got no pace or acceleration passing game non existent
playing lock would offer another option for the team.
If he showed promise as a half I doubt raiders would have let him go...

Malla

Reaction score
At least he has potential. Better off finding out if he will cut it now rather than later.
Agree. I think he will do well under Barretts coaching, but I am not sure if this situation is built for Wakeham. There will be a bit of pressure on Barrett to get results. Don't know if he would be able to afford the time and patience with Wakeham.