Return of Corey Harawira-Naera should be at Belmore

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
The Bulldogs stood the players down. The NRL deregistered their contracts which caused them to be let go by the club not that the Bulldogs sacked them outright. The Bulldogs hands were tied once the NRL took over and then had no choice on the outcome.

I don't see CHN coming back.

youoboys

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Bulldogs fan here: the chimpster should have a run... he is cool

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So why is it that other clubs have reinstated players who are wife bashers, drug traffickers, assault of a German couple in New York and another performer lewd acts on a dog yet we have a player deregistered and let go because he broke club policy by exchanging personal details with a girl. Give me a break. Something not right there.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
If i was CHN i wouldn't return back.. as id feel the Bulldogs club overreacted excessively in their punishment against me..
The NRL saw fit to deregister him. No rational reason whatsoever for him to blame the club for his own mistake. If anything he should hold a grudge against the NRL due to its complete lack of consistency disciplining players.

If it’s a mafter of principle for him, he’ll have to go play super league!

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’m a bit more optimistic about CHN rejoining as it not only pales into insignificance to other indiscretions from players at other Clubs being allowed back but that I believe Greenturd was making life hell for us ever since he left our club and now we know how much he’s fucked up the entire game with money being withheld from clubs for the last 2 years which came to light earlier this year and he resigned before he was sacked. Certainly screwed us.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
People need to comment it on all dogs social media. Show CHN that the fans still want him, let him feel the love

bells76

Kennel Established
Reaction score
People blaming the club fmd he was de registered by the games governing body. Its like Qantas still paying a pilot that has had his pots licence torn up. The club has been helping him big time anyway

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
The club sacked him befriend the derego from memory.

I hope they have privately been good to him since.

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
I think a lot of you forget why CHN left Penrith. He was involved in there video scandal. And as far as I am concerned, I'd prefer to chase someone else. Let him be some other clubs time bomb.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
I think a lot of you forget why CHN left Penrith. He was involved in there video scandal. And as far as I am concerned, I'd prefer to chase someone else. Let him be some other clubs time bomb.
But honestly who cares about this stuff?

I honestly don't think any fan would turn down a match winner because he made a ss tape or got drunk and disorderly one night or any stupid stuff we hear about.

we only want them gone as an excuse when we don't want them for their performance. Hence why no one is calling for Jaydens return.

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
But honestly who cares about this stuff?

I honestly don't think any fan would turn down a match winner because he made a ss tape or got drunk and disorderly one night or any stupid stuff we hear about.

we only want them gone as an excuse when we don't want them for their performance. Hence why no one is calling for Jaydens return.
We should care, cause it's likely we will have another where there is smoke there is fire moment. The guy can play footy, but he doesn't have the brain to avoid trouble off the field. The Bulldogs shouldn't take him back, cause we are looking for a sponsor, and we don't need players around that only think about themselves.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
We should care, cause it's likely we will have another where there is smoke there is fire moment. The guy can play footy, but he doesn't have the brain to avoid trouble off the field. The Bulldogs shouldn't take him back, cause we are looking for a sponsor, and we don't need players around that only think about themselves.
But my point is so what? No one really cares about indiscretions off the field unless it's depraved like when the warriors player stomped and kicked the pregnant teenager in the stomach.

I know there's a sponsor issue but most companies who sponsor nrl teams are a bit dirty Blue collar themselves. VB, tooheys, Kia, ULM, National truck spares etc
The nrl doesn't get Rolex, American Express, Ferrari etc
If the media and teams backed the game and players up more they wouldn't even care

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
The Bulldogs are likely be the latest in a long list of NRL clubs punished for doing the right thing.

Former Bulldog Corey Harawira-Naera is reportedly a target of several teams, with the August 3rd deadline for registering players for 2020 approaching.

CHN was de-registered earlier this season after a pre-season incident was uncovered. He and Jayden Okunbor were dismissed from the club and banned from playing NRL.

That said, the incident is not one that will likely see CHN especially exiled from the game in the long-term.

Given the spate of injuries we’ve seen over recent weeks combined with Harawira-Naera’s undoubted talent, there is bound to be interest in acquiring his services should the NRL register his contract.

For mine, the Bulldogs should absolutely have first right of re-signing their former player should he be allowed back into NRL action, especially for 2020.

The Dogs did the right thing in sacking the player. The NRL deregistered the players regardless, effectively making the Bulldogs decision for them.

Therefore, the Dogs should be given the opportunity to re-sign their player on the same terms. If the Dogs should decide to waive that right then by all means yes, other clubs could take their shot should they so desire.

If the Dogs are not given this shot, then CHN could realistically find his way into a more successful side, possibly even on higher pay than prior to his stupid decisions that landed him in hot water.

What type of message would that send?

The Dogs face the very real chance that they become the next club in a long list of being hurt after doing the right thing.

Canberra were forced to sack Todd Carney after a string of incidents. He went on to win a Dally M with the Roosters.

*Deep Breathe*

Sticking with Canberra, they released Blake Ferguson after the player refused to front a hearing and going AWOL. His punishment? A premiership at the Roosters.

AFB is arguably the best prop in the game right now despite being correctly sacked by the Dragons after pleading guilty to assaulting his partner.

Zane Tetevano was sacked by both Newcastle and then Manly after pleading guilty to eight charges of attacks on his former girlfriend. Two Premiership ring.

Where did sacking these players get any of those clubs? Were they afforded the right to welcome back players who had successfully completed their rehabilitation?

The Bulldogs have every right to deny a return to the club of a player whose selfish actions disrupted their preparation for round one as well as putting the club into the media in a negative light.

They may very well thumb their nose at allowing CHN to return to the club, but they should be given that right rather than seeing the player they were forced to remove from the club walk into a big contract elsewhere.

We’ve seen successful clubs like the Roosters and (formerly) the Broncos deny sacking stars despite off field incidents. They’ve signed players returning from suspensions and reregistration and have enjoyed success as a result.

What motivation do clubs have to do the right thing by standing down or sacking players?

Only the clubs and their fans suffer while players post a faux apology on social media, sit through a day of supposed sensitivity training before cashing in and running out for finals footy.

It’s absolutely ridiculous but it happens literally every season.

I already hear it in the comments “you can’t sack a player then expect him to come back”. Somewhat true, but in circumstances where the club has done right by the game or has acted on direction of the NRL, there has to be a safeguard for the clubs.

At least an option.

Otherwise we’ll keep seeing clubs do the right thing in standing down players who have done wrong only to see them return to action elsewhere while the club suffers.

Alternatively there’s going to be a time where clubs simply refuse to sack players regardless of the incident. The NRL will be forced to make the decision and open themselves up to all sorts of issues from club land.

Ultimately, there’s no complete fix for player misbehaviour but something has to be done to allow the club some protection or advantage for doing the right thing.

The Dogs were forced to lose a very talented back rower due to an incident they could not have seen coming, and now face the very real possibility of seeing said talented back rower running around for another club as soon as this year through NO fault of their own.
Excellent post.

I'm reminded of when we released Willy Mason because we wouldn't allow him to get into a boxing ring for a stunt that could have sidelined him if he took a battering. He made a big song and dance, saying he wouldn't play for a club that wouldn't let him do what he wants in his own time. Nobody "owned" him.

He went to the Chooks, who welcomed him with open arms - and told him- "you don't do the boxing stunt while playing for us, either", and Willy said- "Sure. Whatever you say, boss".

SBW walked out on us; but was allowed to come back to the NRL and play for, guess which team?

The Dogs have a long history of doing the right thing, and the NRL undermining them by publicly supporting their disciplinary actions - but quietly allowing those same players back into the NRL, after the Dogs have replaced them and have no room in their cap to take them back. Barba was another example.

When I think of how the Broncos were allowed to keep Lodge, while we had to tear up the contracts of two players, I find it hard to believe the NRL administration offers all clubs a level playing field.

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
But my point is so what? No one really cares about indiscretions off the field unless it's depraved like when the warriors player stomped and kicked the pregnant teenager in the stomach.

I know there's a sponsor issue but most companies who sponsor nrl teams are a bit dirty Blue collar themselves. VB, tooheys, Kia, ULM, National truck spares etc
If the media and teams backed the game and players up more they wouldn't even care
I think your kidding yourself if you think those sponsors don't care. At best if you have players like CHN who have been in the news for all the wrong reasons, they would be looking for a discount, and given the current climate we would probably have to do that. Best you just look for similar players to bolster the team.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score

But it looks "more sincere" if he returns to the game, playing for another club. Proves he's not caught up in the "Bulldog culture" that journos have invented as a mark of disgusting behavior.

Elliott's past indiscretions will be forgiven if he signs up with the Tigers. Any new player we sign up will suddenly find a 5 year old video surface, of them doing something silly when they were younger; and the Dogs will be tarred with the "Bad Boys" label, all over again.

BULLDVGS

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Firstly, If I was CHN i would run as far as I could from this club. Dean Pay never liked him for some reason. He benched him and even had him in the centres a number of times. Secondly, to blame him and Okunbor for the Rashay's sponsorship withdrawal is laughable. Rashays were never 100% on board. With the Covid outbreak already underway at the time Rashays were ecstatic that something had happened that they could hang their hat on to walk away. Free publicity for them. Now they appear to be the good guys.
CHN was never in the centres with us......