Pay to be spared the axe for now... but Bulldogs’ $3m headache remains

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
I think if you get to a point where you have to tell a Coach he has 4 weeks to do something then you should already say goodbye.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I guess we will see just how much these players ‘back Pay’ over the next weeks starting this Sunday
They've literally backed him all season. It doesn't take a genius to see this by the players actions.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
  • David Fafita
  • Cam Smith
  • Chris McQueen
  • Ryan James
  • Proctor
  • Blake Green
All far better players compared to what we are working with at the moment.
Grant
Friend
Mahoney

Cotric
JAC

Fifita
Bateman

Welch

If we're only including contracted players or players reported to be breaking contract, we have to land four of these players. If we aren't signing players like this I don't think recruitment is going to be good enough for 2021. Since we haven't been aggressive (or at least haven't signed anyone, besides Thompson) since last November the player pool for recruitment has more than halved. I think it's unlikely we'll be able to land four of these players so hopefully we're able to get a few contracted players too. If we ended up with Friend, Cotric, Bateman and Welch for e.g. to go with Thompson, recruitment for 2021 would be a success.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
They backed him by leaking 60 points in the last two weeks
Context is important. The first 25 minutes against the Roosters when they scored all their points was on the back of six agains, penalties and errors (if this is a representation of the coach, Bennett is a shit coach). After the first 25 minutes we played well. I also think we were the better "team" against the Sharks and I think we were unlucky not to win that game. On paper not one player in our team gets in the Roosters team, it's also inferior to the Sharks roster. If you think a top coach could transform this team you're wrong. I'll accept someone like Bellamy would get us an extra win or two during the season but that's about it. Back to playing for Pay, if you can't see the effort the boys are putting in and fighting until the end (four multiple years now) you're a terrible judge.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
If we need
we need to start somewhere.

We should chase McQueen. we can easily build a team around him.
When did you last see him play? He's absolutely terrible right now and I'm not even sure if he's fit these days due to his injuries. I'd rather buy a Billy Magoulias or something lol.

Hopefully we splash the cash on a genuine strike forward (I think that's happening) and then start bringing through the youngster like Doorey and Topine in fringe roles. Also hope Stimson can bounce back from his injuries and get into a shape that isn't round..

Everything else needs to be invested into the spine (especially hooker) and centre...if no one is available then get creative with accounting and save the cash for the right player so we don't end up with more Napa's.

Riggs80

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don’t get the passionate defence of pay. What evidence does anyone have that he can all of a sudden be a good coach with superior roster . What have you seen in his coaching that that you will get desired results ?

Take Elliott out of the equation
Which player has improved under his watch?
Has attack structure that has failed year in year out changed at all in the 3 years he has been coach.
Why have the dogs performances been even worse under the 6 again rule than at start of the year , a good coach would adapt if he could coach( looking at you Seibold)
Lewis and Cogger what has he done to improve their performances and skill sets or how to manage last tackle options
What is the win ratio in first half of season when still a chance making the 8, back end of season wins are irrelevant

Look he shouldn’t get the sack as as contract expires this year , but he shouldn’t be coach next year .

as for those listening to Gus , phuulesase other than investing in juniors (at a club that has the most juniors , didn’t see him doing that at roosters No coincidence that they have more “junior / younger players “ coming through the roosters system than when he was there ) he is one of the worst gms. Talks about clubs not sacking coaches , he sacked about 3 coaches (including one that had team in the top 4), put players on 5 year contracts and then tried or did get rid of them

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
ask @DinkumDog . I thought you guys were mates and have the inside scoop with our current board? surprised they have not told you yet :fearscream:
I’m asking you though. We’ve all heard these rumours but I’d like to see them named by someone who brings it up

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
A few of the players are playing for a contract so I expect there to be more free flowing football as players chance their own arm as against Pays game plan.
Players like Tolman? He might start kicking from first receiver now ffs

Farcanrefs

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
  • David Fafita
  • Cam Smith
  • Chris McQueen
  • Ryan James
  • Proctor
  • Blake Green
All far better players compared to what we are working with at the moment.
You are hilarious. What nights do you perform at the Comedy club?

McQueen, Proctor, James (off a knee recon) and 34 years olds in Smith and Greene.

Digital won't come to the Dogs. We would have to pay over $1.3M per season. Too much.

As I said there is no off contract players that we can go after.

Friend will not leave the Rorters. We should go after Verrills for 2022.

2ndphase

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I’ve been pretty consistent on here saying my judgement comes in 2021.

Assuming we improve the squad and there’s no measurable improved result (ie: miss the finals in 2021) then yes, it will be time for a change and you can almost guarantee a rival ticket will challenge the board in early 2022 if their plan they committed to delivering fails.

As for the tradesman - his tools have been banged together from broken rocks. For next year he gets to shop at Sydney Tools :-).

Trust me I will be the first one on here saying I was wrong if that’s the way it goes - I just think it’s too early to call.
So you would be happy for Dean Pay to get the players that he wants with our so called war chest (remember we get one shot at this) then fails next year bring in a new coach and he's not happy with the players that Pay has brought in and wants to build the team that he wants?

Remember the contracts that Pay signs these players with are normally a minimum of 3 years.
So then us supporters will need to wait for another 3 more years.

Pay has not shown enough with game style,team selections and adapting to the new rules.
I think its too much of a risk with the war chest.

Dean Pay is a defensive grind out a game style coach.
The game is not like that anymore with the new 6 again rule.
We need a coach that will mix it up i understand we have below standard nrl players.
But a smart coach will play to each players strengths.

Last edited:

Big M

Kennel Established
Premium Member
Reaction score
Players like Tolman? He might start kicking from first receiver now ffs
Then I would applaud Pay for his forward thinking as I’m sure Tolman wouldn’t do it off his own bat .lmao

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
So you would be happy for Dean Pay to get the players that he wants with our so called war chest (remember we get one shot at this) then fails next year bring in a new coach and he's not happy with the players that Pay has brought in and wants to build the team that he wants?

Remember the contracts that Pay signs these players with are normally a minimum of 3 years.
So then us supporters will need to wait for another 3 more years.

Pay has not show enough with game style,team selections and adapting to the new rules.
I think its too much of a risk with the war chest.

Dean Pay is a defensive grind out a game style coach.
The game is not like that anymore with the new 6 again rule.
We need a coach that will mix it up i understand we have below standard nrl players.
But a smart coach will play to each players strengths.
All we're saying is if a top coach isn't available, which we currently don't see, Pay is the best person for the job and there's nothing to suggest otherwise. Everything you're saying can be applied to the next person if they're not a top coach. Pay has been in and around the team/situation for three years and has been learning on the run. I obviously also think he's exceeded expectations and the players play for him so there's no reason to sideways swap coaches. I also don't think Pay has that much of a say with recruitment, the board and recruitment team are dictating recruitment. TLDR, if a top coach isn't available, Bellamy level, Pay is the next best person for the job. I think people can make a case for Craig Fitzgibbon and Flanagan (but that's for 2022) but after that I don't want any other coach over Pay currently.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
All we're saying is if a top coach isn't available, which we currently don't see, Pay is the best person for the job and there's nothing to suggest otherwise. Everything you're saying can be applied to the next person if they're not a top coach. Pay has been in and around the team/situation for three years and has been learning on the run. I obviously also think he's exceeded expectations and the players play for him so there's no reason to sideways swap coaches. I also don't think Pay has that much of a say with recruitment, the board and recruitment team are dictating recruitment. TLDR, if a top coach isn't available, Bellamy level, Pay is the best person for the job.
LOL.