Pay to be spared the axe for now... but Bulldogs’ $3m headache remains

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Yes, everyone agrees with you but we have to wait until we know our 2021 roster before we start rioting or maybe we don't even have to...
Do they? 1 signature since November 2019, tick tock.

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He’s gone
Board won’t sack now
They’ll use the excuse we’ve given him every chance avail etc etc
We gave him long enough
It’s a family club yada yada
But they won’t extend
And I believe they’ve already got someone for next year
If this is true
No point in sacking pay and gaining some backlash from the media

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He’s gone
Board won’t sack now
We gave him long enough
But they won’t extend
If this is true
If he is, then as long as its Bellamy, Bennett or Wane we will be good as gold.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
He’s gone
Board won’t sack now
We gave him long enough
But they won’t extend
If this is true
I tend to think this is how it will play out too. If Pay isn't re-signed in the next month he won't here next year.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I tend to think this is how it will play out too. If Pay isn't re-signed in the next month he won't here next year.
and that means we have a top coach signed for 2021.

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Even if Pay goes on a 6 game winning streak is it really going to answer that many questions about his coaching ability?

The fact that they are so indecisive at this stage tells you everything you need to know. They don't have confidence in him otherwise it would have never got to this stage.
Have you ever thought that the issue with vetting rid of pay for next year is they don't have another coach sorted for next year? Bennett and belay are not off contract until the end of 2021.....so even if by some miracle we signed one of them then who coaches next year? It is not as easy as people think...yes most of us agree that we need an elite coach....but they aren't easy to come by

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
and that means we have a top coach signed for 2021.
There is no way we have signed a coach for 2021....the club doubt go behind pays back and do that without him k owing

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Have you ever thought that the issue with vetting rid of pay for next year is they don't have another coach sorted for next year? Bennett and belay are not off contract until the end of 2021.....so even if by some miracle we signed one of them then who coaches next year? It is not as easy as people think...yes most of us agree that we need an elite coach....but they aren't easy to come by
They would break contract. That's either going to happen or Pay will get a one year extension (we need to figure out which one now/soon) and we'll try and sign a top coach for 2022 (unless Pay pulls of a miracle). If no top coach Pay is obviously the best option for 2021.

BULLDVGS

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I listened to a podcast recently with Luke Thompson (it was linked on these forums, he was talking to two people from England) and he was asked what other clubs were interested in him and the only other club that was in advanced talks were the Warriors (that he mentioned at least).
Thats where I got it from

youoboys

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Bulldogs fan here: dean pay has bulldog DNA going through him and he knows what it means to wear the jersey. He is. A family man the bulldogs is a family . He has best interest in the club and the players he has. He has done an amazing job for what mess he had. They should sign him for another season to give him a change with a good team. $3 mil to speak of 3 superstars. DEANO!! DEANO!! DEANO !!

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well re-sign Pay then and hope for the best that he suddenly turns into a recruiting genius because waiting and waiting isn't going to work.

The longer they wait without some definitive plans for next year the more chance of it turning into a disaster.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Well re-sign Pay then and hope for the best that he suddenly turns into a recruiting genius because waiting and waiting isn't going to work.

The longer they wait without some definitive plans for next year the more chance of it turning into a disaster.
That's a board issue not Pay. Is there a top coach available, yes? sign him now for 2021, no? extended Pay for one year. We can't wait any longer on someone who isn't coming, every day that passes less and less players are available.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
That's a board issue not Pay. Is there a top coach available, yes? sign him now for 2021, no? extended Pay for one year.
It is a issue if players don't want to come because of Pay. Pay might not have full control of recruitment but he plays a big part in it.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
It is a issue if players don't want to come because of Pay. Pay might not have full control of recruitment but he plays a big part in it.
We have to pay overs. If you have a top coach we're still paying overs, just we're going to save a little bit here and there. I put and will be putting the blame on the board/recruitment team for not offering enough. All I have to say is the Knights were able to recruit from a much worse position with imo a worse coach (at best same level). We need to decide who's our coach now, either Pay or a top coach (Bellamy or Bennett level) and start recruiting.

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Bulldogs fan here: dean pay has bulldog DNA going through him and he knows what it means to wear the jersey. He is. A family man the bulldogs is a family . He has best interest in the club and the players he has. He has done an amazing job for what mess he had. They should sign him for another season to give him a change with a good team. $3 mil to speak of 3 superstars. DEANO!! DEANO!! DEANO !!
Just shut up already and get back into your holland hole in the ground

MichaelM

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Our restricted cap spend has been well documented - the board was clear that based on their assessment it would be 2021 before we were back on an even playing field.
So rank the current 16 NRL squads and tell me where ours sits - I did and I came up with 13/14.

Pretty much the same ranking as last year when I look at the 2019 squads where we finished 12th

That inexperienced squad had one marquee player in Foran who was invariably injured - we missed the 8 by 3 points!

So by any fair measure you would say Deano should get a pass mark for 2019.

In relation to 2020 it has been a bastard of a year - again the marquee is injured. We also lose CHN arguably our best attacking forward and our one ‘big’ signing in Stimson.

The rules are changed in away that I believe favours the stronger squads and impacts the strengths Deano has with his current squad, which was to slow the game into a dog fight.

Still this team puts in 100% every week which is a testament to the respect they have for their coach.

Swap just 1-2 players in every game we have played this season bar the Roosters match and we probably win!

So I say give Dean those 2 players and then judge him fairly.

A gun hooker and centre would make us top 8 - add a marquee half as well and we give 2021 a shake.

Try to be positive - so many of the negative posts display a sense of entitlement and a lack of reality!!

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Bulldogs fan here: something wrong bro? Calm down already. Why you on this site ? Your not even a bulldogs fan!
This coming from someone who creates various threads and posts of pure unadulterated crap, and who's "greatest team" has kimmorley at hooker.

You aren't funny, you are knowledgeable you are however sad boring troll who doesn't know any better

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Still no mention of any spine players.. We can sign ferraris out wide but our spine would still treat them like a beat up torana in 1st gear in the left lane of a motorway..