Pay to be spared the axe for now... but Bulldogs’ $3m headache remains

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
dear Natboy

we are so blessed to have you and other fascists as voting member to look out for our interests because the current board you voted in is doing a bang up job

again thank you for bringing up again that you are a voting member.

your sincerely
the kennel
Dear mafia wannabe,
I couldn’t give a flying fuck what someone like you thinks. Fascist? That’s hilarious. Apply for the board if you can do a better job under the circumstances. I didn’t mention I was a voting member did I? Thanks for your usual input of a useless, pathetic and catty comment

BULLDVGS

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
In his second-row playing career with the Dogs,
Rhyse averaged 0.4 tries, 35 tackles (at 95%) and 105 metres per game.

He was also more than handy with conversions. Rhyse landed the first 13 attempts of his NRL career before missing one from the right touchline against the Rabbitohs in round 18.
Rhyse kicked 20 consecutive goals since to push his season - and career - a record at one point to 33 goals from 34 attempts at around 97%.

Those are better stats than most second rowers the Dogs have had over the last decade and;

It was never a question about "if he was talented as some make him out to be". He was talented. Period.
My point is him leaving wasnt a mistake at the time. We had chn and jackson in second row. I said hes not as talented as youre making him out to be. Hes got talent, but im afraid not enough to be a sought after NRL player. This is a pointless argument.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Dib will never have any position of power at the dogs ever again because we are still dealing with his shit
And we're still going to be "lightly" carrying it until ~2024 as we're going to have dead cap space due to having to pay overs to attract players (we're going to have to sign them on ~3 year deals too, a part of the reason why they'd join us, more money and job security). That's why I don't see us being a realistic premiership contender until ~2024. A team like the Roosters or Storm have next to little (possibly no) dead cap space. I'm happy from next year on wards to be a finals/top eight team until ~2024. That's what I expect at least and possibly one year where we go really deep. We're basically trying to get back to where we were with Des.

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Ive been saying for yonks that a billy goat wont win you a Melbourne Cup.
But people still expect Dean Pay to win games with a mob of billy goats. Go figure.
I gave you a like because you used the word "yonks".

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
has any of the board been sighted or heard from recently? last I remember hearing anything was Lynne publishing her diary about the days leading up to signing Thompson

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
has any of the board been sighted or heard from recently? last I remember hearing anything was Lynne publishing her diary about the days leading up to signing Thompson
How often do you hear from other clubs boards?

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
How many boards are you aware of in terms of their activities, be that a rugby league club, an RSL or a major corporation? Boards are generally not public facing, they work in the background. The Bulldogs face is Andrew Hill and he’s been seen and heard of adequately recently.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
It doesn’t really bother me not hearing from the board or Hill. It’s the results that I care about and most of the communication form the club is just saying what you want to hear anyway.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
nice analogy, here's one for you

would you give the keys of a brand new $3mil ferrari to an "L" plater
Depends if he can drive it.
I dont think Pay is in charge of a "3 million dollar" team. And he has been part of coaching for about 20 years.
The team is sub standard by todays standard. They play as well as they can and will win a few games.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Do you have any problem with his selections of playing guys out of their best positions?, his bench and timing of those rotations?
No really, considering what he has to work with.
Casting bias aside, who would you have as our best centre pairing.
Who is your best forwards? He really hasnt got a lot to work with.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Just listened to the Six Tackles with Gus Podcast. Many (not all) on here seem to respect Gus’ football knowledge from posts I’ve read - well - here’s what he just said:

‘Theres many factors regarding why clubs are where they’re at both in a successful or unsuccessful phase. During difficult times, changing one thing such as the coach will have little to no impact for example. Give Wayne Bennett the Bulldogs roster and they aren’t going to win many more games. If you ask those who know what they need - the answer is 5 or 6 quality players. Those players are not always available and you have to keep breeding your own. The minute you stop breeding, you’re in trouble for a long time’.

Hallelujah.
The prosecution rests.
The answer is in rebuilding our squad, not in shooting those who’ve had very little to work with.

And yes, to those who say no-one will sign while Pay remains coach - well soon enough we’ll see how true that is.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Rhyse Martin was alright but he left for super league, if he was as talented as some make him out to be, he wouldve got a starting job at a rival club, hell even a bench job.
From what I gather he was the one leaking heaps of shit to the media and clarkys NRL page to air his grievances.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Just listened to the Six Tackles with Gus Podcast. Many (not all) on here seem to respect Gus’ football knowledge from posts I’ve read - well - here’s what he just said:

‘Theres many factors regarding why clubs are where they’re at both in a successful or unsuccessful phase. During difficult times, changing one thing such as the coach will have little to no impact for example. Give Wayne Bennett the Bulldogs roster and they aren’t going to win many more games. If you ask those who know what they need - the answer is 5 or 6 quality players. Those players are not always available and you have to keep breeding your own. The minute you stop breeding, you’re in trouble for a long time’.

Hallelujah.
The prosecution rests.
The answer is in rebuilding our squad, not in shooting those who’ve had very little to work with.

And yes, to those who say no-one will sign while Pay remains coach - well soon enough we’ll see how true that is.
Gus is my bible.

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score

Hallelujah.
The prosecution rests.

I reckon Gus would fit in nicely with us jackels. Welcome to the posse Gus!

El Padrino

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dear mafia wannabe,
I couldn’t give a flying fuck what someone like you thinks. Fascist? That’s hilarious. Apply for the board if you can do a better job under the circumstances. I didn’t mention I was a voting member did I? Thanks for your usual input of a useless, pathetic and catty comment
t
Dear mafia wannabe,
thank you for your valued input

every time I see your posts I'm over come with joy to see how well our club is doing and the words that come out of your mouth - "wait for 2021" confidence skyrocketing

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
t

thank you for your valued input

every time I see your posts I'm over come with joy to see how well our club is doing and the words that come out of your mouth - "wait for 2021" confidence skyrocketing
Cool

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score

Hallelujah.
The prosecution rests.

Is that simple though? You'll only find out if Pay can attract players after its too late because you'll have to re-sign him.

If he attracts players great but if he doesn't you're left in a worse position then we are now.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Is that simple though? You'll only find out if Pay can attract players after its too late because you'll have to re-sign him.

If he attracts players great but if he doesn't you're left in a worse position then we are now.
If a top coach is available, e.g. Bennett (short term option) or Bellamy level, it's all good to say that. The problem is from where I sit they're not available and we need to make a decision soon/now who our coach for 2021 will be. I don't think we can sit around waiting any longer (player recruitment) and I believe if a top coach (a coach with an aura) isn't available Pay is the best person for the job in 2021. What you say is true, but we don't necessarily have another option. I believe if we pay overs we can recruit a roster (we'd have to pay overs if we had a top coach too, we'd just save a little bit here and there). My reason for this is Knights and Nathan Brown and I don't really have to say anything else regarding that. We have a board and recruitment team, Pay isn't going to be the only person rebuilding/recruiting the roster (and to be honest he'll have very little say).