News Canterbury and Souths weigh up ANZ future

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Canterbury and South Sydney are weighing up whether they will play at ANZ Stadium again long-term as the rush begins to have the ground ready for an NRL return.

The NSW Government is expected to announce that crowds of up to 10,000 people will be allowed into ANZ and the SCG as of July 1.

That will give those stadiums a slight advantage, given they will be allowed to host an extra 2,500 people more than the next biggest venues in Sydney.

In the short-term at least, that could make ANZ Stadium a more attractive option to its regular tenants.

Canterbury are contemplating hosting South Sydney to allow the extra members to attend if the NRL agree to clubs returning home early and extra stadiums being used.

If the move is made, work will also have to begin quickly on the stadium to have it ready for July 5.

Preparations had already begun before the coronavirus shutdown for the now-abandoned two-year redevelopment of the ground.

While turf maintenance continued during the break in case any sport returned, the stadium had essentially been packed up and storage rooms cleaned out.

Long-term there are more question marks with the Bulldogs and Rabbitohs understood to be unhappy with how recent months have transpired.

Both clubs expected to play at Bankwest Stadium for the next two years, before returning to an upgraded 70,000-seat stadium in 2023.

Instead, they have seen Parramatta upgraded and Moore Park leap above the Olympic venue in the stadium master plan, before the upgrades were completely abolished.

Location-wise, ANZ Stadium is still seen as a good long-term fit for the Bulldogs given its proximity to their playing district.

But if a better financial option came along, there is no doubt the club would now seriously consider it.

They have already made clear to ARL Commission chairman Peter V'landys they would like to see Belmore Oval considered if a number of suburban grounds get Bankwest-style upgrades.

The club also still own a 35,000 square metre area in Liverpool that was originally part of the Oasis Project, and could be another option for a medium-sized stadium.

Souths are meanwhile canvassing their members for where they would like to play out of long-term.

Both the Bulldogs and Rabbitohs are locked into long-term contracts at ANZ Stadium, but that was signed believing the upgrade would be made.

The contract is effectively with the state government given the ground is government-owned, making moving around easier.

Meanwhile confirmation the NRL grand final and State of Origin will return to ANZ is expected within week.

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/6798373/canterbury-and-souths-weigh-up-anz-future/#gsc.tab=0

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'd be happy to play out of Bankwest as opposed to anywhere else IF Olympic park falls through. The amenities and atmosphere at Bankwest are unbelievable.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
FMD us & Souths get stuck without a Stadium & a small club with no fans & no local juniors like the Rorter$ gets a new state of the art stadium...

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'd be happy to play out of Bankwest as opposed to anywhere else IF Olympic park falls through. The amenities and atmosphere at Bankwest are unbelievable.
FMD us & Souths get stuck without a Stadium & a small club with no fans & no local juniors like the Rorter$ gets a new state of the art stadium...
I still can't believe Moore park aka SFS got a whole new rebuild LOL Fucking biggest rort

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oasis project

Still sends a shiver down the spine

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oasis project

Still sends a shiver down the spine
I didn’t even know that we still owned a parcel of land out there.
Perhaps our Club Med resort will be built one day in beautiful Liverpool.

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I grew up watching the dog at belmore,I also realise that in its current state,it would need a lot of money spent on it,but if the nrl is lobbying for Leichhardt,cambeltowon,and brookvale,,belmore is better placed than any of those venues,on a rail line parking for around 3000 at the club,great public transport,go for lunch at the club,couple of beers, walk down to the ground,back at the club dinner,a win win for supporters and the leagues club,we should b emailing our thoughts to the club,as I have.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
What I don’t get is why wouldn’t Liverpool want to bring a world class sporting, hospitality and entertaining precinct into the area? Fair enough the cost would be astronomical. But it’s a trade off, you can have 100,000 people coming into the area every month. Or you can just keep it as a residential community. And if they do want it to be a 3rd CBD it’s something they should entertain.

You’d easily get 4 Nrl games a month. Maybe 2 soccer games (they could even get a home team). And depending how competitive their rates are I don’t see why they couldn’t get concerts post COVID.

Shame it fell through to begin with. But would be good to happen even if it is 20 years on. Would be cracking to have a Bankwest type stadium within 15 mins from Bankstown. And with the location of the M5 traffic and parking shouldn’t be an issue for 20k fans. Food for thought.

ash160

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’d still like to go back to belmore. A lot of people say it can’t be done but I think it can. Vlandys is the guy to get something like this done...he’s been told you can’t do this you can’t do that since he started the job and he proved...yes you can, if you have the will.

berries1935

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im all for being full time at bankwest. Perfect size for us.

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I hate sharing and having anything to do with parra scum
Brilliant stadium however not a fan of using an arch enemies “home ground”.

Reactions: DT

Art Vandelay

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
do you really want to be full time at a ground that will always be known as parra home ground , considering it’s in parramatta .

Bulldogs need either Liverpool or Homebush , I can’t see government upgrading Belmore
Liverpool will eventually be another Parra anyway, makes more sense to base ourselves there moving forward as appose to Belmore...

enoughsaid

Kennel Tips Winner '04
Reaction score
Homebush is our home away from home and
Only 15 mins away from Belmore
Try getting to Parramatta on a Thursday or Friday night game

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Homebush is our home away from home and
Only 15 mins away from Belmore
Try getting to Parramatta on a Thursday or Friday night game
Homebush isn’t a home it’s a lifeless soulless stadium devoid of atmosphere.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
That’s definitely an eighties banner mate,
What ever happen to some of those oldies ( PARROT ) never missed a game.
Indeed it is mate. I remember seeing it several times at Belmore over the years :-)