Official Round 5 - Bulldogs vs Roosters - Discussion Thread (postponed till Monday night)

CeeEss

Kennel Established
Reaction score
We are disappointed about tonight, but I think in the last fortnight we’ve unearthed our best back since Barba in Avarillo. Happy days ahead! We’re one win out of the 8 and Foran is firing!
Agreed he looked really sharp tonight in attack. His defence was diabolical though, hopefully he'll learn a lot from the bath he was given. I'm still not sure of his ideal position, he looks to be an awesome broken field runner and could be really potent at fullback. I think he played in the halves as a junior?

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
And we knew that would be the case the minute the rules had changed. But have you seen a change in philosphy and attack from Pay since then?

No.. Instead we still use the same slow block plays with no one backing up in support on any run. Compare that to well coached teams and two and three players are supporting on every run..

Tucking it under the arm, playing one out footy and defending for your life will lead to more blowout losses unless you're willing to chance your arm yourself and put pressure on the other team.

Like you said, the bad teams will get exposed more than in years past and to be honest, against Manly and the Roosters the team got what it deserved. The thrashings will continue with Pay as coach as it's evident the players have given up and tuned him out. And there are still 15 games left!
It’s either Pay is incapable of adapted or he believes the players aren’t good enough to execute the adaptations. I think in this case two things are true.

For us to be any chance of winning under Pay we need completions as close to 100% as possible and water tight defence. That’s just not sustainable and with the new rules you can still do all that and lose but if you’re off on those it quickly turns into a flogging.

Pay has to make some changes Katoa for JMK and Wakeham for Lewis have to happen. JMK doesn’t provide any type of threat out of dummy half and although I’m not a big fan of Katoa it’s time to see what he can do because he definitely has more creativity then JMK. Lewis simply isn’t a first grade standard half and we just can’t afford to have his school boy passing ruining a whole edge of the field.

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just be patient they tell me. The andersons know what there doing they tell me.
I say u are all mad and need to straighten your lives up cause this board is a fucking joke.

SweetFA

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
And we knew that would be the case the minute the rules had changed. But have you seen a change in philosphy and attack from Pay since then?

No.. Instead we still use the same slow block plays with no one backing up in support on any run. Compare that to well coached teams and two and three players are supporting on every run..

Tucking it under the arm, playing one out footy and defending for your life will lead to more blowout losses unless you're willing to chance your arm yourself and put pressure on the other team.

Like you said, the bad teams will get exposed more than in years past and to be honest, against Manly and the Roosters the team got what it deserved. The thrashings will continue with Pay as coach as it's evident the players have given up and tuned him out. And there are still 15 games left!
We got schooled, plain & simple! Yes we have a roster with less talent & skill than most. Team selection last night, gee! Playing a corridor of RFM (his 2nd 80min game on an edge given he’s been a bench fill middle forward) with Lewis (no comment) Averillo (a fullback or half) playing centre & Meaney on the wing a NSW Cup quality FB at best defending on the wing. The Roosters targeted Lewis & Averillo & it resulted in 30 points. Harper on the bench & Crichton on the wing against Tupou & play our best winger DWZ in the centres.
As much as we criticise Tolman it was clear for all and sundry just how much work he gets through in & around the ruck. Ogden looked embarrassingly out of condition.
Pay has unfortunately surrounded himself with his ex Canberra cohorts Antonelli, Levinsky as well Hamilton in “recruitment”????? Let’s not forget the “skills” coach James. All have been a monumental fail. It’s also time Georgalis & Grimaldi get moved on.
Our attack is pedestrian we ball play before the line & our ballrunners run one out & never challenge the line. That’s poor coaching.
We’re yet to see Price’s stamp as Football Manager.
Our CEO seems more intent on waxing lyrical on COVID-19 protocols than examining the machinations of our organisation.
The time is nigh for an EGM for the the Chair to outline that there is an objective, they have set goals & are in the midst of progress & positive change.

The names Hughes Gary & Graeme come to mind as candidates for change.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Nope.

We stood there & thought the Chooks had Covid 19 & refused to tackle the fuckers.

I await your witty response.

Me waiting.

View attachment 15369
You’ve lost weight! Old husky Seibold should’ve told Matt Lodge the roosters were a frightened New York family. He would’ve smashed them!

Ant2611

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well Sweet.....that was the best post I think I have read in a very long time.
We got schooled, plain & simple! Yes we have a roster with less talent & skill than most. Team selection last night, gee! Playing a corridor of RFM (his 2nd 80min game on an edge given he’s been a bench fill middle forward) with Lewis (no comment) Averillo (a fullback or half) playing centre & Meaney on the wing a NSW Cup quality FB at best defending on the wing. The Roosters targeted Lewis & Averillo & it resulted in 30 points. Harper on the bench & Crichton on the wing against Tupou & play our best winger DWZ in the centres.
As much as we criticise Tolman it was clear for all and sundry just how much work he gets through in & around the ruck. Ogden looked embarrassingly out of condition.
Pay has unfortunately surrounded himself with his ex Canberra cohorts Antonelli, Levinsky as well Hamilton in “recruitment”????? Let’s not forget the “skills” coach James. All have been a monumental fail. It’s also time Georgalis & Grimaldi get moved on.
Our attack is pedestrian we ball play before the line & our ballrunners run one out & never challenge the line. That’s poor coaching.
Our CEO seems more intent on waxing lyrical on COVID-19 protocols than examining the machinations of our organisation.
The time is nigh for an EGM for the the Chair to outline that there is an objective, they have set goals & are in the midst of progress & positive change.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Lewis and Averillo CANNOT defend together, Lewis exposes Averillo who can’t defend in the centres
It's been apparent for a few weeks now that Averillo has no faith in Lewis. Even the Lewis kick try assist it looked like that.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score

Lots of good points there and a few I don’t agree with. There’s no way that Graeme and Gary Hughes will lead a coup against the current board they are tight with the current board.

Merimbula Man

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Agreed he looked really sharp tonight in attack. His defence was diabolical though, hopefully he'll learn a lot from the bath he was given. I'm still not sure of his ideal position, he looks to be an awesome broken field runner and could be really potent at fullback. I think he played in the halves as a junior?
Tough initiation for the kid, playing outside the imposter Lewis, he gets rubbish ball in attack and then gets left isolated in defense cause Lewis reads it about as well as Montoya and John Olive

SweetFA

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lots of good points there and a few I don’t agree with. There’s no way that Graeme and Gary Hughes will lead a coup against the current board they are tight with the current board.
I beg to differ the Hughes’ & Andersons’ aren’t as tight as you think- brother Mark is being sidelined & Lynne is allowing this to happen. She is going to come under very intense scrutiny.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I beg to differ the Hughes’ & Andersons’ aren’t as tight as you think- brother Mark is being sidelined & Lynne is allowing this to happen. She is going to come under very intense scrutiny.
I think that intense scrutiny has already started. I'm not sure Graeme is the answer either way he sounds like another dinosaur on his radio show.

khan

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Really good points there u make.

If you wana break it right down to the mynute there is alot of flaws in his selection, interchange and make up of the sqaud. Way too many, and the club need to wake up to this.

I dont feel for him tbh, as a coach hes incompetent.

Bring in a caretaker till they find someone. Our current situation is not developing progress at all.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
RFM and toomaga should be given a guard of honour by the rest of the team when they line up to collect their pay cheques. Tonight I feel they where the only forwards who seriously showed up.
Ye
Got two messages.

Luke Thompson just spotted boarding a departing plane in Melbourne back to uk.

Luke Thompson claims he thought he was signing with afl bulldogs. At least they have a sponsor.

Mates already smashing him [emoji23]
St Helens fans and management watching on :(... poor bugger now knows what he's got himself into.

Only upwards from now on ...let's hope.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
@Natboy am i to take your silence as nothing about last night was good ?
Sorry mate you didn’t quote me you tagged someone else. We were totally outclassed and out enthused. I saw some good things with the ball though and agree with the commentators

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
New york family qoute. Give the guy a break.

At least he shows his face in adversity.
We have different opinions there mate.
He should’ve gone to jail. We lost two players for legally sleeping with school girls (which I think they did the wrong thing by the way) but Lodge and grubs like Blake Ferguson & Addin Fonua-Blake are playing. Doesn’t seem fair