News Dogs rookie reveals the moment he learned of shock Round 1 call-up

FatDogSlim

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Lewis should just shut up and worry about himself. Even the best halves in the game don’t talk shit like that about their 1/2 partner

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
When injuries come in fair enough but stimson was good enough to be in storms 17 all year but not for dean please
If he isn't starting on the edge then there's no spot for him, simple as that. Unfortunately he looks far and unfit so he wasn't exactly banging the door down like Britt.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
If he isn't starting on the edge then there's no spot for him, simple as that. Unfortunately he looks far and unfit so he wasn't exactly banging the door down like Britt.
Maybe bellyache might get some tips from the kennel ,some players dont look fit but play well ,elliott has hardly been banging down the door but guess what hell be an automatic selection.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Maybe bellyache might get some tips from the kennel ,some players dont look fit but play well ,elliott has hardly been banging down the door but guess what hell be an automatic selection.
Bellamy? The same Bellamy that let him go? Lol. Elliott is a different matter and is obviously locked in for as long as Pay is coach, even then I'm not all that interested in Stimson until he gets into shape.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Who talks more shit?

Lewis vs Mbye?
We'll see in the next 3 wks.

Wakes did buckle playing Ccup week in week out last yr and even though he did ok at NRL level he did struggle after his debut.

Daustin

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
lewis should bulk up, he could be a perfect lock /14. He has good hands and kicking but not enough for your go to playmaker at the moment. Could be another wade graham type player and would be very handy off the bench if he could cover halves, hooker and back row

Daustin

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
also good luck to wakeham, well deserved. If he can replicate his performances for fiji he will be great for us. He looks like a natural playmaker when he's on the field which is something we've lacked. As long as he is solid he doesn't have to be too spectacular just focus on defence and make his tackles. local junior that has risen through the ranks, bulldogs fan all his life, same junior club as the greatest bulldog ever and now playing in the same jersey in a season opener against our biggest rivals. Hope he kills it

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Again how the fuck does Lewis get to wear the 7...

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Someone at the club needs to have a talk to Lewis and put him in his place, or maybe this is the clubs fault by constantly feeding his ego? Either way these type of comments from him are coming up way too often and it's really frustrating to see, can only imagine what sort of things are going on behind the scenes with him right now.

Anyway let's hope his actions match that of his words because right now he's speaking with the arrogance of an athlete that's at the top of his sport when in fact he's the complete opposite of that.

Really happy for Wakeham to get the spot in the starting 13...now let's hope it's a genuine opportunity and he takes it with both hands because we bloody well need someone in the spine to.
Wish we offloaded the fucker when we had the chance... Guess we are stuck with him for a while now, hopefully we aren't dumb enough to sign the up to early next time around

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Tell you what. Lewis' comments are pretty gash. Really doesn't support Wakeham much at all

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Brandon Wakeham will kill it. He can run, he can kick and he can read the game. His the sherwin we were waiting for. We have $550k to spend through the season. I won’t be surprise if we sign Jamayne Isaako mid season.
Isaako is overrated, we don't need him tbh had major second year syndrome and only seems to want to have a go when he's playing 9s these days

Daustin

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Isaako is overrated, we don't need him tbh had major second year syndrome and only seems to want to have a go when he's playing 9s these days
I think he has massive potential, his dad fell very sick last year and it seemed to really rattle him, that could be it. Would be a good pick up though hes a massive human, quick and can kick goals. I think he is a confidence player though

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I think he has massive potential, his dad fell very sick last year and it seemed to really rattle him, that could be it. Would be a good pick up though hes a massive human, quick and can kick goals. I think he is a confidence player though
Yeah maybe he could bounce back, but I'd rather just stick with Meaney

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Still pinching myself that Pay picked Wakeham. I love the selection but all the pre-season talk was about Cogger (not just from Lewis) and I didn't see anything in the Canberra trial to change that TBH. I wonder if Shifty or some senior players shifted Pay's thinking?

Will be interesting to see where Averillo plays in Canterbury Cup. Hopefully close to the ball.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Lachlan could have and should have refrained from comments regarding validation in the coming game against the Eels.

Whilst he’s technically accurate, it just sounds like he’s a jilted besty of Cogger.

In the process, he’s created unnecessary pressure on Wakeham.

He needed to back his teammate and show him he’s got his support, you can articulate that without sounding like your upset for your buddy...
Completely agree. The thing that stuck out from this interview was not Wakeham but Lewis' comments. Found them quite disrespectful personally. Don't doubt that he didn't mean any harm but all the same, brainless comments.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Brandon Wakeham will wear the No.6 jersey for the Bulldogs in the season-opener on Thursday night.
The 21-year-old has been in a neck-and-neck race with Jack Cogger, but Wakeham confirmed on Monday that he got the nod from coach Dean Pay.

“I got the news last week, I’m pretty happy and excited. I didn’t think I was going to get it but hopefully I play good on Thursday, try to cement my spot there for the rest of the year,” he said.

“We came into training last Saturday and (Pay) just put the team lists up on the board and I was there, No.6.

“I thought I played pretty good during the trials and put my best foot forward. I thought still at the end it was probably hard for ‘Deano’ to choose the No.6.

“I’m happy that he chose me and hopefully I won’t let the team and boys down.”

Despite two strong performances in the trials, the quietly spoken local junior still expected to see Cogger partnering Lachie Lewis in the halves because of the combination they formed in the back end of last season.

“Those boys finished last year off in the top grade and I thought ‘Deano’ would just go with them again in those early rounds and I’d have to play good footy in Canterbury Cup.”

His halves partner Lachie Lewis was equally surprised to see Wakeham’s name on the team list.

“I was (surprised). We trialled both times with ‘Cogs’, that was the starting side, they both had equal minutes. I was surprised, but that’s what head coaches are for. I believe in Dean and on Thursday we’ll see if he’s made the right choice,” Lewis said.

“I feel comfortable with ‘Wakes’ and I can’t wait to play. He’s a good fella and I hope we all play well so that things don’t turn around and we start pointing fingers.”

When Wakeham got the good news, he wasted no time in letting his family know. His mum – a diehard Bulldogs fan – was the most excited and has already cleared her schedule for the occasion.

“She always gets carried away, she gets nervous and stuff and she was probably jumping up and down at work,” Wakeham said.

“She said ‘I’ve got to go tell my work that I’m not working Thursday now,’ so she’s taking the day off to come and support me. She’s loved the dogs ever since she was born, my whole family go for the Bulldogs so they’ll all be there.”

Securing a starting spot in Round 1 is a big deal for any emerging player. But for this through-and-through Bulldog it’s a dream come true.

Wakeham idolised Sonny Bill Williams growing up and he made sure everyone knew it.

“I remember being a young kid living in Chester Hill, I wrote Sonny Bill Williams’ name up on the brick wall outside the house. Mum and dad weren’t too happy with that.

“I would have been maybe five, or six. It probably would have been after the 2004 grand final.

Back then SBW was the emerging talent in Belmore with the world ahead of him.

Now, 16 years later, the little boy who wrote a player’s name on a wall with black texter is the emerging talent and has the opportunity to cement himself as the future of the club.

“I really want to play consistent footy, especially in this first quarter of the season. With Kieran Foran, hopefully he’s back early and hopefully I can cement my spot there for the future and for the rest of this year.”

With the responsibility of a starting half, he will undoubtedly face some challenges.

At just 82 kilos, Lewis believes his young teammate will be targeted by the opposition. But he also backs him to stand his ground.

“He needs to work on his defence because they’re going to target him. He’s a young kid in the halves. Halves have it bad enough as is but he’ll rise to that challenge,” Lewis said.

“He’s got great skill, though he has big shoes to fill obviously with Kieran (Foran), we’ll all take a bit of that load and he’ll go do his part.”

When Wakeham takes the field on Thursday night it will be in front of a packed Bankwest Stadium against old rivals the Eels.

He knows what he’ll be coming up against but the likes of a 123 kilo Junior Paulo or a two metre tall Shaun Lane won’t scare Wakeham off from having a bit of bite about him.

“I think all the small guys are pretty chirpy and love to throw out those one-liners throughout the game. It’s good to have a laugh on the field when you’re tired and struggling.

“It depends how we’re going. If we’re going all right and doing a few good things, a few of them might get a spray from me but I don’t want to get carried away and not focus on the game.”
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...p/news-story/72673d0228a9befdbd660761c47554cd
Good luck bulldogs good luck Wakes...
Defense always wins games.
One thing I don't understand is Lewis making a target of Wakeham, as if the opposition needed reminding :rage:
Cogger's defense is worse anyway !